Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Rpm Around 2x1000 When Started Engine In Summer Morning

By TAC_on_08_Rolla, September 25, 2008

TAC_on_08_Rolla

Hello, I have a silly questions on my 2008 Corolla LE with about 13,500 miles. When I started the engine in the morning, the RPM is around 2x1000. It decreases to lower RPM 2-3 minutes later. This is during the summer time with 70-80 degrees in the morning. I probably understand if its the winter time. Also, when I put a gear in "Drive" and ready to take off, sometime I heard a poping noise; I'm not sure where the poping noise comes from. Is this normal for a 9th/any gen corolla? I'm just curious. Any feedback will be appreciated. default_blink

How recently had the car been driven before this happened? If it was more than a day - could be possible for the revs to stay up like that until the oil gets pumped through the engine. Could also be a stuck or sticking throttle actuator (system does not use a cable throttle - your setup is DBW or Drive-By-Wire). There was also a TSB for Corollas newer than 2005, to use a 5w-20 motor oil vs the spec'd 5w-30. Some concerns about engine oil crankability and oil flow at before and at operating temperatures.

As for the popping noise - depends on where the sound is coming from. Were you backing up at the time (backing out of a parking spot) or driving forward? Do you set your parking brake every time you park? Chances are - the noise if from the rear drums. I know on both my cars (8th gen Corolla + 9th gen Corolla/Matrix) - they will make a "popping" noise if you release the parking brakes, pump the brake pedal, or back out of a spot. Driving forward, I can sometimes get a little metallic tick or pop from the front brakes or rear drums (surface corrosion). More so if the car has sat for more than a day or if weather conditions are ripe for surface corrosion on the brake lining surfaces (all normal).

TAC_on_08_Rolla

How recently had the car been driven before this happened? If it was more than a day - could be possible for the revs to stay up like that until the oil gets pumped through the engine. Could also be a stuck or sticking throttle actuator (system does not use a cable throttle - your setup is DBW or Drive-By-Wire). There was also a TSB for Corollas newer than 2005, to use a 5w-20 motor oil vs the spec'd 5w-30. Some concerns about engine oil crankability and oil flow at before and at operating temperatures.

As for the popping noise - depends on where the sound is coming from. Were you backing up at the time (backing out of a parking spot) or driving forward? Do you set your parking brake every time you park? Chances are - the noise if from the rear drums. I know on both my cars (8th gen Corolla + 9th gen Corolla/Matrix) - they will make a "popping" noise if you release the parking brakes, pump the brake pedal, or back out of a spot. Driving forward, I can sometimes get a little metallic tick or pop from the front brakes or rear drums (surface corrosion). More so if the car has sat for more than a day or if weather conditions are ripe for surface corrosion on the brake lining surfaces (all normal).

Hi fish, thanks for your reply. I believed this happened when I first bought the car one year ago on Septempber 2007. Didn't pay much attention on the RPM then since it's a new car. I thought this might be normal since I never bought/had a corolla before. Regardless of summer or winter, it seems like the RPM is usually around 2x1000 when I first started the engine. Probaby a little more higher in winter time. I'm just curious if anyone has this issue or not an issue at all. If all 9th gen or 2008 corolla suppose to be like that on the RPM, i can live with it.

As for the popping noise, I do use parking brakes sometime. The popping noise happened when I put the gear in "Drive" and pull forward to take off. It didn't happened every time. Just whenever it feels like it. I'll pay more attention to see if it would make a popping noise when I use the parking brakes or not. I understand that it's a corolla NOT a Lexus or BMW but I feel like the ALL the parts are made in China. I could be wrong though and someone please correct or tell me on where the parts are made. Before I bought this car, I went to a Honda dealer and they showed where the parts, engine, and transmission were made on the new cars window by percentage; either Japan, Canada, US, etc. but I don't see that on my corolla when I bought it. Thanks again for any input.

Sounds like RPM could be a bit high - if I drive any of my cars, park and allow it to cool several hours, restarting generally does not see a gross increase in RPMs, maybe hits 1200-1500 RPMs briefly and then comes back to around 1000 RPMs or less within two minutes. There are reports of unusually high RPMs with the DBW Corollas - they generally don't get much attention unless they affect driveability, ie. the car will run away if stuck into drive. If you shift into gear - does the RPMs drop to a reasonable level? If yes, you are probably experiencing a "feature" of the DBW system. If not - then you should probably bring the car in to be diagnosed. At the very least - get a paper trail started on this issue.

As for parts content - depends on where the car was made: Canada, US, or Japan. Domestic content wise - the 9th gen Corollas are around 65% mark for US/Canada parts and manufacturing (Matrix = 70%). The newer 10th gen Corollas (2009+) have dropped some - they are at 50% Domestic content (US/Canada). This number would be on the window sticker - if you get a chance, take a peek at it. I know when I bought by cars, the dealership always stuck the window sticker into a folder for me. If I remember correctly, my 8th gen was at 70% Domestic content, the same and the Matrix.

That doesn't mean the car was built poorly - you might be more sensitive to these occurances. But, sometimes it does mean that you have a real lemon on your hands - that's why these forums exist. Unfortunantely, it is tough to nail down if something is a real problem or not until something happens. Both issues don't seem to be a big problem now - but I'd keep a log of when these occurances happen and conditions surrounding them. Might start seeing a trend that may lead you into the right direction in explaining what is happening there.

Topic List: Go to Everything Else