Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By rjs07smodel, January 13, 2009

hey everyone,

I have a 2007 corolla that i recently purchased w/ around 40k on it. I noticed in the last few weeks that everytime I start it after its been sitting and is cold after about 20 seconds I can smell a very strong gas smell. I dont notice any leaks on the ground but this cant be good. Anybody have that happen to them or know what it may be or is it normal at startup? Any advice would be great!!!!

Thanks

hey everyone,I have a 2007 corolla that i recently purchased w/ around 40k on it. I noticed in the last few weeks that everytime I start it after its been sitting and is cold after about 20 seconds I can smell a very strong gas smell. I dont notice any leaks on the ground but this cant be good. Anybody have that happen to them or know what it may be or is it normal at startup? Any advice would be great!!!!

Thanks

Gasoline needs to vaporize in order for the car to start. In cold weather, fewer gas molecules vaporize, which is one reason why it is harder to start a car. But once the engine warms up, the gas is easier to vaporize, and the smell is stronger since the aerosol reaches one's nose. It also takes time for the vapors to move from its source into the cabin.

From where does the gas smell come: from the ventilation vents? around door jambs? "outside" the car?

Sounds like a leak somewhere, which probably doesn't show up until the gas is pumped from the gas tank, otherwise you would see a leak. Gasoline spilled from a major leak would not vaporize quickly in cold weather, so you should see something on the ground. But a smaller or more subtle leak may not show any obvious fuel. Rubber tubing and gaskets deteriorate over time, due to both the influence of solvents, chemicals, road hazards, etc. Obvious places to check are:

all fuel lines in the engine compartment

fuel lines from the gas tank

fuel filter leaks, cracks

fuel filter gaskets

charcoal canister leaks, cracks

gas tank (cracked)

faulty fuel pump

leaky fuel injectors

Gasoline leaks are very dangerous and can lead to engine fires if not taken care of quickly and properly.

Suggestion: with the car outside and a fire extinguisher handy, open the hood of the car.

Next, have a friend or spouse start the car, while you check for the smell. Does the smell seem to come from one part of engine more strongly than another?

check the car fax report on the car . was it in an accident? sometimes these things show up later and will point you in the right area of the car to look . also toyota is notorious for leaking/faulty charcoal canisters but you should have had a check engine light. has your mileage gone down? get that thing on a hoist before it strands you somewhere with a bad leak.I have been there/ done that. twice.

Allright, so i opened up the hood and cannot smell the odor. I took off the top plastic cover of the engine and inspect the gas line/rail and injectors. No leaks there. Followed the gas line to the drivers side frame and everything look just fine. It seem to only smell when first started in cold. After it runs and when warm, no smell.

Clean carfax, no accidents.

Allright, so i opened up the hood and cannot smell the odor. I took off the top plastic cover of the engine and inspect the gas line/rail and injectors. No leaks there. Followed the gas line to the drivers side frame and everything look just fine. It seem to only smell when first started in cold. After it runs and when warm, no smell.Clean carfax, no accidents.

I had the same problem with my '05 over the holidays. It seemed to be more noticeable before I filled my tank. I had maybe an 1/8th of a tank. It went away after I filled the tank and let it sit for a few hours. After it ran for a while and warmed up, no problem. Temps were around 0-10 degrees overnight.

I"m hoping that it is just because it is soooo cold out and it is running really rich at start up. I didnt notice it back in the fall or summer and it doesnt do it after its warm......

Topic List