Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Aftermarket Keyless Remote With Trunk Release?

by Sika, June 28, 2009

I have a 2005 corolla LE. I'm looking to pick up another keyless remote that has a trunk release button. When I bought the car, they told me it was going to be $700 to program it! Freakin' dealers. The remotes are easy enough to program (have done from ebay twice), but will it work with a feature that I didn't originally have?

Thanks!

• 1,424 posts
I have a 2005 corolla LE. I'm looking to pick up another keyless remote that has a trunk release button. When I bought the car, they told me it was going to be $700 to program it! Freakin' dealers. The remotes are easy enough to program (have done from ebay twice), but will it work with a feature that I didn't originally have?

Thanks!

No, because the remote trunk release requires separate hardware that your Corolla does not have, specifically the solenoid that triggers the trunk unlatch mechanism. If you get a remote from say a Camry, it will have the button, but it won't do anything.

As shipped from Toyota, your Corolla lacks any electronic control of the trunk lid. The reason your dealer wanted $700 for this is because they were going to take it to a mobile electronics shop and have a keyless entry/alarm installed and have the remote trunk release solenoid added by the shop. That job is about $700 for a mid line system. A two way communication keyless/alarm with telematics will easily cost twice that.

Kind of a let down that the car doesn't have this feature, but I guess Toyota has to draw the line somewhere. If they added every little thing that the Camry has to the Corolla, then there would be little reason to buy the Camry, a car that they make more money on.

Topic List