Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Rear Brakes On An 05 Corolla

by Sika, November 15, 2008

I'm driving an '05 LE, with about 55,000miles on it. I live in Vegas, so lots of hot, desert driving conditions. I'm having the rear brakes changed out today. (They told me about it at my last oil change, but the guy told me it could wait until my next oil change). I'm always concerned that they are going to rip me off at the dealership, but because my car is still under warranty, I have everything done there.

How long do the rear drums normally last? They've never been changed, and I always use my parking brake, so I've had them cleaned & adjusted several times. I know the pads are normally very thin brand new, and it is a front-wheel drive car, but since I'm headed across country for the holidays, I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Thanks in advance!

• 1,424 posts
I'm driving an '05 LE, with about 55,000miles on it. I live in Vegas, so lots of hot, desert driving conditions. I'm having the rear brakes changed out today. (They told me about it at my last oil change, but the guy told me it could wait until my next oil change). I'm always concerned that they are going to rip me off at the dealership, but because my car is still under warranty, I have everything done there.

How long do the rear drums normally last? They've never been changed, and I always use my parking brake, so I've had them cleaned & adjusted several times. I know the pads are normally very thin brand new, and it is a front-wheel drive car, but since I'm headed across country for the holidays, I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Thanks in advance!

You do two things that will surely shorten their life.

1) You drive in desert conditions, which is not something you can help. Desert Conditions are hard on everything mechanical on a car.

2) You use the parking brake every time you park, which is what you are supposed to do, but it will shorten your rear brake's life.

I have known people who needed new rear rotors before 55k, so it is entirely possible that your drums are in need of replacement.

I'm with you in the sense that it is better to be safe than sorry, don't want to start out on a cross country trip in December with lousy rear brakes.

ask for the old parts back or tell them you'd like to see the new shoes and the old shoes side by side for yourself. yes, you will be a pain in the ###### for asking, but you can also then see with your own eyes if you're getting shafted or not. 55k is a little early for the rear drum brakes to be worn in my opinion.

Well, I had the brakes redone. I did look at the parts as well, and without being an automotive expert of any kind, they looked worn to me. I guess I just need to accept that there are some things that will start to wear on a 3-year old car, even if it's a toyota. That's ok. It's worth the hassle once a year to keep my car running smooth for the next 10.

Thanks to everyone for their support!

Bikeman982

Rear brake drums should be checked every time the pads are checked.

If the drums are scored or worn, they can be "turned down" and re-used, until they are outside of inspection limits.

Once too worn, they should be replaced.

The time/mileage depends on the driving conditions as well as the type of driving you do.

If you frequently use heavy braking, then it will be harder on the pads/shoes/rotors/drums.

Rear brake drums should be checked every time the pads are checked.If the drums are scored or worn, they can be "turned down" and re-used, until they are outside of inspection limits.

Once too worn, they should be replaced.

The time/mileage depends on the driving conditions as well as the type of driving you do.

If you frequently use heavy braking, then it will be harder on the pads/shoes/rotors/drums.

And remember a lesson I learned a few years ago on my van that had rotors less than a month old!

I got out of work one cold winter night and I guess I didn't touch the brakes until I was down the road a bit...and then an idiot when through the red light and I had to hit the brakes. Well, once I got on my way again after that.. I felt a shimmy as I warped one of the rotors. I guess it was because they were frozen or whatever, and suddenly got so hot that it warped. Now, in the winter, I always give the brakes a bit of a warm up ever since that happened.

Topic List