Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2009 Toyota Auto Transmission Question

by enotoga, June 13, 2009 in Toyota Corolla (2009 until 2018-19 “TNGA”)

I had a 2004 Corolla 1.8L with an auto transmission and loved it. Recently I bought a 2009 matrix which also has a 1.8L with auto tranny. I've noticed a difference in how the tranny feels. When I take my foot off the gas when traveling at about 40mph it seems like the tranny creates a lot of drag and tries to slow the car down, not extreme but I definably feel it. Almost as if its downshifting one gear.

Does anyone know if Toyota has changed anything about the auto 4-speed trannies since 2004 to account for what I've described. I guess it could be because the the 2009 Matrix is still so new (900 miles) that it hasn't loosened up yet. Any ideas?

There was a similar post to this on the boards from someone else with a very similar issue. I believe the transaxle programming has changed to add this "drag" to the car. The ECM will determine if it needs to hold a gear or not, depending on a number of parameters. I haven't seen any specs on the transaxle, but it is possible there is also a mechanical difference that would attribute to the drivetrain feel. But doesn't have a noticeable effect on overall mileage. The other poster had more miles on the clock, but possibly get better as the car gets used to your driving style.

This characteristic is a feature! Check your instant fuel economy gauge whenever you take your foot off the pedal at speeds over 40mph (or thereabouts). On my '09 Corolla, the reading will hit "99.999 within a second after removing the pressure from the gas pedal. You can use this on long declines where the minimal engine braking is desired, and burn no gas, since you're now in Deceleration Fuel Cut Off mode. Use this to boost you FE, along with Pulse and Glide.

This is a feature on all modern fuel injection cars, including my 99 Corolla. There is a Toyota White Paper to document this.

My advice, enjoy it, don't stress about it!

pulse and glide is a myth, you're still accelerating. maintaining a constant speed on flat stretches and then engine braking or coasting downhill saves fuel.

friendly_jacek

I had a 2004 Corolla 1.8L with an auto transmission and loved it. Recently I bought a 2009 matrix which also has a 1.8L with auto tranny. I've noticed a difference in how the tranny feels. When I take my foot off the gas when traveling at about 40mph it seems like the tranny creates a lot of drag and tries to slow the car down, not extreme but I definably feel it. Almost as if its downshifting one gear.

Does anyone know if Toyota has changed anything about the auto 4-speed trannies since 2004 to account for what I've described. I guess it could be because the the 2009 Matrix is still so new (900 miles) that it hasn't loosened up yet. Any ideas?

Doesn't 2009 have different engine? Not sure about tranny. The 2003-2008 generation also had the fuel cutoff feature on deceleration, but combined with up shift, drag is barely noticeable.

^^^ Yes - different engine and new transaxles (1.8L 2ZR-FE Dual VVTi and the 2.4L 2AZ-FE in the XRS (Camry motor)). I believe the 4-speed auto / 5-speed manual are carry overs, but need to double check the ratios to be sure. Different tuning in the ECM as well.

Guest 2009BlueS

According the the mechanic at the dealership, this auto transmission does not just lockup the torque converter only at the top gear, it can fade in and out at any gears by the ECM. I didn't buy that since I did not have much confidence in them because of other issues with my 11,000 mile 2009 has been consuming oil. Also, watch out for your oil consumption. As you may already know it is a pain to check the oil level because of the dip stick and dip tube design. The reading may show full while your engine is down a quart.

friendly_jacek

my 11,000 mile 2009 has been consuming oil. Also, watch out for your oil consumption. As you may already know it is a pain to check the oil level because of the dip stick and dip tube design. The reading may show full while your engine is down a quart.

I've heard that the consumption is only with the 5W20 oil and not 5W30 oil. Did you try 5W30?

ever_green

are you sure you didn't turn off overdrive?

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla (2009 until 2018-19 “TNGA”)