Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By mickemoose, November 15, 2004

I recently purchased an '05 Corolla LE (automatic) three weeks ago. I'm getting decent gas mileage (42 mpg), but tonight, I started having a problem with the CD player. I loaded (4) CDs into the player a few days ago and tonight when I used the CD player, one of my favorite CDs stopped playing and the "ERROR 3" message came on the screen. I tried ejecting all (4) CDs, but the player will not eject any of them.

When I press and hold the eject button (to unload all CDs) the "ERROR 3" message stays on the screen and the orange warning lights on both sides of the CD slot keep flashing. I must've pressed the eject button a hundred times and still - nothing - the CDs will not eject. Good grief, this is only the second time I've used the CD player since I purchased the car!

My other question deals with oil consumption. My '05 owners manual states (on page 179) that normal oil consumption for the Corolla is 1.1 quarts every 600 miles!! Man, that's what you call an oil burner! This is "normal" for a new car? My old '93 Ford Explorer with 112,532 miles (which I sold to help pay for this new Corolla) never burned a drop of oil in (12) years! It was a pig on gas, but it didn't burn any oil.

Also, the manual recommends that 5W-30 oil be used in the Corolla. What's wrong with 10W-30? Just about every car on the road has 10W-30 oil in it and besides, that's what the quick lube stations use.

I'm starting to wonder ...

I appreciate your comments and/or suggestions.

I have an '03 Corolla LE automatic. I cannot answer your question regarding the CD changer since my CD player is the single-disc variety, and it has performed flawlessly for the 2 years and 1 month I've owned the car. My guess is that yours needs to be replaced under warranty.

My '03 has never (to my knowledge) "consumed" a single ounce of oil. I've been using Mobil 1 5W30 since approximately 2200 miles, and never noticed any loss of oil on the dipstick - other than what I wipe off while checking it. If I had experienced anything close to the loss of a pint of oil at 600 miles, that Corolla would be plastered with "lemon" stickers and parked in the front lot of the dealer with an immediate demand for a refund! All joking aside, I rather suspect that you will not be seeing that kind of oil consumption, if any.

The Owner's Manual states that 5W30 motor oil is the type to be used. Why would you do otherwise? Granted, 10W30 may work, and be completely OK in a climate where it was fairly warm year-round. However, in cold weather, I'd expect 10W30 to result in lower performance, particularly with regard to fuel economy. Specific oil viscosity ranges are recommended for a reason, and unless you are qualified to challenge those reasons, I'd stick with what the Toyota engineers have recommended for your motor.

Also, make sure that you use only genuine Toyota oil filters of the correct type specified in your owner's manual, which is Toyota part number 90915-YZZA2.

I checked my '05 manual and it definitely says maximum oil consumption is 1.1 quart/600 miles. Then it says some crazy stuff about how it might look like your car isn't consuming oil at lower speeds because the oil is being diluted with fuel or moisture, "making it appear that the oil level has not changed." Then it says the diluting ingredients evaporate out when the vehicle is driven at high speeds, making it appear that oil is excessively consumed after driving at high speeds.

This all sounds like crazy talk to me. Is the premise that fuel or moisture would occupy anything like a quart of oil every 600 miles?? I even have a problem believing that dilution by fuel or moisture could account for volume in any amount detectable on a dipstick. That much dilution would be really bad for your engine.

I've also noticed also that the English usage in the manual is atrocious. My Corolla was manufactured in California, for the American market. It would be nice to have a manual that reflects that. I would buy a well written third party manual if anyone would publish one.

My old Camry with 100+K miles did burn/leak a significant fraction of quart of oil on every fill up. I don't anticipate my new Corolla being there any time soon.

I have an 03 Corolla S with 170,000km on it. No CD problems and it has never used a drop of oil between changes (I change at 20,000km (12,000 miles)

I agree with Larry on oil viscosity "The Owner's Manual states that 5W30 motor oil is the type to be used. Why would you do otherwise? Granted, 10W30 may work, and be completely OK in a climate where it was fairly warm year-round. However, in cold weather, I'd expect 10W30 to result in lower performance, particularly with regard to fuel economy. Specific oil viscosity ranges are recommended for a reason, and unless you are qualified to challenge those reasons, I'd stick with what the Toyota engineers have recommended for your motor."

At present, I am using Mobil 1 synthetic and Toyota filters. I couldn't be happier with the car. I converted from VW Jettas after over 20 years. The Toyota is better built, and much cheaper to operate.

• 200 posts

Genuine Toyota filters are not do-or-die for long life of the engine.

Guest Toyota-san

I checked my '05 manual and it definitely says maximum oil consumption is 1.1 quart/600 miles. Then it says some crazy stuff about how it might look like your car isn't consuming oil at lower speeds because the oil is being diluted with fuel or moisture, "making it appear that the oil level has not changed." Then it says the diluting ingredients evaporate out when the vehicle is driven at high speeds, making it appear that oil is excessively consumed after driving at high speeds.

This all sounds like crazy talk to me. Is the premise that fuel or moisture would occupy anything like a quart of oil every 600 miles?? I even have a problem believing that dilution by fuel or moisture could account for volume in any amount detectable on a dipstick. That much dilution would be really bad for your engine.

I've also noticed also that the English usage in the manual is atrocious. My Corolla was manufactured in California, for the American market. It would be nice to have a manual that reflects that. I would buy a well written third party manual if anyone would publish one.

My old Camry with 100+K miles did burn/leak a significant fraction of quart of oil on every fill up. I don't anticipate my new Corolla being there any time soon.

But are you having problems? Are you sure you didn't read it wrong? My manual states the measurements in Imp qts, qts, and liters. Careful, they don't make the method of measurement clear.

Topic List