by simon7mm, March 19, 2009

What mileage are you getting??  

10 members have voted

1. 1. What mileage are you getting??

• 30-35MPG
    • 35-40MPG
    • 40-45MPG
    • 45+ MPG

I have a 2002 Corolla S - 5 spd. I have 275,000Kms, and getting the VVT-i code on occasion. I just checked my fuel mileage, and am getting about 7.3L / 100Kms (about 32miles per U.S. Gal).

Thinking of dropping another engine in the car, because I can get one for pretty cheap. Would be cheaper than repairing the VVT-i and the other minor things on the motor.

Wondering what kind of fuel mileage other people are getting to see if would be worth while to do.

Thanks

I've got a 2001 LE with AT with 120k miles. My lifetime mileage since I've driven the car is 41 MPG over 16k miles. I've had tanks (full to empty - no partial fills) over 45 MPG in the summer. Most of that driving is actually about 75% city.

I ticked the 40 - 45 MPG range. I'm assuming you're referring to highway mileage there. My actual range is from 38 - 43 MPG highway, but I'd call my "average" to be 41 mpg. That's long-range cruise at between 65 - 70 MPH. I observed the high end of my stated range, 43 MPG, while cruising at a steady 100 kph (62 MPH), but I don't normally drive that slow. That was just a day when I had a long trip to take and it didn't really matter when I got there. Of course, everything else on the road that was actually powered by an internal-combustion engine was passing me like I was in reverse! BTW, this is in an '03 Corolla LE with automatic transmission.

My city mileage, which comprises 95% of my driving, averages between 25 - 28 MPG, though I've observed mileage down to 22 MPG in the winter, with a lot of warm-up idling time burning gas at zero MPH.

I will be making that trip again Monday week after next; I'll post my latest highway mileage result upon my arrival.

TrueDelta conducts a real-world gas mileage survey that includes questions on driving style and driving conditions, so people can find the responses that fit the driving they do.

Results for 2002 and newer Corollas here:

Real-world Toyota Corolla gas mileage

We'll be adding more model years soon.

7.7L/100km (30.3mpg), and that's with a few highway runs and some hypermiling techniques thrown in. Needless to say I'm not happy.

I get about the same fuel mileage on my 2000 Corolla that Larry Roll does, about 23 to 27 MPG in the city during the spring, summer and autumn months and 20 to 22 MPG during the winter months.

Highway miles are anywhere between 32 and 39 MPG depending upon my driving habits. My all-time highest mileage ever was 43 MPG on the highway at a constant 60 MPH.

All-time worse city mileage was 18 MPG; 100% city driving in sub-zero winter weather with lots of prolonged warm ups and stop and go driving!!!!

Consumer Reports has rated the latest Corolla's mileage as 23 MPG City and 40MPG on the highway with an overall combined score of 32 MPG and that sounds just about right to me!!!!

timkedz.

I think I do pretty good with fuel mileage considering I go down about 6 miles of dirt road everyday twice a day. It generally takes me about 25 minutes go get from my house to the highway. Most of the time I don't go more than 15 miles without stopping as I live in a small country county in fact the only time I go farther without stopping is about once or twice a week when I go to the city. That said I average 35 to 36 MPG sometimes it's only 34 but usually that's when I'm taking my son to and from the bus stop alot which is only a 2 mile drive.

I think I do pretty good with fuel mileage considering I go down about 6 miles of dirt road everyday twice a day. It generally takes me about 25 minutes go get from my house to the highway. Most of the time I don't go more than 15 miles without stopping as I live in a small country county in fact the only time I go farther without stopping is about once or twice a week when I go to the city. That said I average 35 to 36 MPG sometimes it's only 34 but usually that's when I'm taking my son to and from the bus stop alot which is only a 2 mile drive.

Since you're on a dirt road every day, I hope you're changing your air filter on a reduced service interval. I believe they recommend changing it every 30,000 miles; I'd cut that at least in half -- perhaps as often as every 10,000 miles, depending on how it looks. This would also apply to a cabin air filter, if you're Corolla has one, since if it's dirty, it would make the A/C system work harder, thus further reducing fuel economy.

31mpg on the last tank, hoping for 32mpg on this tank. 30mpg on several tanks beforehand. Seems to like shell gas since mileage is up from the usual 26mpg I was getting around a year previous. Nothing different done to the car or with my driving to justify the mpg difference.

48.1 MPG on my last tank. All highway. Speeds of 50-60 MPH.

48.1 MPG on my last tank. All highway. Speeds of 50-60 MPH.

Yours is a 01 LE auto just like mine, has 27k more miles than mine, yet gets way more mileage consistently. Im doing good to get anything over 30mpg since thats pretty much what I get consistently, winter or summer. Does yours burn any oil like mine, or no?

You did not leave a space for my 1993 so I put that it is a 1995. I average 36-39 in mixed driving about 60-80% highway. I check my mileage every tank. last tank was mostly highway and i got 44. That is my highest ever. I had just changed the oil that week. My car is a 1.6 stick and has 265000 miles on it. amazing.

Does yours burn any oil like mine, or no?
It burns some. default_dry

48mpg with a engine that burns oil, how often do you hear that? lol

A lot of people would like to be able to say that including me, especially with gas at $2.49ga and climbing.

Double, yes that is great considering youre getting better mileage than a lot of us with corollas 9yrs newer.

48mpg with a engine that burns oil, how often do you hear that? lol

A lot of people would like to be able to say that including me, especially with gas at $2.49ga and climbing.

Double, yes that is great considering youre getting better mileage than a lot of us with corollas 9yrs newer.

Hypermiling works. default_wink

last tank was 4.95 gallons and 204 miles. you do the math. I am using 3 different oils in this change. I had some supertech 5w30,some o'reilly 5w20, some meijer 10w40 high mileage so i just mixed them .i figure i came out with 7w30. close enough. i do coast a bit and drive 60-63 on the highway.

I have a 98 a/t and i used to get anywere from 25-30 a tank +/- and it used to vibrate a lot under gear when fully stopped.

My buddy recommended me to clean the injectors w seafoam.

I was amazed how much of a difference clean injectors can make..default_smile im not making 48mpg like someone posted earlier but after the treatment the vibration stopped or al least it was reduced to the poind that it doesnt bother me anymore. and it improved my mileage just enough to average 30-35mpg+/- w mixed highway-city driving..

If ur happy w ur current engine and it dsnt give any trouble there should be no NEED to swap it for another one.

Thou if ur gettin a sweet deal on the other engine just buy it and keep it for when u really need to replace the whole deal.

Btw my 98 automatic corolla has +245***miles and still drives great!

Yees its the original engine. I checked the numbers they all match. Im the third owner.

*Update*

Just tuned up my engine, new pcv valve, some fresh oil and put a little catch can in there.

I want to see if the can helps to improve my mileage a bit.

Thou the oil i put in there is a heavy

15w-40. So im gonna do full fill ups to monitor the mpg i get now then compare it to what im gonna get when i switch back to 5w-30!!..

You need to add a option for 25-29mpg since there are a lot of corolla owners who do not get 30mpg+. I get 26-28mpg.

ever_green

it took me about 3 months of adding fuel injector cleaners every 4-5 fill ups to fix the rough idling issue. also removed the hood insulation pad which really helped in the summer. increased cold tire psi 37F 34R all-seasons, 38F 37R winters. Also switched to 5w-30 castrol high mileage from toyota oem oil. Switched back from synthetic to oem dexron iii transmission fluid. All this improved fuel economy to 30-33mpg from 26-28mpg.

also be aware not use acetone based fuel injectors. they will corrode your fuel lines and do more harm than good. get Polyether Amine-based (PEA) ones such as chevron techron, redline etc...

Topic List