Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2009 Will Not Start, Dash Flashing, Had To Be Towed

by BassPlayer, October 20, 2008 in Toyota Corolla (2009 until 2018-19 “TNGA”)

Just wanted to see if anyone else has seen this same issue for has some input to make me feel better. I have a 2009 base corolla, 5 speed. 10k miles. This morning it would not start. Will turn over but will not start. I tried many times. Also it seemed like all the dash lights/indicators were staying lit. When I called the dealer they asked if the steering wheel was locked when ignition turned off. The steering wheel was not locked as normal when key in that position.

It had to be towed to the dealer. I am concerned there is some kind of computer problem and wondered if anyone else has seen this. I am of course feeling bad about a new car acting this way. Its been a good car till this.

Thanks,

Dean

Based on the facts given, it would seem likely that there is some issue with the ignition lock/switching mechanism which is not permitting the proper signals to be sent to the engine's computer. The fact that the steering wheel doesn't lock with the ignition OFF would seem like a symptom related to the general failure of ignition lock/switch.

I wonder if this is going to be a common issue in '09 Corollas? Have you researched any recalls/TSB's on this issue?

• 1,424 posts
I wonder if this is going to be a common issue in '09 Corollas? Have you researched any recalls/TSB's on this issue?

Considering that the '09 has not been out for 6 months yet, there will probably not be any TSBs other than the standard ones about seat-belt extenders, etc.

My guess is either a faulty key or faulty ECU.

Its under warranty, so let Toyota figure it out.

BTW, the ignition switch on my Solara doesn't lock the steering wheel when you remove the key and I can assure you that it isn't supposed to.

Bikeman982

Just wanted to see if anyone else has seen this same issue for has some input to make me feel better. I have a 2009 base corolla, 5 speed. 10k miles. This morning it would not start. Will turn over but will not start. I tried many times. Also it seemed like all the dash lights/indicators were staying lit. When I called the dealer they asked if the steering wheel was locked when ignition turned off. The steering wheel was not locked as normal when key in that position.

It had to be towed to the dealer. I am concerned there is some kind of computer problem and wondered if anyone else has seen this. I am of course feeling bad about a new car acting this way. Its been a good car till this.

Thanks,

Dean

It's been a good car for 10K miles, but any car can have problems - even new ones.

You must have a warranty and the dealer should fix it for you.

Good luck. Let us know what they do to fix it.

sounds like a theft system problem, either the key has lost its programming or the theft system has a problem.

BTW, the ignition switch on my Solara doesn't lock the steering wheel when you remove the key and I can assure you that it isn't supposed to.

I'm curious as to why the Solara's steering wheel doesn't lock with the ignition OFF and key removed. You say it isn't supposed to -- why would this model be different from all other cars. At least, all other cars I've ever driven? I thought steering locks were standard-issue and considered to be a primary theft deterrent. 'splain, Lucy!

• 1,424 posts
I'm curious as to why the Solara's steering wheel doesn't lock with the ignition OFF and key removed. You say it isn't supposed to -- why would this model be different from all other cars. At least, all other cars I've ever driven? I thought steering locks were standard-issue and considered to be a primary theft deterrent. 'splain, Lucy!

Well for one, my Solara doesn't have the ignition on the steering column, it is on the dash board, so there is no mechanical linkage between the ignition and the steering column like there is on other cars.

The 2008 Camry doesn't lock the wheel either. I would know because I have extensively driven a 2008 Solara, two different 2008 Camrys (a XLE and a LE).

What is the point in the steering wheel lock as an anti-theft device when the cars have standard anti-theft keys and alarms?

The Fords I used to drive all had a steering wheel lock. Every time you took the key out you would hear a loud click and the wheel would move a little one direction or the other, then it was stuck in that position.

The new Toyotas I drive now allow you to turn the wheel after the keys are removed. The only way to keep the wheel "locked" is to turn it so the Toyota logo in the middle is upside down and take the key out while holding it there. That feature is not the lock you speak of, as it requires you to do something outside what you would normally do when turning off the car to activate it, but it meets FMVSS, so it is allowed to be that way.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla (2009 until 2018-19 “TNGA”)