Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

20r Engine

By twinky64, January 18, 2009

Has anybody here have any experience with the 20r engine? Especially with the reliability and robustness.

Thinking about getting a '77, seems like its in good condition. Seems restored.

here is the ad: http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/974857299.html

Max

I can get fairly close to that - I had the 22R in an '81 Celica. Solid as a rock, no issues, and I bought the car used.

I can get fairly close to that - I had the 22R in an '81 Celica. Solid as a rock, no issues, and I bought the car used.
Can it be used as a daily driver? Also, at what speed is the engine turning on the freeway?

Max

I don't have the car anymore, so I can't tell you how it would behave now. In one of the more bizarre events in car ownership, it was destroyed when a building fell on it in the early 1990s. Previous to its untimely death, the engine turned about 2500 rpm at 65 mph.

the R series engines are built like a chevy small block, they just keep going and going. a friend in highschool had a pickup with a 22r that had around 300K miles on it, original motor and trans (5spd) and it ran great....carb needed some attention though but that was due to his lack of maintenance.

the R series engines are built like a chevy small block, they just keep going and going. a friend in highschool had a pickup with a 22r that had around 300K miles on it, original motor and trans (5spd) and it ran great....carb needed some attention though but that was due to his lack of maintenance.
My friend's 1988 Chevy S10 I-4 engine was known as the Iron Duke. It crapped out. The nick name should have been the Iron Dukie. He hates that truck and after watching the episode of top gear when they try and destroy a Toyota Hilux, he wants a toyota pick-up

i meant small block like the 350 and 305.

Used to drive a 1980 Celica ST with a 20R engine.... Excellent engine!!! Virtually indistructable!!! The car had well over 150,000 miles on it and it always ran flawlessly!!!!

Think of it as Toyota's version of the Mopar slant-six as far as reliablitity goes.......

150K miles isn't that much lol my 93 is 8k away from that and runs like a damned top!

Topic List: Go to Everything Else