Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Intermittent Clutch Chatter

by Pawk, August 10, 2009

99 corolla 86K miles.

I have clutch chatter issue. It is intermittent, does not seem to matter if its cold or hot. Only does it when starting from a stop. I have not noticed a slip in other scenarios. ie, Like accelerating at highway speeds with the engine gaining revs but no speed gain... non of that.

I tried the Click and Clack clutch test. Pull up to unmovable object, put car in 5th gear, rev engine and release clutch. Mine died very quickly, right as the clutch started to grab. As it should have done. no chatter

The chatter is very pronounced. Nothing subtle about it, the cars shakes.

Shakes likes crazy, stop 30 feet away and start again and could be smooth as silk.

no obvious oil leaks.

I have owned 9 manual transmission cars over the years and have never replaced or worn out a clutch.

It would seem obvious that the clutch is on its last leg, but the sporadic nature of the symptoms seem strange..

any thoughts?

you might have broken or have a weak spring on the clutch and it only chatters when that spot is grabbing. I was quoted under $400 for a transmission shop clutch job and the home based craigslist guys only wanted about $250.$35 /hour plus parts. Things are cheap here because of the economy . Mine will chatter/slip sometimes too ,but usually only once in the morning or on a rainy day.

the shop can warranty its labor AND parts and replace your car if they catch it on fire or break it, the guy in his driveway can't do either.

Many of the "driveway guys" are licensed and insured these days. They are usually laid off certified mechanics trying to keep afloat by working out of their homes or small shops and garages they rent. . Many carry personal and small business insurance . You just have to weed them out like any start up company. Many of the established shops are using non licensed guys and $10/hour "parts changers" to fix your car. If I had a simple clutch job , almost anybody could do the work. If it was a driveability or electrical issue , of course I would take it to a highly qualified shop.

Here is the type of places i am talking about .Straight off craigslist.

Are you tired of getting scammed by mechanics who are not certified and insured by the state,then give me a call. We are a state certified and insured establishment, specalizing in engine rebuilds, engine exchanges, transmission exchanges, front suspension, starters, fuel pumps,brakes, diagnostics,altenators, and any other work that needs to be done to keep your vehicle runnning properly.We offer towing and a service shuttle service.Call Jim at 586-868-3849 We are an American owned and operated company. Mention this add and use our towing and recieve a 10% discount.. You will not find a better price in the area for a licensed establishment.

Dealership Quality at Back Yard Prices

Tired of looking for a tow truck or a shop that has reasonable prices, well look no further, we have several mechanics on duty 24 hours a day to serve your every automotive need. From a flat tire to engine rebuild. We quarentee the best prices in MICHIGAN. Fully licensed, insured, and certified give us a call at 586-215-6839 or send us an email at d_n_r_automotive@hotmail.com for a quote. Thanks for your time and let us handle your vehicle issues....have a great day

Topic List