Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Seatbelt Release Button

by RussLA, March 4, 2009

I have an '03 LE.

A few weeks ago, when I tried to take off my seatbelt, the release button wouldn't quite depress far enough so I couldn't get the belt off. I kept pushing it repeatedly and after a minute or so, it finally released. This has happened a number of times now (not every time), and of course it's a dangerous problem.

Has anyone ever heard of this and is there anything I can do to fix it?

Russ

Mine started to go before I traded the car.

Dealer changed both seatbelts on warranty.

Depending on state, might be covered.

Could try shooting some silicone lube or WD-40 in the latches in case they're just dirty and dry.

Thanks, Bob. It did occur to me to try some kind of lubricant but I haven't done it yet, mostly because it's not a sluggish button--it just stops dead a fraction of an inch higher than it's supposed to, as if it's catching on something or there's an obstruction.

But looking at the button and housing, there's no room to see anything down there.

I'll mention it to my dealer next time I'm there. My car has about 93K miles, so there's no warranty left, unless seatbelts have some special warranty.

It works fine most of the time, but it's not a safe thing to have.

Russ

Bikeman982

It is possible the seatbelt release has become worn and won't line up exactly as it should.

It is also possible that it has dirt or material inside which prevents proper release.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, Bikeman. That sounds more like what I might have. What I've discovered is that if it won't release, I just keep pushing the button repeatedly as I jiggle the metal insert on the end of the belt. But even that can sometimes take 15 or 20 seconds.

Russ

Topic List