Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By IrisMG, March 25, 2009

I have to bring down my electric window, reach out my hand to grab the handle to open my driver's side door. Dealer says it's not the door handle that's broken but the assembly where the lock is that's broken over where the other end of the rod is. Wanted $500 to fix because of needing to replace whole "assembly", I said no way. Is there an easier, cheaper solution (besides, of course, continuing to roll window down and grab handle from outside)? Looking for ideas...

Thanks in advance

Sounds like the control rod, that runs to the interior door handle, either fell off or the clip broke. Not a hard fix - but you will have to open up the door to find out exactly what is wrong. if it fell off - you need to pull the control rob back out and reattach it to the handle. If the clip broke - same procedure, but need to get a new plastic clip. A junkyard or salvage yard would be your best bet. Not sure if you can buy just the clip at the dealership - as I don't see a separate part number for it in my electronic catalog (could be out of date).

Are u sure its not the handle or the rod just popped off the clip on the inside of the handle. did you take the inside handle off yourself and check? Its one screw and the handle comes out. It beats getting ripped off by a stealer.

Are u sure its not the handle or the rod just popped off the clip on the inside of the handle. did you take the inside handle off yourself and check? Its one screw and the handle comes out. It beats getting ripped off by a stealer.
I'm sure. When I had to replace my door handle, I put a green string on it so that it wouldn't fall into the door. When I undid the handle, the rod is still down in the handle assembly along with my string.

Sounds like the control rod, that runs to the interior door handle, either fell off or the clip broke. Not a hard fix - but you will have to open up the door to find out exactly what is wrong. if it fell off - you need to pull the control rob back out and reattach it to the handle. If the clip broke - same procedure, but need to get a new plastic clip. A junkyard or salvage yard would be your best bet. Not sure if you can buy just the clip at the dealership - as I don't see a separate part number for it in my electronic catalog (could be out of date).
Well, that Toyota part is what the dealer said would cost so much, plus labor of course. It's whatever that control rod goes into on the opposite end of the door handle that he said was broken.

My task, then, if I should decide to accept, is to figure out how to open up the door to look in there to see what's going on. I'd have to get my power window controls off some way. Guess I'd better find a Haynes and see if it's anything I want to tackle.

Thanks for your advice!

Well, that Toyota part is what the dealer said would cost so much, plus labor of course. It's whatever that control rod goes into on the opposite end of the door handle that he said was broken.

My task, then, if I should decide to accept, is to figure out how to open up the door to look in there to see what's going on. I'd have to get my power window controls off some way. Guess I'd better find a Haynes and see if it's anything I want to tackle.

Thanks for your advice!

the door panel is pretty easy even with power windows/locks. the lock assembly unsnaps from the top of the door handle front first then the handle unscrews from underneath with 2 phillips screws.the inside handle opener part of the handle is one screw and a clip. the door panel is held on with about a dozen plastic clips. I use a small putty knife next to each one to release them.the door panel then lifts over the lock post. that is about it.the rod that attaches from the door handle to the latch mechanism does not break very often. I bet it just came un clipped.

Its really only a 15 minute job.

Topic List