Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By andrewp, December 5, 2008

Hi all,

Im running a stock 95 Corolla 7afe engine. Im wanting to do some minor mods to it to get some extra power out of it, first obvious one i reliased was better air intake as when i put the foot down it seems she wants to suck in more air then possible.

So I've looked at the K&N panel drop in filters? not sure if it will make any difference, hence im here to ask all you fellow Corollians? I was also thinking of changing the air intake vent from facing right to make it face straight so more air flows to the engine, not sure if this is a safe mod to do cos it sesm they have bolted that front vent tightly to the right, but anything is possible with the right tools

What do you all think?

cheers

Bikeman982

Hi all,

Im running a stock 95 Corolla 7afe engine. Im wanting to do some minor mods to it to get some extra power out of it, first obvious one i reliased was better air intake as when i put the foot down it seems she wants to suck in more air then possible.

So I've looked at the K&N panel drop in filters? not sure if it will make any difference, hence im here to ask all you fellow Corollians? I was also thinking of changing the air intake vent from facing right to make it face straight so more air flows to the engine, not sure if this is a safe mod to do cos it sesm they have bolted that front vent tightly to the right, but anything is possible with the right tools

What do you all think?

cheers

I have the same engine in my car.

I have not changed the air intake, but was considering it, as well.

Depending on the state - it may not pass inspection.

I have taken everything out of the engine compartment, including all the air intake parts.

It would not be too difficult to remove all the plastic tubing and also the airbox (with filter) and replace with K & N air filters.

You don't want to alter the intake to face forward, as it would suck in dirt, debris. and maybe water (rain), etc.

Check your air filter - replace if too dirty to clean off - it may make a difference.

Hope this helps.

hey thanks for your reply. Ok so I guess its best to leave the intake vent where is it, what the setup like in your engine, do you have any pics at all you could show me? I have been considering replaceing the airbox with a short ram cold intake system with K&N filter but the main problem is finding a pipe that fits the engine, Simota did make one specifically for the car, but Its quite hard to find unless i look overseas. Where I am we dont have engine inspections unless your driving a heavily modded import then the police may want to take a closer look at it. ha the joys of owning a innocent corolla default_biggrin

i ended up yanking the intake snorkel from behind the headlight and the duct that runs under the battery because i dropped a bolt down them. didnt put them back on, car felt more peppy.

Bikeman982

hey thanks for your reply. Ok so I guess its best to leave the intake vent where is it, what the setup like in your engine, do you have any pics at all you could show me? I have been considering replaceing the airbox with a short ram cold intake system with K&N filter but the main problem is finding a pipe that fits the engine, Simota did make one specifically for the car, but Its quite hard to find unless i look overseas. Where I am we dont have engine inspections unless your driving a heavily modded import then the police may want to take a closer look at it. ha the joys of owning a innocent corolla default_biggrin
I see intake mods on e-Bay for Corollas all the time.

My car is stock, since it would fail the state inspections, if it were not.

The only difference is that I bought my car from e-Bay and it came from Oklahoma.

It does not have the EGR and air recirculation that the CA made Corollas have in CA.

Fortunately, the inspectors overlooked that and it passes the state inspection, twice.

Bikeman982

I see intake mods on e-Bay for Corollas all the time.

My car is stock, since it would fail the state inspections, if it were not.

The only difference is that I bought my car from e-Bay and it came from Oklahoma.

It does not have the EGR and air recirculation that Corollas have that are intended for use in CA.

Fortunately, the inspectors overlooked that and it passes the state inspection, twice.

You can still remove the parts - as Bitter has done. They are meant to keep the air cooler, but making the intake air come further from the engine.

I would stay away from the K&N type filters. Remember, if it lets in more air, it is also letting in more dirt particles. Your best bet is to keep the volume of air the same, but decrease the temperature of the air coming in (which means it will be more dense).

ah ok so what would be the best way to this on a stock setup? i've been thiking of going for the k&n as I have heard some ok things about them...still deciding though

ah ok so what would be the best way to this on a stock setup? i've been thiking of going for the k&n as I have heard some ok things about them...still deciding though

I've used K&Ns on every car I've previously owned...

1989 Chevy Z24 [1989 - 1997]

1995 Honda Civic DX [1996 - 1998]

1998 Nissan Maxima SE [1998 - 2003]

1995 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP [2004 - 2005]

1995 Eagle Talon ESI [2005 - 2008]

and cars I currently own.

1983 Benz 380SL

1997 Corolla

2003 Nissan 350Z

2005 Ford Mustang GT

Not once have I had engine problems using them and I've noticed gains in performance, as well as, at least a 2 to 3 increase in MPG.

Because the K&N filter material is cotton gauze, compared to paper filters, it lets air through more freely and the red oil is what helps it trap all the dirt and dust particles as the air passes through it. Even if the filter looks dirty on the outter side, look on the inner inside and you won't see much soot, dirt, sand, etc because the trapped particles also help to enhance filtering.

In normal or typical environments, you can drive your car for tens of thousands of miles and you won't have clean it for a long time, possibly a few years.

But if you drive on a lot on dirt roads, smoggy conditions, sandy, or dusty areas, you may have to clean it a little more frequently, but it'll still perform as it's suppose to.

So, from my experience, I would highly recommend it.

If you have any questions, feel free to send me a PM or email.

okay bit of an update, if ordered the filter! should be soon, seems like i wont be dissapointed! next mod to look at is a new sports muffler...was thinking of getting a whole new exhaust system ye it would break my budget just a bit...changing the muffler would make a difference also in performance gain wouldnt it?

okay bit of an update, if ordered the filter! should be soon, seems like i wont be dissapointed! next mod to look at is a new sports muffler...was thinking of getting a whole new exhaust system ye it would break my budget just a bit...changing the muffler would make a difference also in performance gain wouldnt it?

Cool!

With regards to the muffler.

Changing it will make your car sound different and gain you a minimal amount of HP, but it won't make much of a power difference which you'll really notice.

You'll definitely have to get headers and bigger pipes to go along with the sport muffler. Then, you may feel the difference, but to get a custom exhaust setup like that will make a dent in your wallet.

hey ok, after weeks of delays and the original online store going bust and finally getting my money back from them, ive managed to another one on ebay and will be coming this week! finally!

When i did install it, i was planning on removing one of the resonators, (the one near the engine where the intake pipe connects) so that I can get a bit more noise from it default_tongue anyone else done this before? it wouldn't be bad for the engine or airflow would it if i did remove it?

cheers

okay after using the filter for 2 weeks, there is defintely a difference! car seems to breathe a lot better and doesnt hesitate in the 3k rpm -->

going to remove the resonator in the next few weeks so i will probably see another increase in response, ill keep you all updated.

What filter / intake did you end up getting? Was it just a panel filter or whole intake replacement (airbox)?

You definitely want make sure the car doesn't get too loud with the resonator removed. Our cars tend to sound flat and blatty when you remove the resonator. Minimal gains at best with a good increase in noise - resonator is not much of an exhaust restriction, as it is basically a straight pipe with a bulge in the middle - sort of like a glasspack, but no filler material in most cases.

Some have run multiple resonators in a row to get the sound just right with their exhausts. You would get the most gains with header than anywhere else in the exhaust system.

Topic List