Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Strange Sound Coming From Front Right?

by amanoai, October 15, 2008

93' 90k miles Corolla, recently I've been hearing a strange sound coming from the front right side (best I can guess). Not always, it's intermittent, one drive it is not there, another drive, it "appears". Best I can try to describe is a low hollow like sound, kinda sounds like when one empties a container of fluid upside down, the air that goes in, kinda like a "gunk" "gunk" sound. I haven't take it in yet due to the hard time of me trying to get it the sound to appear each time. Might be that it appears after going over some bumps but I'm not definite about that. Tires are pretty new, off the top of my head, maybe 2 years. I have a tire rotation coming up soon, I can wait and see if it moves to another area after.

Anyone take a guess? Would it be something with the tire, wheel, rod or other?

Bikeman982

93' 90k miles Corolla, recently I've been hearing a strange sound coming from the front right side (best I can guess). Not always, it's intermittent, one drive it is not there, another drive, it "appears". Best I can try to describe is a low hollow like sound, kinda sounds like when one empties a container of fluid upside down, the air that goes in, kinda like a "gunk" "gunk" sound. I haven't take it in yet due to the hard time of me trying to get it the sound to appear each time. Might be that it appears after going over some bumps but I'm not definite about that. Tires are pretty new, off the top of my head, maybe 2 years. I have a tire rotation coming up soon, I can wait and see if it moves to another area after.

Anyone take a guess? Would it be something with the tire, wheel, rod or other?

Could be many things.

Might be tires, rim, wheel beerings, even wheel well liner (plastic piece).

Might also be associated with brakes - rotors and pads, etc.

You can take a quick look underneath and see if anything looks odd.

Also jack it up and look under, and spin the wheel by hand.

Take the wheel off and look again.

Take off brake caliper and check rotor and pads.

May even be something from your engine compartment area, and not the wheel area.

Could be CV joint. ball joints, engine belts, etc.

Max

Might even be something in your glove box.

boy , that sure sounds like a bad ball joint i just replaced. it went gunk gunk but only on some bumps. trust me it will get worse. mine was ready to blow apart by the time i figured it out. 1 bolt ,3 nuts and its out. you need a tie rod separator and decent tools. those suckers are tight. jack the car up and take the wheel off . wiggle that joint with a big pry bar. it should not move. if it does you found it.

Bikeman982

boy , that sure sounds like a bad ball joint i just replaced. it went gunk gunk but only on some bumps. trust me it will get worse. mine was ready to blow apart by the time i figured it out. 1 bolt ,3 nuts and its out. you need a tie rod separator and decent tools. those suckers are tight. jack the car up and take the wheel off . wiggle that joint with a big pry bar. it should not move. if it does you found it.
One way to get the tie rod end out of the ball joint is to loosen the castle nut to be flush with the end of the rod, then tap it with a hammer, enough to loosen it.

Works for me. Putting it back together, I use a "C" clamp. Sometimes with a small piece of wood. Works for me.

if you swerve left and right, does the sound change?

Topic List