Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By ponche, August 23, 2008

I'm new to the forum and I'm wondering how everybody gets such great gas mileage! I bought a 04 corolla ce with 48,000 miles a few months back and the best I've ever been able to achieve is almost 32mpg. Not that that is bad, but it's certainly not 36-40! The filters are new, the tires have the correct pressure, I only drive 60-65 mph, most of my driving is highway driving with few stops signs or lights between home and work which is 26 miles each way. A disclamer; I'm in Germany and the gas stations don't sell a low octane like 87; I think the lowest is 90?!? So the gas shouldn't be a problem either. Any tips from you gas misers out there?

Thanks

Are you driving a US spec car in Germany? Most lower mileage is going to come from quick starts and stops. Weather, gas and things can make a difference.

The people who get the high fuel economy generally have a 5sp and are not in a hurry at all. Low RPM shifts, feather light gas pedal, etc. It takes some work and even some concentration.

they do have low octane in germany, in europe and asia octane is rated differently than in the US. so their 90 is pretty much our 86 or 87.

Bikeman982

And they drive downhill, both directions, with a strong tailwind.

Have you increased your total wheel diameter beyond the stock measurement?

That would throw off your odometer and make it read lower mileage per tank.

Are you driving a US spec car in Germany? Most lower mileage is going to come from quick starts and stops. Weather, gas and things can make a difference.

The people who get the high fuel economy generally have a 5sp and are not in a hurry at all. Low RPM shifts, feather light gas pedal, etc. It takes some work and even some concentration.

Yes, it's a US spec car; I'm with the military. I'll give your recommendations a try. Oh and mine is an automatic.

Thanks

Have you increased your total wheel diameter beyond the stock measurement?That would throw off your odometer and make it read lower mileage per tank.

Nope, stock wheels and tires.

you should easily get 36-40 with that much highway. inflate your tires to at least 40 psi each, try at least some of the basic hypermiling techniques i.e. dwb (driving without brakes) or accelerating slowly, turning car off at long lights etc. I get 37-38 mpg in a 1993 1.8L corolla with similar driving conditions as you so you should get better mpg

you should easily get 36-40 with that much highway. inflate your tires to at least 40 psi each, try at least some of the basic hypermiling techniques i.e. dwb (driving without brakes) or accelerating slowly, turning car off at long lights etc. I get 37-38 mpg in a 1993 1.8L corolla with similar driving conditions as you so you should get better mpg

40psi is not needed. I've done it with 34psi.

I agree with some of the hypermillers techniques except over inflated tires and pulse and glide. While 40psi isn't over inflated, some of the post of read on other forums are just down right scary. Pulse and glide might work down hill while drafting a large truck, but that is the only way. People who claim greater fuel economy by pulse in gliding on flat roads are full of crap. If it actually worked, it would be free energy, but that doesn't exist. I've also seen many shows where people try to duplicate such claims and they don't get any better fuel economy.

Things that actually work:

Try and cost up to red lights so you don't have to start from a stop when it turns green. It takes a lot of energy to get a car up to speed from a stop, starting from 10mph instead of 0 is something. This is probably the hardest thing to do. You pretty much have to know the road and the lights, but once figured out, you should really minimize your complete stopped takeoffs.

Drafting trucks on the HWY works. Just don't tailgate or do stupid things. Drafting 50' back helps out.

Shutting off the engine helps, but you have to know how much fuel your car takes to start for it to be really effective. I only turn mine off at rail road tracks, known long red lights. People who do it all the time have not likely paid to have a starter replaced. Not sure on a Corolla, but on another car of mine, changing it would involve removing the intake manifold.

Aside from driving skills that work, and trying to avoid the snake oil that does nothing but wear your starting and tires out faster, just driving a slower top speed helps.

Driving 55MPH got me 43MPG once, and I was stuck in Chicago rush our traffic trying to leave town to get to the HWY. I wish I had a scan gage to know what it can really get at 55MPH.

Sammy Hagar said it best tho. I can't drive 55.

Guest wildthing

I have a '94 Corolla Special with the 1.6l engine and automatic transmission. Just bought it and it is barely broken in at 134,000 km (83,000 miles). I've only put 4 tanks of gas into the car and usually my wife drives it in a mixture of highway and local driving. She drives sensibly and keeps to 50-55mph for the most part. I'm a little more lead-footed, mostly with the take-offs, but I try and syncronize lights to avoid stops and keep my foot once I'm up to cruising speed.

The first tank came in at 8.1l/100km which seemed a little high. Then I calculated the mileage since we bought it just for fun. That comes out at 7.0l/100km which is reasonably respectable for an automatic coupled with the 1.6l. I still feel I could do better as the car's idle seems fast. Since it is fuell-injected, I don't know how to set the idle, but it could be running just a little rich due to an air filter being dirty or the 02 sensor could be lightly toasted. I'm tempted to throw in the Techron fuel injector cleaner to see if that helps. Trial and error mechanics works at most garages I visit!

Bikeman982

It could be that some people are exaggerating (a little).

Basically, you will get what you get depending on the efficiency of your car (tuned up) and your driving habits, as well as road/environmental conditions.

Ideally, slow steady speeds with a good running engine and tire pressure/low bearing resistance, downhill with a good tailwind or drafting will yield the best results.

Hope this helps.

Try and cost up to red lights so you don't have to start from a stop when it turns green. It takes a lot of energy to get a car up to speed from a stop, starting from 10mph instead of 0 is something. This is probably the hardest thing to do. You pretty much have to know the road and the lights, but once figured out, you should really minimize your complete stopped takeoffs.

Drafting trucks on the HWY works. Just don't tailgate or do stupid things. Drafting 50' back helps out.

Shutting off the engine helps, but you have to know how much fuel your car takes to start for it to be really effective. I only turn mine off at rail road tracks, known long red lights. People who do it all the time have not likely paid to have a starter replaced. Not sure on a Corolla, but on another car of mine, changing it would involve removing the intake manifold.

Aside from driving skills that work, and trying to avoid the snake oil that does nothing but wear your starting and tires out faster, just driving a slower top speed helps.

Driving 55MPH got me 43MPG once, and I was stuck in Chicago rush our traffic trying to leave town to get to the HWY. I wish I had a scan gage to know what it can really get at 55MPH.

Your "Things that actually work" are good points which I've been doing for quite some time.

I would also like to add skipping the drive-thru at a fast-food place or at a bank. Sitting and waiting in long lines is a total waste of fuel so whenever I go to these places I park my car, shut off the engine, and go inside to order up or make a transaction. It's better to waste human time rather than burn off unnecessary fuel.

Slowing down, or driving the speed limits, and not tailgating is one thing that helps.

I laugh at those, especially SUV, pickup, and van owners, who speed by me doing 80+ MPH on the highways. They're the ones who bitch and complain that they get 0 MPG and have to pay $$$ to fill up. Well, DUH!! Maybe if they'd slow down they'll see their MPG improve get their money's worth on a tank full.

IMO, the reason why you get traffic jams is because people follow too closely or tailgate the car in front of them. If people would leave a few car lengths in front of them, it would lead to less stopping and going and keep traffic moving.

I've done this many times while stuck in rush hour or construction zones, where everyone is merging in to one lane, and it works. Even though I'm moving or idling slowly, I'm keeping the traffic flow moving while the traffic in front stops and goes. Of course, people are going to pull in the open space in front, but as long as I keep my distance the traffic will keep flowing.

Bikeman982

Your "Things that actually work" are good points which I've been doing for quite some time.

I would also like to add skipping the drive-thru at a fast-food place or at a bank. Sitting and waiting in long lines is a total waste of fuel so whenever I go to these places I park my car, shut off the engine, and go inside to order up or make a transaction. It's better to waste human time rather than burn off unnecessary fuel.

Slowing down, or driving the speed limits, and not tailgating is one thing that helps.

I laugh at those, especially SUV, pickup, and van owners, who speed by me doing 80+ MPH on the highways. They're the ones who bitch and complain that they get 0 MPG and have to pay $$$ to fill up. Well, DUH!! Maybe if they'd slow down they'll see their MPG improve get their money's worth on a tank full.

IMO, the reason why you get traffic jams is because people follow too closely or tailgate the car in front of them. If people would leave a few car lengths in front of them, it would lead to less stopping and going and keep traffic moving.

I've done this many times while stuck in rush hour or construction zones, where everyone is merging in to one lane, and it works. Even though I'm moving or idling slowly, I'm keeping the traffic flow moving while the traffic in front stops and goes. Of course, people are going to pull in the open space in front, but as long as I keep my distance the traffic will keep flowing.

Human time depends on how much you are worth - some busy people would rather wait and burn gas, then walk.

It is true that you get "zero" miles per gallon when idling (such as at a bank or fast food drive-thru).

SUV's are purchased for their size and owners should not squak when they get bad gas mileage - especially when they don't conserve by slowing down.

It is better to move slow, than to start and stop every few feet. Great job.

I also hate the undulating traffic james (for no good reason), when people could all be driving along nicely.

I get between 26-30, but it's also been below 20 for a good while, and I'm driving mostly highway and through towns with plenty of lights. Plus, LE; V-6. I'm ok with it, simply because there isn't a whole lot I can do that I haven't already to try and up my mileage.

I did find out when I got my oil changed that my mechanic will fill tires with nitrogen. default_blink Apparently the air pressure never changes, even in weather, and they lose nitrogen very very slowly compared with air. That would help with mileage in cold weather for sure.

Topic List