Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By timkedz, April 8, 2009

Hello, everyone!!

I had a situation that I thought I should share with the rest of the group, here....

I was doing a little spring cleaning in my 2000 Corolla and I've come to a slight problem with the speedometer bezel "glass" while trying to clean it. There seemed to be some kind of liquid spattered on the glass and plastic part of the dashboard. The only thing I could possibly think it could be is some Armor All that might been spilled on it when I last cleaned and dressed the dashboard. The plastic part cleaned up just fine, but, the dried-up droplets on the glass refused to come off. I tried Windex on it and the drops still stayed there. I tried to clean it a little more aggressively and found out that the bezel cover is VERY EASILY SCRATCHED!!! Now, I have a scratched bezel and spots on the glass!!! It's not the worst looking....It can't really be seen at night at all and just slightly during the day with the exception of certain times of the day when the sun is just right and you can see not only the liquid drops, but, the scratches as well.

My question is; is there kind of chemical that could possibly take the scratches and spots off the bezel, or am I stuck having to get a replacement bezel.

Thanks,

timkedz

Could try Meguiar's PlastX plastic cleaner and polish. The stuff works pretty well on softer/flexible plastics that most of these cluster covers are made from.

I had similar spots on the Matrix - looked like some droplet of cleaner or solvent fell on the plastic. Sort of swelled up the plastic in that area (couldn't see it, unless the light hit it just right). Tried to rub it out with a universal cleaner - didn't do anything other than gum up the surface. Used PlastX, worked it into the affected areas by hand. Has a little bit of cut to it, but not enough to cause trouble. The resulting leftover can be cleaned up and polished out with a microfiber towel (watch how much elbow grease you are using, don't want to crack the plastic) or Powerball (just watch the speed and time, as it could be pretty easy to burn through the plastic).

Could try Meguiar's PlastX plastic cleaner and polish. The stuff works pretty well on softer/flexible plastics that most of these cluster covers are made from.

I had similar spots on the Matrix - looked like some droplet of cleaner or solvent fell on the plastic. Sort of swelled up the plastic in that area (couldn't see it, unless the light hit it just right). Tried to rub it out with a universal cleaner - didn't do anything other than gum up the surface. Used PlastX, worked it into the affected areas by hand. Has a little bit of cut to it, but not enough to cause trouble. The resulting leftover can be cleaned up and polished out with a microfiber towel (watch how much elbow grease you are using, don't want to crack the plastic) or Powerball (just watch the speed and time, as it could be pretty easy to burn through the plastic).

Plastx worked great for me.

Thanks Fishexpo and Bob for the quick response!!

I will give PlastX a shot and see what happens!!!

The bezel was previously removed by a former owner at one point, because two of the tabs that hold the bezel in place were broken off and there was a small piece of duct tape on one side, presumably to hold it on and keep it from rattling.

Worse case scenario, I will simply go to the local boneyard and look for another one to replace it. Trouble is, where I live, Corolla parts are very scarce for anything 8th gen, or newer.

Like I said in my original post, it isn't really all that bad, unless the light hits it just right, but, the fact that I KNOW it's there is very aggravating!!!!!

I'll let you guys know how the PlastX work out!!!!

Thanks, again!!!!

timkedz.

Thanks Fishexpo and Bob for the quick response!!

I will give PlastX a shot and see what happens!!!

The bezel was previously removed by a former owner at one point, because two of the tabs that hold the bezel in place were broken off and there was a small piece of duct tape on one side, presumably to hold it on and keep it from rattling.

Worse case scenario, I will simply go to the local boneyard and look for another one to replace it. Trouble is, where I live, Corolla parts are very scarce for anything 8th gen, or newer.

Like I said in my original post, it isn't really all that bad, unless the light hits it just right, but, the fact that I KNOW it's there is very aggravating!!!!!

I'll let you guys know how the PlastX work out!!!!

Thanks, again!!!!

timkedz.

Try 1sttoyotaparts.com or your dealer. Might not be too expensive.

Thanks, Bob, for the tip!

I'll try cleaning the bezel that I have right now with PlastX, first (Haven't gotten to it, just yet) and if it doesn't work the way I want it to, I'll give 1sttoyotaparts a try!!!

I appreciate the advice!!!

timkedz

Bikeman982

It is not really glass - it is plastic.

The most thorough way to clean it would be to remove it again and then use plastic cleaner.

Topic List