Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

New Member With A Few Questions

Guest Cubey

I just bought a 91 Corolla from my mom and she has been the only owner of it since it was new. I have done several upgrades to it over the years for her as it was the base model. Only extra thing it may have had was the AM/FM with cassette. I put in a cup holder, a factory clock and an inside adjustable driver side mirror after the original was broken off from her hitting smoething.

Durring the installation of the clock and cup holder, I found that the coin holders on the dash had wire harnesses behind them for options not included in the car...such as cruise control. The clock just had a blank plate there but the car was wired for a clock. I just had to plug it in. I'm wondering... did Toyota put the componants in for Cruise Control but simply removed the feature by not putting in the controls (and a fuse presumabley)? The wire harness for cruise is there behind a coin holder. Can you simply go buy a cruise control panel from a junk yard, plug it in and have cruise control? Or is it also missing the actuator, speed sensor and park/neutral position switch?

Also, I'm wondering if the doors have the wiring present for power locks and windows. Of course the door panels themselves and such would need upgrading but if so, that would be something to consider if I wanted it.

I just bought a 91 Corolla from my mom and she has been the only owner of it since it was new. I have done several upgrades to it over the years for her as it was the base model. Only extra thing it may have had was the AM/FM with cassette. I put in a cup holder, a factory clock and an inside adjustable driver side mirror after the original was broken off from her hitting smoething.

Durring the installation of the clock and cup holder, I found that the coin holders on the dash had wire harnesses behind them for options not included in the car...such as cruise control. The clock just had a blank plate there but the car was wired for a clock. I just had to plug it in. I'm wondering... did Toyota put the componants in for Cruise Control but simply removed the feature by not putting in the controls (and a fuse presumabley)? The wire harness for cruise is there behind a coin holder. Can you simply go buy a cruise control panel from a junk yard, plug it in and have cruise control? Or is it also missing the actuator, speed sensor and park/neutral position switch?

Also, I'm wondering if the doors have the wiring present for power locks and windows. Of course the door panels themselves and such would need upgrading but if so, that would be something to consider if I wanted it.

The cruise and power windows options are not wired in your car. The wiring in the dash is all there including a tachometer , clock , and lighter, but the rest of it is not. you would need a donor car for door switch panels, motors and arms , speed sensors etc.

Guest Cubey

The cruise and power windows options are not wired in your car. The wiring in the dash is all there including a tachometer , clock , and lighter, but the rest of it is not. you would need a donor car for door switch panels, motors and arms , speed sensors etc.

Yeah, I know about the donor stuff for the switches, motors, etc for windows but I was wondering if the wire is already present in the doors.

About cruise control, you said it lacks the wiring, but....

http://cubey.illiop.com/pics/albums/userpi...01/HPIM3069.jpg

That is what I find behind a dash coin holder. Although, that is only on/off I guess. But then the controls would be located someplace else, but where? The right controls is for blinkers and wipers. So where the heck would the other control arm be?

Bikeman982

You might have the switch wiring, but the sensors and actuators for the cruise control would not be there.

Also the windows are not wired for power and you would have to change the regulators and put in the motors.

Topic List: Go to Introductions