Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Obdii-trouble Codes

By zcpro, April 14, 2009

Hi,

I need help understanding this check engine light report from Autotap.com diagnostic software. I know P0136 is an O2 sensor but is it the before or after the catalytic converter? Is P0171 a fuel line leak? default_unsure

Thanks for the help!!!

BTW: 2000 COROLLA VE 170K+ MILES

AutoTap Diagnostic - Version 3.10

Date: 4/14/2009 4:30:34 PM

Hardware Serial: 0059166043

Check Engine Light: ON

Time Since Codes Cleared: ---

Distance Since Codes Cleared: ---

Drive Cycles Since Codes Cleared: ---

Confirmed Diagnostic Trouble Codes:

Code: Description:

P0171 Fuel Trim System Lean Bank 1

P0136 O2 Sensor Circuit Bank 1 Sensor 2

Possible Diagnostic Trouble Codes:

Code: Description:

P0136 O2 Sensor Circuit Bank 1 Sensor 2

--------: EMISSION TEST STATUS :--------

Emission Status: <SELECT DATE>

Vehicle Model Year: <SELECT>

OBD Compliant: Yes

Misfire Monitoring: Complete

Heated Catalyst Monitoring: NotSupported

Comprehensive Component Monitoring: Complete

Catalyst Monitoring: Complete

Fuel System Monitoring: Complete

Evaporative System Monitoring: Complete

Secondary Air System Monitoring: NotSupported

EGR System Monitoring: NotSupported

Oxygen Sensor Monitoring: Complete

Oxygen Sensor Heater Monitoring: Complete

A/C System Refrigerant Monitoring: NotSupported

--------: FREEZE FRAME DATA :--------

Generated by DTC code: P0171

Fuel System Status Bank 1: CL-1

Calculated Engine Load: 49.4 %

Engine Coolant Temperature: 189 °F

Short Term Fuel Trim Bank 1: 12.5 %

Long Term Fuel Trim Bank 1: 25 %

Engine Speed: 3094 RPM

Intake Air Temperature: 72 °F

p0171 is a code stating that your engine is running on too lean a fuel mixture. There is several things that can contribute to this trouble code.

1 - Vacuum leak, your engine is taking in too much air somewhere

2 - Bad mass air flow sensor - fairly common, I would try cleaning with special mass air flow cleaner first

3 - Bad oxygen sensor

The P0136 code refers to the upstream O2 sensor, or pre-cat O2 sensor. Doesn't necessarily mean a bad O2 sensor - just that the ECM detected a lower than expected voltage from the sensor over a specified period. Possible causes are a short in the wiring, bad chassis ground, if the O2 sensor was recently replaced - could be an impedance mismatch (very common when using a non-OEM universal or aftermarket sensor). If this is the original O2 sensor and you've noticed either a steady decline in fuel economy (lazy or dying sensor) or a sudden drop in fuel economy (dead/dying sensor) - might be time to replace it.

The P0171 is probably related to the P0136 - as when the engine runs lean, there will be a higher oxygen ratio presence and the sensor will report a lower voltage. dorman68 makes a good point of trying to clean the MAF sensor first (in the airbox). Not usually a maintenance part, but many have been able to get good results with careful cleaning. After cleaning the sensor - reset the ECM and see if the codes come back. If they don't come back - probably was a dirty MAF sensor. If it comes right back - then check the wiring/connection to the O2 sensor before you replace it. Could be as simple as a corroded connection under the passenger side carpet, right next to the console.

Fish,

I cleaned MAF with AF Cleaner and cleared the code. It was fine for about two days and the CEL came back on with the same P0136 code? Where do I find the ground on the car? I want to check the wiring before I replace both O2 sensors. Thanks!

Ground is just about any metal on the car. Quick check for ground loops - using a high impedance multimeter set to millivolts, touch the negative battery terminal to various metal parts in the engine bay/body - should read close to zero volts everywhere - if you are picking up any significant voltage (10s to 100s of millivolts) - then you have either a ground loop(s) and or corrosion between the battery "ground" and the chassis "ground".

If I remember the colors on it, the O2 sensor should have 4 leads on it - 2 black (Heater + and -), blue (signal +), and white (signal -) on Denso OEM. Might have to pull back the carpet in the front passenger seat to get at them. The white leat and one of the black leads should read zero volts when referenced to ground (pick a good solid metal point in the car). If you are really careful, you can also check the resistance between ground points. I tend to not recommend that, as if you accidentally resistance probe a component that is particularly sensitive - like the O2 sensor signal wires, or squib for the seat belt pretensions/airbag, etc. - would blow something up or short the sensor out. Making a resistance measurement - the multimeter will apply a known voltage across the probes. Making voltage measurements, a high impedance multimeter is essentially invisible to the circuit at hand.

Fish,

I didn’t have a multimeter on hand but I did check under the car and found the O2 sensor behind the Catalytic Converter. It had two wires clipped (black and blue), I used some electric tape reattached the wires and heat cover.

I decided to pull some live O2 readings using my AutoTap software:

O2 SENSOR - Bank 1 Sensor 1 (mV), Fluctuated between 40mV to 870mV

SHORT TERM FUEL TRIM from O2 BANK 1 SENSOR 1, Fluctuated between -6.3% & to +6.3%.

O2 SENSOR - Bank 1 Sensor 1 (mV), Fluctuated between 40mV and 855mV

SHORT TERM FUEL TRIM from O2 BANK 1 SENSOR 2, stayed at 92% percent.

Does this mean both O2 sensors are working correctly? Is there another reading I should look at?

Thanks Fish!!!!!

Guest CorollaChuck

CorollaChuck,

Let us know how it goes!

I was about to order two universal Denso O2 sensors online until I check the wiring under the car.

Visit http://www.densoaftermarket.com/

Click on find my part,

O2 Sensor

Select your make, model, year, etc.

Write down your part number(s) and search in amazon.com. I think the front Denso O2 was $40 bucks and rear O2 was about $60. YOU CAN’T BEAT THAT MY FRIEND!!!

Good Luck!!! default_wink

CEL came back on after seven days! P0171 Fuel Trim System Lean Bank 1

I'm going to re-clean the MAF sensor and check for any vacuum leaks (lose hoses); any other suggestions besides replacing the MAF sensor if cleaning fails? default_sad

I would look at any vacuum leaks from the airbox to the throttlebody. Some good places to check are the top airbox cover (sometimes doesn't fully seat into the tabs in the rear) and the o-ring on the MAF sensor itself, make sure it is in good shape, lightly lube, if needed, with silicone grease or something that is safe for rubber/plastic materials. Make sure the airfilter sits well inside the airbox, nothing should be sticking out. Possible that the hose clamps are too tight (crushing the piping) or too loose (piping too sloppy), could be cracks/cuts in the 90 degree elbow piece. Any of the vacuum hoses running to the intake manifold and throttlebody are other potential sources. Throttlebody gasket could be bad, intake manifold gasket could have a leak.

In my case cleaning the maf didnt help and I had to replace it years ago. No code for me since. Hope the reclean works for you. Fish is right about the air filter cover being fairly easy to overlook a gap at the rear tabs. Happened to me once. 

Re-cleaning the MAF for the third time didn’t help [P0171 Fuel Trim System Lean Bank 1] and I couldn’t find any possible leaks.

Could it be my K&N air filter? default_sad

or could the oil for the filter damage the MAF?

Should I just replace the MAF with a remanufactured part? Or get a new one from a dealer? default_unsure

Thanks for the input!

Possible that excessive oil flung onto the sensor "cooked" the MAF. You can try running an OEM paper airfilter temporarily and see if the code comes back. If it does, then I would suspect a bad MAF sensor. See if the parts store has a return policy on the sensor, incase the new sensor doesn't solve the CEL (most stores will not except returns on sensors, unless defective). I personally like OEM sensors (O2, pressure, temp, MAF, etc.) - but many have used a reman or aftermarket one and gotten good results. Shop around for them - I've heard that some have gotten them for $60.

Topic List