Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

01 Corolla Headlight Aiming Mechanisms?

by buurin, January 21, 2009

I just received my pair of 01 headlight in the mail in preparation of changing the front end. default_biggrin

On a 98-00 there are two toothed wheel for controlling aiming in both axis. On the 01 headlight I found one toothed wheel and it seems to control vertical aiming. What is the mechanism for controlling horizontal aiming?

I'll have to double check - but I believe that there is only the vertical axis adjustment on the newer 8th gen headlamps (2001-2002) - there is no adjustment for horizontal. Don't know why Toyota dropped the other axis - maybe due to the projector style reflector and mounting in the body, less chance to have the beam pointed wrong.

sorry for the thread jack, but I have a somewhat related question: I've been using a philips head screwdriver to adjust my lights. Is there actually a headlight adjustment tool that I should be using? the screwdriver I have doesn't work all that well, and I'm worried that soon the teeth on the adjustment gear will wear down too much to be of any use.

I just tried on my new 01 headlights, and I believe the teeth are designed to mesh with a #1 Philips screwdriver.

Hint: Tape the screwdriver before use.

default_biggrin

I just tried on my new 01 headlights, and I believe the teeth are designed to mesh with a #1 Philips screwdriver.
Hint: Tape the screwdriver before use.

default_biggrin

Cool! you mean put like, electrical tape on the teeth of the screwdriver? will try that tonight =)

edit: tried it out, thought it was going to work, teeth of the wheel looked exactly like the screwdriver. Alas, screwdriver was *barely* too big to fit into the opening to get to the wheel. Ended up using a flathead instead :-P

Topic List