Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Defog Probolems 2009 Corlooa

By Guest ToyotaJon, December 15, 2008 in Toyota Corolla (2009 until 2018-19 “TNGA”)

Guest ToyotaJon

Is anyone else having problems keeping their windows free of condensation?

I've had a Corolla for 22 years now and never had this before...

The defog A/C setting will clear the front window, but (especially if there are passengers in the back) the rear side windows never come completely free in cool weather. The rear window defroster has to be on all the time in cold weather.

In the summer & fall the front windscreen would regularly fog over unless I was running the defog A/C - which is not exactly great for fuel consumption, and I've never had to do this previously.

The A/C air recirculation is turned off so fresh air is coming in (in theory!) , the vents are open, and yes I've played with their settings and directions - all to no avail.

I've checked the cabin air filter, fan & A/C are working fine...

Any thoughts before I take this in to me dealer?

Just trying not to sound nuts when I go in!

Hello and Welcome to the forums.

Might have some contamination on the interior of the windows (plastic fog) - that is making condensation form more readily/harder to remove. Try cleaning the interior windows with a high quality auto glass cleaner (ie not Windex or similar household formula - they usually make the problem worse). Something like Eagle glass cleaner, Zap, or Stoners Autoglass cleaner.

The newer cars are much "tighter" inside - getting decent ventilation could be an issue. I've noticed this too - when I jumped from one generation to another - the cabin was much tighter (less outside noise) but also prevented enough air to circulate enough to prevent some condensation.

Guest buma

Is anyone else having problems keeping their windows free of condensation?

I've had a Corolla for 22 years now and never had this before...

The defog A/C setting will clear the front window, but (especially if there are passengers in the back) the rear side windows never come completely free in cool weather. The rear window defroster has to be on all the time in cold weather.

In the summer & fall the front windscreen would regularly fog over unless I was running the defog A/C - which is not exactly great for fuel consumption, and I've never had to do this previously.

The A/C air recirculation is turned off so fresh air is coming in (in theory!) , the vents are open, and yes I've played with their settings and directions - all to no avail.

I've checked the cabin air filter, fan & A/C are working fine...

Any thoughts before I take this in to me dealer?

Just trying not to sound nuts when I go in!

My 09 LE is not as bad as yours on defrosting. If I set it to feet and defrost it defrost OK. I have auto-climate.

When set to feet and defrost the A/C runs even when A/C light is off.

Look at your tach RPM. You'll notice it idles higher when defrost is selected even when A/C is off.. Dealer says it's designed that way.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla (2009 until 2018-19 “TNGA”)