Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Timing Belt For 1993 Corolla Question

by amanoai, August 12, 2009

Looking through some old records, our 1993 Corolla had it's timing belt changed back in 02'. Through now, we've put 45k miles through this 2nd belt, 50k miles through the first one. Is this a non-interference or interference engine? Do I have to worry about it breaking?

Oops, forgot to add that ours is automatic and LE, I believe it's the 1.8L engine, if it matters.

The 7A-FE engine is a non-interference type - so there is little chance of engine damage occuring, if the belt breaks - but it is usually something that people change "before" they break. Even in a non-interference engine, there are other parts that could be subject to possible damage if the belt breaks.

Given the time and mileage you have on the current belt - you probably have a couple more years/several thousands of miles on the belt.

Usually they shoot for 60K mile intervals (5-10 years usually). You could probably go longer, but keep in mind that the chance for the belt to break goes up very sharply after 60K - 70K miles of use. The can let go with little to no warning, usually not a big deal - if it breaks, the engine will just stop. But if it happens to break while your merging onto a highway infront of a heavily laden semitruck - could be a bad day for many people.

Thanks fish. If the car doesn't have major issues within the next couple years, I think I will change the belt for sure. I'd definitely choose to change than to sit in the middle of the highway in rush hour, miss an important meeting, or strand my wife or myself in the middle of the night. default_smile

I have a 95 with 1.8 engine. I changed my first after 100K miles and the present belt has 95K. I'll be doing it and a number of other repairs shortly.

Looking through some old records, our 1993 Corolla had it's timing belt changed back in 02'. Through now, we've put 45k miles through this 2nd belt, 50k miles through the first one. Is this a non-interference or interference engine? Do I have to worry about it breaking?

Bikeman982

I drive a 1994 and assuming the belt was changed at 120,000 miles (before I owned it), then since it has 194,000 miles on it now, is overdue for a change.

They are supposed to be changed every 60,000 miles that means I should have changed it at 180,000 miles (didn't).

Car is still running fine - some day the belt make break, but hopefully not today!

Topic List