Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

03 Water Pump Leaking

by Lee614, July 28, 2009

I noticed a pink crust under the water pump covering what I assume is the weep hole. How much time do I have until it starts to really drip/leak out.

Can I do the work myself? or is it too tight of a spot to do.

Plus I have an oil leak which is dripping on the ground and the oil is covering my ?a/c compressor? not sure--- it is in the far back, by the firewall and at the bottom. got an idea if the gasket is leaking on the engine or something else???

FYI I have 70k on my rolla.

other is brake time-- got any recommendations on front brakes pads and rotors?

My 2005 with 48000 miles on it has had the same "pink crust" by the weep hole area for about 2 years now. I never had to add anything, I guess the leak is so small that it only leaves the pink crust. As for the oil leak the only common thing I have seen is the timing chain tensioner o-ring. This tensioner is on the left side of the timing cover if you are looking at the engine from the belt point of view. If your looking at the front of the car its near the passenger firewall area by the power steering pump.

Pump life varies quite a bit. Could be weeks to years, after you see it start to leak. But once it starts to leak, just a matter of time. Changing it is not too bad - it is easier to get at than the previous engine generation.

Oil leak, have to find the source - dorman pointed ou a pretty common leak area on lots of 9th gen Corollas, the timing chain tensioner o-ring. Also double check around the valvecover - another spot that could have a likely leak. Best thing to do is to wipe up as much of the oil as possible, and suspect areas - then monitor closely for the start of the leak. Possible that the leak originated else where and just made its way to the A/C compressor.

Brakes - depends on your driving style. Hard to beat OEM brakes - composite material, quite and smooth operation. Ceramic pads have been well liked on this board. Many also like a more aggessive pad, like Hawk HPS, Porterfield, EBC, Carbotech, etc. - more initial bite, strong fade resistance, and still gentle on rotors. Just do a quick search on the forum, lots of topis on different pad choices.

My 2005 with 48000 miles on it has had the same "pink crust" by the weep hole area for about 2 years now. I never had to add anything, I guess the leak is so small that it only leaves the pink crust. As for the oil leak the only common thing I have seen is the timing chain tensioner o-ring. This tensioner is on the left side of the timing cover if you are looking at the engine from the belt point of view. If your looking at the front of the car its near the passenger firewall area by the power steering pump.
Dorman you are right-- that is the power steering pump. Links are to the images of the car. I was unable to insert images.

first picture is the pink crust. It isn't where the repair manual says the weep holes are.

pink crust

next two pictures are regarding the oil leak. It does look to be in the area of the timing chain tensioner assy. but it looks like it may be the seal of the timing chain cover. whatcha' think?

1st is under the car photographing up

oil leak from bottom

2nd is on top of the engine photographing down/side.

oil leak from top/back

What does it take to replace the O rings? (just remove both bolts or a lot more complicated than that?)

Topic List