Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Cleaning Maf Sensor

by kentoxboy, August 14, 2009

I have the code p0171 so therefore I want to clean the MAF sensor before replacing a new one. When I look at the sensor, there are two bolts holding it. Are the two small bolts a regular philip head or a special bolt?

Thanks

Regular phillips head screwdriver will work just fine. Don't forget to lube the o-ring on the MAF sensor before you put it back one. Silicone lube is preferred, but anything that doesn't eat plastic will be fine.

Don't forget to use the right kind of cleaner on it -- I use NAPA electronic parts cleaner; there are also MAF sensor cleaner sprays, too. Brake cleaner and carburetor cleaner may be the LAST thing you'd want to use.

^^^ Good point. Have to use solvents that are safe for the plastic and rubber in the MAF sensor - CRC makes a cleaner specifically for MAF sensors. Some will eat the plastic/rubber o-ring right away - some have chlorine as a solvent - which tends to stick to plastics and sometimes weaken them (cracks). If you can't find MAF solvents - some have mentioned that they were able to use throttle body solvents and some non-chlorinated brake cleaners. Just use sparingly, never really designed to clean a MAF, it will eat the plastic/rubber given a chance.

CRC: Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner

Item #: 5110

The first product specifically developed to clean mass air flow sensors. Increases horsepower & improves air/fuel ratio and MPG. Plastic safe-dries in seconds! Applications: Mass air flow sensors & housing

Browse all items from CRC INDUSTRIES

Favorites

Only: $5.22 / EACH

CRC Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner is the safe and effective alternative to "underground" methods of MAF sensor cleaning. Don't us aggressive chemicals like brake parts cleaners or carburetor cleaners on MAF sensors. These can cause serious damage to sensitive parts. Use CRC MAF Sensor Cleaner -- It's the right product for the job! It safely and easily cleans the MAF hotwires and electrical components without damage to the wires or plastic housing. Cleaning is simple, safe and fast. The whole job should take less than 10 minutes!

Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner benefits and features:

Safely cleans and protects MAF Sensors.

Plastic-safe and leaves no residue.

Increases horsepower.

Decreases hesitation and pinging.

Improves fuel economy and MPG.

Reduces rough idle.

Use every time you clean or change your air filter.

CRC: Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner

Item #: 5110

The first product specifically developed to clean mass air flow sensors. Increases horsepower & improves air/fuel ratio and MPG. Plastic safe-dries in seconds! Applications: Mass air flow sensors & housing

Browse all items from CRC INDUSTRIES

Favorites

Only: $5.22 / EACH

CRC Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner is the safe and effective alternative to "underground" methods of MAF sensor cleaning. Don't us aggressive chemicals like brake parts cleaners or carburetor cleaners on MAF sensors. These can cause serious damage to sensitive parts. Use CRC MAF Sensor Cleaner -- It's the right product for the job! It safely and easily cleans the MAF hotwires and electrical components without damage to the wires or plastic housing. Cleaning is simple, safe and fast. The whole job should take less than 10 minutes!

Use every time you clean or change your air filter.

Got any idea where I can get it for that price, and does a 1998 Corolla have a MAF sensor.

Just trying to save some cash!

I found it at http://www.allbatterysalesandservice.com/browse.cfm/4,3963.html . I know that kragen, auto zone or any of the larger retailers would carry it . Some match prices too. valvoline and gumout both have sensor cleaner too.
Thanks, I'll shop arround it was something like $9.00 at Salvo, but we do have an AutoZone. Now, I need a refresher because Corollas don't have something. I think they changed from MAP to MAF at some time.

Just trying to keep the gooles away, it now has 150,000 miles on her. No ping and running strong.

I buy CRC at autozone. Was around $5 last time I bought it. I believe you need a map sensor, not a maf. Check with a dealer to confirm. If I remember right they switched to maf in '01.

Yup, no MAF sensor in 1998-1999 Corollas, only MAP sensor (cannot be serviced, just replace). They switched to MAF sensors when then added VVTi to the 1ZZ-FE engines.

Thanks, just saved me 5 bucks. I think the map sensor is on the firewall, but the car runs great...so far.

P0171 Lean Mixture is more likely a bad exhaust O2 sensor or its eqivalent A/F Ratio sensor in some California emissions cars. If the car hesitates try disconnecting the O2 sensor. If the car no longer hesitates change the O2 sensor. The MAP sensor can cost $300; be sure before you buy one. You might try a salvage yard MAP sesor which will cost a lot less.

Ther is also the possibility the fuel pressure is too low. I would measure it before I would invest $300 in a MAP sensor.

Topic List