Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Headlamp Assembly Question

by tjmatulonis, October 29, 2008

Hi,

The headlamp lenses are looking pretty rough on my 2003 Corolla. Instead of going with the polishing route I thought about just trying to pick up some new assemblies off of eBay.

My question is whether anyone knows if a 2005 Corolla headlight assembly will fit in a 2003? I know if I look up the part number online they are different numbers, but I'm wondering if it might just be different in appearance, but still fit fine. Thank you in advance for any help.

I'll be interested to know the answer to this myself, since the headlight assemblies on my '03 Corolla are getting that typical yellowing that is common to the outer plastic shell. I wish they were made of tempered glass instead, but I'm sure that would be prohibitively expensive.

I'll be interested to know the answer to this myself, since the headlight assemblies on my '03 Corolla are getting that typical yellowing that is common to the outer plastic shell. I wish they were made of tempered glass instead, but I'm sure that would be prohibitively expensive.

the yellowing is pretty easy to get off. they sell kits that allow you to restore the surface of your headlights. they work pretty well. they consist of different grades of sand paper (you sand paper the headlights with progressively finer sandpaper) and there's also a refinisher you apply to the plastic surface of the headlight.

the yellowing is pretty easy to get off. they sell kits that allow you to restore the surface of your headlights. they work pretty well. they consist of different grades of sand paper (you sand paper the headlights with progressively finer sandpaper) and there's also a refinisher you apply to the plastic surface of the headlight.

Hmmm -- I've always wondered if such a kit were available. Do you know what it's called and where to get it?

I almost ordered this yesterday http://www.shop3m.com/60455033872.html

With shipping it comes out to around $21. There's even a YouTube video showing it in action. I suppose I could give it a try, but even if it comes out looking as advertised I've read that it then yellows up much faster because the protective coating is gone.

I'd almost rather just buy some nice used ones of aftermarket ones off eBay. I think you could get a pair for well under a hundred bucks.

3m also makes a uv protection coating that you can apply after you get rid of the yellowing. I think it comes in sheets.

Hmmm -- I've always wondered if such a kit were available. Do you know what it's called and where to get it?

There's a bunch of different kits out there but they all contain the same basic components (different grades of sandpaper and a refinisher). I just went into my local Autozone looking for it and they had a kit, it cost in the neighborhood of $20-30. I saw a similar kit at Walmart once.

And if you follow the steps properly and thoroughly, the results should last. I refinished the headlights on my '99 Prizm a year and a half ago and they headlights are still clear.

BTW, most of the kits I've seen don't require a drill. The kits I've seen use handheld sandpaper.....it works fine. I sandpapered my Prizm's headlights by hand.

I have a bottle of PlastX, bought at C$8.5.

There's also mentions of using toothpaste - I suppose cheapo Colgates on sale at 33c each works best, LOL default_laugh

But I can't bring myself to actually try either.

Bad_dude

I have a 1999 Corolla VE, anyone knows where I can get the hardware(nuts and bolts) to mount the headlights?

Thanks.

Topic List