Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

215.60 or 225.60.15 on 04 Corolla?

By Guest LAMRONH, September 8, 2003

Guest LAMRONH

I'm probably going to pick up a new Corolla this month, and will be d/c ing the stock rubber. Does anyone know of any clearance problems that might be encountered with 215.60.15 or 225.60.15? Thanks for all consideration.

Guest Blanco03Rolla

The best sizes would either be a 205/55-16 or a 225/45-17. Whether the 17" wheel will cause rubbing is another issue. Are you looking to simply swap some Camry SE wheels onto your new load (even though a 03/04 Camry SE would have 215/60-16's? A 215/60-15 or an even larger diameter 225/60-15 will cause you very large speedometer error, in which your wheels would be rotating slower than the stock 195/65-15 -- your speedo would read slower than you would be actually travelling (speed-wise) --this is a good recipe for a large speeding ticket.

The sizes that I mentioned above, would not alter the overall diameter of your tire, thereby reducing or eliminating any speedometer error.

Guest Blanco03Rolla

My Corolla-S 2004 I get in two weeks, should have lesser Goodyear 195/65/15 I want to keep the 15 rims as they cost $$ and was thinking of 205/60/15 any thoughts on this size and brand or style recomendations, I live in Southern CA, not much rain, but when it does it runs off, the soil here does not absorb much and you hydro plane,

Two different Tire Rack guys recomended: stay at 195/65/15 and use

BridgeStone Turanza LS-T  $65.00 each.

Which leads me to belive either they would be the tire of choice, or Tirerack got a great deal on them and they are the push item, any thoughts???

Since the Corolla isn't a performance oriented car (or isn't marketed that way) The Tirerack is just giving you the common owner's (not performance/enthusiast's) solutions. Call back the tire rack and ask about performance oriented rubber in a 195/65-15. ****uming that a better handing tire characteristics is what you're after, I would look into a summer-only performance based tire. The Bridgestone Turanza LS-T is a nominal improvement over what your car will come with (most likely Firestone FR690's or Goodyear Infinity's). If your looking for long wearing, quiet, comfortable tire then the LS-T would be a good choice (and it's all season). If you're looking to increase the performance (based on rubber alone) I would look into a summer performance tire. Better choices would include Yokohama's AVS dB 2, Bridgestone's RE 950, Dunlop's SP Sport A2 and Kuhmo's ECSTA KH11. If you so choose a "higher" performance tire, you'll have to give up something and that'll be wear. These tires will wear faster than your stock rubber and may exhibit a slightly harsher ride (you won't notice using the stock suspension) mainly due to the generally higher speesd ratings (H or V).

In any case, I would weigh what features are most important to you and purchase the rubber that you can afford based on those characteristics.

The Tire Rack does show alternate wheel/tire combos that offer a similar total wheel diameter. Off the top of my head, I believe you can put as large as a 205.50.17. But be warned.... you will most likely have some speedo error, you will notice rought pavmentmore, althought the reduction in unsprung weight may actually improve the ride over most bumps.

THe handling will probably be crisper, but body rolls will seem more pronounced. The actual improvement in handling will mostly come from the tire compound more than the low profile tires. You will probably need a strut tower brace, lower the car, and add adjustable aftermarket struts to really see a handling improvement. You might as well buy a Celica if you're going to spend that type of cash.

On my 03 Corolla S, I went to 205-60x15 to keep the speedo correct, and not loose power. All is great, and the larger tire (wider) looks much more agressive.

DC

Topic List