Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By Meetloaf13, February 28, 2009

Hello,

I have a 2003 Corolla S, and I have pulled the stock stereo and am in the process of installing this:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_105KDPDR40/JV...R40&tp=5684

I have attached all wires to the wiring harness, and everything with the stereo is working beautifully...however, my naivete has posed me with a problem.

I purchased this dash kit, to convert my dash hole to a DIN unit:

http://cgi.ebay.com/toycomplete2_W0QQitemZ...p3286.m20.l1116

However, I am realizing that I don't have any sort of brackets, or anything otherwise to secure my stereo into the dash.

I am totally unaware exactly what I need, nor where I can purchase it.

I'm assuming I'm going to need some sort of brackets, as seen here:

https://www.amazon.com/AMERICAN-INTERNATION...l/dp/B00009QOPB

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thank you

P.S. the stereo comes with a sleeve, will I need to use that? It seems to block the holes where fastening bolts/screws would go.

Bikeman982

Hello,

I have a 2003 Corolla S, and I have pulled the stock stereo and am in the process of installing this:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_105KDPDR40/JV...R40&tp=5684

I have attached all wires to the wiring harness, and everything with the stereo is working beautifully...however, my naivete has posed me with a problem.

I purchased this dash kit, to convert my dash hole to a DIN unit:

http://cgi.ebay.com/toycomplete2_W0QQitemZ...p3286.m20.l1116

However, I am realizing that I don't have any sort of brackets, or anything otherwise to secure my stereo into the dash.

I am totally unaware exactly what I need, nor where I can purchase it.

I'm assuming I'm going to need some sort of brackets, as seen here:

https://www.amazon.com/AMERICAN-INTERNATION...l/dp/B00009QOPB

Thank you

P.S. the stereo comes with a sleeve, will I need to use that? It seems to block the holes where fastening bolts/screws would go.

Normally, (the replacement radio), if the same size, can use the existing brackets to mount into the car.

The radio install kit looks like it has what you need, if your existing bracket will not work.

I sometimes use old brackets and bend/drill them to fit.

It saves purchasing new brackets.

Hope this helps.

Dang, so I was hopeful after your post, but the OEM brackets interfere with the din converter piece I purchased, so I can't use them. I guess I keep looking.

I need something that only connects the back set of screws.

Thanks.

Sorry for the double-post...

So I tried bending the OEM brackets in many different ways to get them to work, but bottom line, when I got them in a good position to fit into the dash mount-points, none of the screw-holes lined up with my deck.

So, it's currently all hooked up, unfastened, and I can pull it in and out easily...if anyone knows of brackets I could purchase, that would be most apppreciated.

Thanks

Bikeman982

So I tried bending the OEM brackets in many different ways to get them to work, but bottom line, when I got them in a good position to fit into the dash mount-points, none of the screw-holes lined up with my deck.

So, it's currently all hooked up, unfastened, and I can pull it in and out easily...if anyone knows of brackets I could purchase, that would be most apppreciated.

Thanks

If the holes don't line up - a good drill works great.

Try marking and drilling holes.

That way you can use the same bracket.

It beats getting new brackets.

Thanks

Not a bad idea...too bad my drill & dremel are in another state in storage...perhaps I'll wait until then to finish the job =D

Thanks for the suggestions bikeman

I replaced my2003 Corolla factory stereo with a Sony and a dash kit purchased from Circuit City. The dash kit contained all I needed. It came with a plastic piece which screwed onto the stereo, and then you slid the head unit into the new mount and it snapped into place. Is your kit as shown in the ebay ad? Are there any other pieces that the ad doesn't show? It does not look like the same kit I used, but the ad says it has all you need to mount it. Anyway, sorry I can't help you more than that. Good luck!

Bikeman982

Thanks

Not a bad idea...too bad my drill & dremel are in another state in storage...perhaps I'll wait until then to finish the job =D

When a drill is not available - a hammer (or rock, if no hammer in this state), and a nail (or something strong and sharp like a nail) can be used to put holes thru some metal brackets.

Adapt, improvise and overcome.

i might go off bikes post and suggest your head and a sharp stone combined with some force to make holes to install the stereo. though the metal may be tougher than both you may instead install holes in your cranium.

whenever i've bought a stereo it came with either a mounting sleeve or brackets, and you had to use whichever was correct for your car. i suspect you need the sleeve, which will be available from sony if you call or email them.

Bikeman982

Thanks

When a drill is not available - a hammer (or rock, if no hammer in this state), and a nail (or something strong and sharp like a nail) can be used to put holes thru some metal brackets.

Adapt, improvise and overcome.

Might be better to wait until you have a drill and bits available.

Hello,

Thank you

I changed my stock unit the same week I bought my Corolla as I have done with my past three new vehicles. The easiest way for me was to just take it to the local auto sound dealer and they did everything for a very good price. I put the rear speakers in myself which took me all day long and should have let them do it for their charge of $35.00. I have a picture of the shelf if you want to see it.

If you bought the HU at Crutchfield, they usually send you the install kit too...

or are they starting to cut back on their costs?

tdk.

I have a 2003 Corolla LE. About a week ago, the cassette adapter I had been using to play my iPod thru the stereo system failed to eject after many attempts. In my frustration, I extracted it forcibly using a pair of pliers. I can only imagine that now my cassette unit is pretty much trash. So, how do I go about replacing the entire unit? I don't really need a cassette deck, a unit with a good quality AM/FM stereo with CD player and perhaps even XM would be great. Any suggestions? What is the procedure for removal/replacement of the deck? How do I fill the hole in the dash after doing so? Are there kits to adapt a new unit to one that looks more or less factory-installed?

I have ZERO experience in working with automotive stereo units. Any and all help will be appreciated, and PLEASE feel free to talk down and explain things in intricate detail, as I have no idea what I'm doing.

A good resource would be www.crutchfield.com - they have a fitment guide to what headunits will fit in the car and what accessories you need to make it fit, look, and sound right. They will also provide instructions to remove and install the components in the car.

Suggestions for headunits is up to what features you want the most, if you plan on upgrading the speakers as well, and your budget. Your 9th gen Corolla will take either a single-DIN or double-DIN headunit, unfortunately, the OEM finish panel will have to be replaced with a dash adapter / mounting kit. Some enterprising individuals were able to retain the OEM dash panel and fabricate mounts to hold an aftermarket unit it its place - this requires experience in fiberglass handling / body filler.

Critical tip for working with any audio/electric equipment, is to disconnect the battery first. Too many times I've seen some accident from inadvertently piercing the wrong wire, shorting across a panel, etc. Some cases, seen install guys monkeying around behind the dash actually deploying the airbags by accident. Though the likelyhood is very remote of this happening, it does happen.

Here are a few links that will give you an idea of how to go about removing and installing a new unit - the video in particularly, is very helpful.

http://www.neocarz.com/blog/2007/07/2006-toyota-corolla-radio.html

Topic List