Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Best Oil For My Corolla

by rjs07smodel, August 26, 2008

Hey guys,

just looking for some opinions on what brand oil would be my best bet to start using in my new 07 corolla?

I usually use Mobil clean 5000 but am open to any other suggestions.

Also, what brand oil filter?

Thanks for your input!!!!!!

Hey guys,just looking for some opinions on what brand oil would be my best bet to start using in my new 07 corolla?

I usually use Mobil clean 5000 but am open to any other suggestions.

Also, what brand oil filter?

Thanks for your input!!!!!!

Pennzoil Platinum (5w-20) with Pureone oil filter and run it for 6K miles.

The only reason to run synthetics on a Corolla is really to attempt to get the most fuel economy from less friction. Also, in case you can stop everything for a oil change when it's due.

If you care about your warranty, don't stray from the weight or the duration of oil changes that are in your owners manual. If you want to try and push the limits of your oil, don't expect Toyota to cover you if you have any problems.

I run Mobil 1 5w 30 with a Napa Gold filter in our 05.

I use one quart Mobil 1 and the balance is dino (Valvoline 5w30). My custom blend and have yet to have a problem with an engine (knock on wood)

A friend is an engineer in the automotive industry and said- just having one quart syn with standard oil gives nearly equal lubrication to being fully synthetic.

You'll see some people say that as long as you do regular oil changes, you'll be fine with non synthetic as long as you use modern oil (is it @ SM now?)

Havoline or pennzoil regular oil for me, both are really good dino oils. The cost of syn oil doesnt equal out unless you drive a lot more miles between oil changes than on dino oil, and dino oil is really good nowadays depending on the brand. I use the $6 wix filters which I like a lot better than stock oem filters from toyota ect, btw napa gold filters are identical to wix.

I use Wix oil filters. Avoid Fram like the plague. AC Delco and Napa Gold are equally good as Wix.

I used to use Mobil 1 5W-30 until I noticed a few years ago that it suddenly wasn't holding up as well in my four vehicles and smelled exactly like dino oil when I drained it. After some research, I found that Mobil changed the formula over to cracked dino oil. My money moved elsewhere.

Since then, it's been Redline 5W-30 and Amsoil 0W-30, both high-quality true synthetics. Neither cheap by any means, but both do a great job.

Havoline or pennzoil regular oil... both are really good dino oils.
Agreed. For a budget oil change, those are my top two choices.

Valvoline SuperSyn and Penzoil Platinum both are good oils....worked well for me for about 10-12K KM with an over sized filter. Grade 0W-20, 5W-20 and 5W-30!

In my sienna I am using penzoil synthetic and it has been a year plus one month. last time it was coastal synthetic.Less than 1/4 quart burned. I do change filters every 6 months and top off . no fram . usually some version of either purolator or champion labs ( supertech,stp,bosch,proline, and more). last time i went 2 years but the van is not driven more than 10000 a year.

The kids corolla gets supertech 5w30 and a champion labs filter. My car is running a mix of 5w-20 and 10w40 high mileage because i got a case of 10w40 for .32 a quart. It is burning much less oil this way.

If i had a newer car I would run almost any good oil . they are all good. consumers reports proved that a long time ago. barely any difference between brands. check bobtheoilguy.com . I would run a better quality filter like champ labs, wix or purolator. skip mobil1 or amsoil filters . too expensive.

I think synthetic is really the ticket for a new car,but you have to be able to go much longer between changes to be cost effective.It does add about 1 mpg . My parents 06 sts caddy specs mobil1. that is good enough recommendation for me. Synthetic is good for 25000 miles under decent running circumstances. that means about $25 for a change that should last a year versus $13 for 3 months.

I am too lazy to change my own oil.

And since I average 3000+ miles every month, I pay someone to do it.

Dino oil from the oil change place.

Just change it regularly.

tdk

I use only Mobil 1 5W30, and genuine Toyota oil filters. I try to change every 3 - 4,000 miles; it varies due to my schedule, which is mainly why I use the Mobil 1. However, I've not let it go over 4,000; the average change is somewhere in the 3500 mile range. I don't go by time, just mileage. I do my own changes and other minor maintenance like transmission fluid drain/replace and wheel rotation at the Dover AFB Auto Hobby Shop. Shop bay rental is only $3.00/hr., plus tools, and my maintenance gets to be performed by a college graduate instead of some careless grease monkey who's looking for ways to break something so I can pay him to fix it.

Topic List