Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Thinking About Getting One Of These...

by Bitter, May 17, 2009 in Toyotas that aren’t Corollas

See every reply in these pages:

Not bad - pretty good reflection off the paint. Might try Poorboy's Black Hole finish glaze. Works the best on darker finishes - fills in swirls marks and gives the finish good depth. Link here - http://www.poorboysworld.com/blackhole.htm.

I haven't tried it yet - but it is on the top of my list to try on an old muscle car I have back home. Some posters on other forums swear by the stuff.

I may need to ask them about the swirl remover products because my car has a lot of 'spider webbing'...but really I don't think I'll put that much work into this factory paint since my front is sand blasted and all over the hood I have little 'craters' which is not uncommon on other celicas.

Looks pretty good. Impressed with the levels of moly in that sample - looks like a decent additive package too.

maxlife is some good oil evidently, as you told me. i went from on the full dot to touching the bottom of the full dot over that 5,000 miles.

that ought to help, used them a few times in the city last night..cabbied tried to make a left turn while i was in the middle of my right turn. one honk stopped him dead in his tracks. black car at night with a lot of street lights around viewed from the side...he probably did not see me.

Nice! How long did you have it in? Slightly noticeable change or considerably notice change in handing?

went in saturday and its a pretty good difference. definitely much less understeer and the car is more neutral. picked up a little speed around bends and snapping around a sharp corner i can pitch the car sideways a hair if i pour on the throttle at the right moment. tires are the weak link so are the struts which are beginning to get tired at 90k miles. those and springs will be replaced sometime later this year.

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v335/huzudra/car/DSC06611Large.jpg

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v335/huzudra/car/DSC06612Large.jpg

old one was really rusted and the endlinks were worn as well. back of the car is much more solid and only slightly more stiff when going over bumps and only when only one wheel hits a bump.

That's nice! The previous pic of the surface corrosion of that bar is almost unbelievable. I've seen some rusty bars, but that is the worst one I've seen. Nice excuse for an upgrade.

yea, the paint fell right off it as soon as it came down. its now at the body shop getting the hole in the floor repaired correctly (aluminum plate and structural cement). I'm driving the boss's spare car that sits at the shop...V6 Ford Contour "Sport". There is NOTHING sporty about this car. Its exactly like driving a Ford Taurus but its smaller. 170hp at the crank which is only 10 less than my 2ZZ, but its got to have broader torque being a V6....thing must weigh a ton though because it is SLOW. step on the gas and it goes but not like the celica does! also omg body roll!!! LOL. Sport is improperly used to describe this car.

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v335/huzudra/car/DSC06583Large.jpg

theres the hole, also got the broken fuel door replaced, whole job is costing me $330 which is about what I expected and well worth it because I want to keep this car. the sunroof mechanism broke so i have a new used one on the way to the tune of $400, whole thing with GLASS. no more plexi-plastic hazed up junk ontop.

That's a pretty decent job, almost looks like OEM - definitely worth the repair cost. Glass sunroof should be an awesome upgrade over the plastic. Little heavier, but will hold up much better. That reminds me to work on the one on the Matrix - make sure everything is well lubed and all seals checked for rot. With all the funky weather we've all been having, hadn't had much of a chance to open her up.

well he forgot to finish buffing the fuel door and attach it...but didn't charge me for it, just for painting it. I can rivet it on myself, but I don't know if I can remove the haziness from it myself. I don't think I'll use him for paint work again.

Finally put the passengers seat back in, but not before putting a layer of sound deadener on the sheet metal below the seat/back foot well. its just bare metal and pretty 'tinny' sounding. I didn't do the other side because I was getting too tired to pull it apart as well. another time! its fun how a little of that material goes a long way. My door skins will be getting some strips of it as well to make them a little quieter too.

Heading out at 2am to goto a tail of the dragon car meet, wish me luck!

Sweet! Have fun and Good Luck!

Didn't drive the Dragon, the weather on that day was supposed to be very wet (ended up being fine) but I felt like 'crud'. nasty headache and i didn't have any concentration at all. the trip down and then driving it would have been a chore, not fun. I did get to drive little river road (scenic 73) and 441 in the park. it was a blast, I did the speed limit around ever corner default_wink and will bashfully admit that I got into lift in 2nd on a few straights and easily stayed in lift in 1st around most curves except some of the U bends. hung out in 2nd alot, damn that exhaust tunnel under the car gets HOT inside the car!! I need some more insulation ontop the head shield under the car for sure, my foot was roasting.

Sounds like you still had fun - that is what counts! Yeah, I think everyone is feeling a bit off lately, the funky weather is not helping matters either.

the car was an absolute pleasure to drive, very easy to handle and I was no where near its limits. just sooooo predictable! fish, get one!

Its definitely on my list - if anything, just to have another 2ZZ-GE around the house. Also looking at some Elise/Exige as well - comfort wise, the 7th gen Celica is a no brainer and the 2+2 design is a seller. My significant other doesn't even like to drive my 8th gen Corolla around, once she got used to "lift" on the Matrix XRS. Spanking lift and running the A/C all the time is returning MPG numbers in the low 20's on that car!

now combine 2ZZ+better handling and you have a nice win. but PLEASE get the 6 speed, the auto is OK but if you're after some zip and actually like to use lift then get the stick.

on the otherhand...mr-2's are getting cheap if you don't mind not having a roof over your head. I'd have to have a cage built over the top and get raped up the butt for the fiberglass hardtop...and remove the convertible top/mechanism.

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v335/huzudra/car/DSC06959Large.jpg

Augmented the trunk light, just finished the soldering and wiring for a clean install.

I'll be getting one more for the other side, one for the GF's trunk (civic light is useless), one for my friends lancer and one more for ??? I have to do an order of 4 for a discount, $55 for 4 from Hong Kong via air mail. anyone want the 4th one? that comes out to about $15 and then whatever shipping to you would be. I'm not making money on this.

Topic List: Go to Toyotas that aren’t Corollas