Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Wheel Location Noise

by Lee614, August 26, 2008

I have an 04 corolla w/ 62k miles with aftermarket alloy rims.

I am hearing two types of noises with the window down (not terribly noticeable with windows up)

noise #1 is a scraping/ scratching noise which starts around 15MPH. Other note it can be heard even when I lightly apply the brakes, but goes away when I do standard braking. (I suspect it isn't brake noise since I can hear it when I do some braking.) I do not think it is the warning scraper on the brake pads since it goes away when I do apply standard braking. Does the corolla have front bearing that need greasing? any idea where it could be coming from? I suspect it is front end noise. Maybe I am wrong and I am ready for brakes.

Noise #2 is a wooring noise. It goes in and out like a warped tire or something. it is noticeable when I turn the car to the left (road bends to the left). when I straighten out the noise goes away. When I drive the car straight there typically no noise. If I turn to the right (meaning road bends to the right ) there is no noise. I suspect it is coming from the front passenger wheel (right wheel). Any ideas?

footnote: I don't think I have ABS. (CE Model)

I finally concluded I am in denial. I need new brakes and the sensor is scraping. I wonder if noise number 2 will go away once I change the brakes.

Side question-- Are duralast rotors and duralast ceramic pads any good (and quiet?)

I'm not a fan of Duralast replacement parts. (AutoZone, correct?) I think you're better off spending a little more on AC Delco (or Napa) rotors and ceramic pads.

Regarding noise #2, if your aftermarket wheels have less positive offset than stock (pushed out), it's possible that one or both front wheel bearings are going bad. Pushing wheels out puts a lot more stress on wheel bearings.

Topic List