Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Windshield Wipers

By Craig99, August 21, 2008

Evening, fellow Corolla-land members..

Has anyone had issues with the wipers on a 2007 toyota corolla LE chattering across the windshield even when the glass is clean? I first thought it was the wiper inserts, so i replaced them, but it didn't help. If I depress the windshield washer fluid and let the wipers wipe that way, it is very smooth and glides across with no problem; however, once the washer fluid goes away, and it is raining regularly, the wipers go back to their normal chattering..I have tried using rubbing alcohol, simple green, but to no avail. I saw a listing for the following.. http://www.5starshine.com/info-windshield-...-treatment.html. I thought about ordering these, but still maybe I need to replace the whole blade, not just the inserts. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Craig, Austin TX

• 1,424 posts
Evening, fellow Corolla-land members..Has anyone had issues with the wipers on a 2007 toyota corolla LE chattering across the windshield even when the glass is clean? I first thought it was the wiper inserts, so i replaced them, but it didn't help. If I depress the windshield washer fluid and let the wipers wipe that way, it is very smooth and glides across with no problem; however, once the washer fluid goes away, and it is raining regularly, the wipers go back to their normal chattering..I have tried using rubbing alcohol, simple green, but to no avail. I saw a listing for the following.. http://www.5starshine.com/info-windshield-...-treatment.html. I thought about ordering these, but still maybe I need to replace the whole blade, not just the inserts. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Craig, Austin TX

OEM wipers are not the best quality. Remember that things like wiper blades are only warrantied for 12 months after the in service date. Auto makers think differently than you do when it comes to your car. They say, "Why spend a lot of money on something so it will last a long time when most any cheap blade will get you at least a year of service?" You want something that lasts a long time and is still a good value.

Chattering wiper blades almost always chatter because the tensioning bars on the wiper are loose and therefore no longer capable of holding the wiper blade to the windshield well. There is no way to tighten them, so when they start to do this, they need replacement. A good wiper blade is that BOSCH blade that has no tensioning bars but rather a continuous tensioning spine. I put them on my Solara 3 days after I bought it and they still work incredibly. My blades are the ICON models, but evolution model is the same just with a slightly different bracket. Either will work for your Corolla.

Bikeman982

I have heard wipers chatter when the windshield does not have enough water to make it glide.

Probably common and should not affect operation.

Craig,

www.silblade.com

They will be the last wipers you will buy and SilBlade guarantees them for 5 years.

I have had a pair on my jeep for about 3 years and they have no cracks and do not chatter during full rain (every other pair I have had on this vehicle has always chattered). They are not made of rubber like most other blades. Last year I put a set of these on my wife's 'Rolla and they still work flawlessly.

You guys must be getting a ton of rain like we have here.....it has rained every day this week!

Jeremy

When that happens to me Ive found that waxing my windshield helps since it makes the surface slippery and with zaino z2 wax it lasts a good while before needing to apply more, say a month or so.

Bikeman982

Craig,

www.silblade.com

They will be the last wipers you will buy and SilBlade guarantees them for 5 years.

I have had a pair on my jeep for about 3 years and they have no cracks and do not chatter during full rain (every other pair I have had on this vehicle has always chattered). They are not made of rubber like most other blades. Last year I put a set of these on my wife's 'Rolla and they still work flawlessly.

You guys must be getting a ton of rain like we have here.....it has rained every day this week!

Jeremy

What are they made of??

What are they made of??
Silicone, graphite and PTFE (brand name = Teflon).

Without wax mine just chatter during a drizzle but when there's enough rain on the windshield to lubricate it there's no noise.

Evening, fellow Corolla-land members..Has anyone had issues with the wipers on a 2007 toyota corolla LE chattering across the windshield even when the glass is clean? I first thought it was the wiper inserts, so i replaced them, but it didn't help. If I depress the windshield washer fluid and let the wipers wipe that way, it is very smooth and glides across with no problem; however, once the washer fluid goes away, and it is raining regularly, the wipers go back to their normal chattering..I have tried using rubbing alcohol, simple green, but to no avail. I saw a listing for the following.. http://www.5starshine.com/info-windshield-...-treatment.html. I thought about ordering these, but still maybe I need to replace the whole blade, not just the inserts. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Craig, Austin TX

OEM wipers are not the best quality. Remember that things like wiper blades are only warrantied for 12 months after the in service date. Auto makers think differently than you do when it comes to your car. They say, "Why spend a lot of money on something so it will last a long time when most any cheap blade will get you at least a year of service?" You want something that lasts a long time and is still a good value.

Chattering wiper blades almost always chatter because the tensioning bars on the wiper are loose and therefore no longer capable of holding the wiper blade to the windshield well. There is no way to tighten them, so when they start to do this, they need replacement. A good wiper blade is that BOSCH blade that has no tensioning bars but rather a continuous tensioning spine. I put them on my Solara 3 days after I bought it and they still work incredibly. My blades are the ICON models, but evolution model is the same just with a slightly different bracket. Either will work for your Corolla.

Thanks for the info about the different aftermarket wipers. I had the dealer test it out and they said the tensioning was fine with both wipers and tested using water in their shop and they couldn't repeat what i saw, anyway, I still think it's the windshield itself 'cause the wipers do not chatter when i depress the windshield washer, so that tells me that the windshield itself has something on it that is embedded deep inside that it's almost impossible to get out. I saw the comment about using methylated spirits on it or even 0000 steel wool but haven't..even the GOO GONE some say may work. I tried that but to no avail. Thanks again for everyone's feedback. I'm sure I will find a solution soon.

Bikeman982

Do you park it under a tree?

Maybe it has tree sap on it?

Do you park it under a tree?Maybe it has tree sap on it?

Yes, I work downtown Austin and do park under trees. It did get tree sap on it and i think that may be it, so I guess I am trying to get that off. I heard that a claybar or BonAmi product may help? Some say spraying the hinges with WD40 may help but it's an '07, it shouldn't need that..still searching..

Bikeman982

Do you park it under a tree?Maybe it has tree sap on it?

Yes, I work downtown Austin and do park under trees. It did get tree sap on it and i think that may be it, so I guess I am trying to get that off. I heard that a claybar or BonAmi product may help? Some say spraying the hinges with WD40 may help but it's an '07, it shouldn't need that..still searching..

I think if you can get the windshield perfectly clean of all tree residue, then the wipers will stop chattering.

What hinges would you spray with WD-40?? Would that be on the wiper arms??

• 1,424 posts
Thanks for the info about the different aftermarket wipers. I had the dealer test it out and they said the tensioning was fine with both wipers and tested using water in their shop and they couldn't repeat what i saw.

You're welcome for the info, but I think that you're getting screwed by your dealer. It sounds to me like you got the "I don't want to work on it, so I'll just say I can't replicate the problem".

Firstly there is no tensioning test for wipers, and since your wiper blade frames are more than a year old, I'd say they are shot. The wipers started chattering at 6 months of age on my '05 and when I changed them to BOSCH blades, the chattering was gone.

If you trust your dealer, then continue to look for something else as the problem, but let me tell you something about dealers: They are out to make money, not out to keep you satisfied. When you bring your car in for a trivial problem and they can't immediately find the cause and fix it, they stop trying. You have to realize that on warranty claims they can only bill Toyota for so many hours for a certain problem. Toyota has a book that says if the car has chattering wipers, you will get paid for a half hour's work or whatever. If they can't fix it in that amount of time, they have to eat the cost of the extra hours because Toyota doesn't allow them to bill you for a warranty repair. It is a losing proposition for them and that is why problems like yours often go unsolved.

This isn't just true of Toyota dealers, but Ford, GM, Chrysler and Honda dealers as well. My aunt owns a 2005 Accord that makes a terrible rattling sound at 70 mph. It comes from the drivers side front corner of the car near where the A pillar meets the fender. It also rattles at lower speeds when there is a crosswind. She has taken it to the dealer twice and they can't replicate the problem even though it happens every time you drive the car on the freeway. She had me look at it last week and within 5 minutes, I found a loose piece of trim on the windshield. Sure enough, When I taped the trim down and took the car on the freeway, the noise stopped. She took it back to them, told them what was wrong with it and as soon as they re-glued the trim, the noise stopped. Had I not found the problem, she would still be living with a rattle.

If your dealer can't replicate the problem again, I'd just buy new wipers, clean the windshield thoroughly and see what happens.

Bikeman982

Dealers do not want to do the warranty work.

They make their money on new car sales and also on labor and parts for repairs.

The best way to fix problems is to learn to do it yourself (DIY).

It will give you confidence and help to reduce dependency on dealer support.

It might also save you some money (not always).

Thanks for the info about the different aftermarket wipers. I had the dealer test it out and they said the tensioning was fine with both wipers and tested using water in their shop and they couldn't repeat what i saw.

You're welcome for the info, but I think that you're getting screwed by your dealer. It sounds to me like you got the "I don't want to work on it, so I'll just say I can't replicate the problem".

Firstly there is no tensioning test for wipers, and since your wiper blade frames are more than a year old, I'd say they are shot. The wipers started chattering at 6 months of age on my '05 and when I changed them to BOSCH blades, the chattering was gone.

If you trust your dealer, then continue to look for something else as the problem, but let me tell you something about dealers: They are out to make money, not out to keep you satisfied. When you bring your car in for a trivial problem and they can't immediately find the cause and fix it, they stop trying. You have to realize that on warranty claims they can only bill Toyota for so many hours for a certain problem. Toyota has a book that says if the car has chattering wipers, you will get paid for a half hour's work or whatever. If they can't fix it in that amount of time, they have to eat the cost of the extra hours because Toyota doesn't allow them to bill you for a warranty repair. It is a losing proposition for them and that is why problems like yours often go unsolved.

This isn't just true of Toyota dealers, but Ford, GM, Chrysler and Honda dealers as well. My aunt owns a 2005 Accord that makes a terrible rattling sound at 70 mph. It comes from the drivers side front corner of the car near where the A pillar meets the fender. It also rattles at lower speeds when there is a crosswind. She has taken it to the dealer twice and they can't replicate the problem even though it happens every time you drive the car on the freeway. She had me look at it last week and within 5 minutes, I found a loose piece of trim on the windshield. Sure enough, When I taped the trim down and took the car on the freeway, the noise stopped. She took it back to them, told them what was wrong with it and as soon as they re-glued the trim, the noise stopped. Had I not found the problem, she would still be living with a rattle.

If your dealer can't replicate the problem again, I'd just buy new wipers, clean the windshield thoroughly and see what happens.

Great, advice, I may just go ahead and replace the blades, but definitely clean the windshield thoroughly. I have got this film that seems to really stand out in the sunlight, looks like hard water permanent stain or tree sap, but I will clean that first. Funny that you mention the wind rattle/noise because I also have a noise that comes about only when there is heavy wind/crosswinds, but haven't been able to find it yet. I'm still searching for that; otherwise, my car has about 45,500 miles and running good.

I saw an article from consumer reports and I believe still one of the compliants from all consumers is wind noise/rattles.

Bikeman982

Nobody likes noise when they are driving.

It makes it hard to hear the music!

GOOD NEWS!!! I just replaced the blades with BOSCH IKON blades for '07 LE. Problem solved! No more chattering..thanks everyone for the reponses. These blades wipe extremely well and look pretty good as well.

• 1,424 posts
GOOD NEWS!!! I just replaced the blades with BOSCH IKON blades for '07 LE. Problem solved! No more chattering..thanks everyone for the reponses. These blades wipe extremely well and look pretty good as well.

I'm glad that the BOSCH wiper blades fixed your issue. I was not trying to be a PITA or anything when I was telling you to replace your blades, I was just trying to keep you from wasting time with the dealer. IMHO, most dealers are essentially useless. If I could test drive a car at a local test drive station and buy a car over the internet and have it delivered to my home like they can in the UK I would do it in a heartbeat.

There are 4 problems I have with every dealer I've ever been to:

1) Salespeople are pushy, and they don't listen to what you want or need, they are just interested in selling you what will make them the most commission based on what you are willing to buy.

2) Salespeople NEVER know as much about the cars as I do. When I go into a dealer the first thing I ask for is a test drive. When they try to tell me about the car first, I stop them and tell them what they are about to say and then give them specs for the car that they have to go look up to check. Then they still act like they know more than I do, which they don't. Their crap wastes my time and there lack of knowledge is not impressive.

3) Service after the sale is lacking. I've bought cars with serious problems that were covered by a TSB. For a FORD I owned, I took all the time to do research, track down the problem, get a TSB number from the manufacturer and explain what was wrong to the service writer. When they couldn't find what was wrong I printed a copy of the TSB and handed it to them, at which time they informed me that the TSB didn't apply to my car even though it stated on the first page that the VIN of my car was eligible under the TSB. I finally had to take the car to another dealer who happened to have a trainer from FORD in who could fix my problem.

4) Even when dealers fix problems they often don't do what I expect. I.E., when you do something that disconnects the battery, you should write down all the radio station presets so you can reset them and you should reset the clock before you return the car to the customer.

While internet car shopping doesn't eliminate 3 and 4 it does eliminate 1 and 2. Lately I've taken to not even visiting the dealer to buy a car except for a test drive and to pick it up. What I do is call the sales manager at my Toyota dealer and arrange a test drive through him. I go and drive the car, then I tell him what I want and ask him to give me a call with my options when he finds something close. I chose from the options he gives me and then I go in and sign the papers.

That way I never have to deal with a salesperson and since the sales manager doesn't get paid on commission he isn't pushy and since he knows that I know the cars better than he does he doesn't try to tell me anything. Another good thing about the sales manager is that I basically tell him what I'm willing to pay after I get an initial quote and he usually just agrees to it. Again he doesn't have to worry about making money on the deal for himself, all he has to worry about is making money for the dealer, so it is in his interest to sell me the car for a reasonable price in 5 minutes instead of dickering with me for days over $500.

So far I've got lucky with my Solara and it has only needed one repair, and that was handled by a bodyshop that Toyota has do all its work. With my Corolla I never talked to the service writer when it came to repairs, I took the car to the service manager and explained what I wanted done in great detail. To date they haven't screwed up too badly but even though I tell them write down my presets and reset them when they are done, they still forget, or sometimes I find greasy fingerprints on the glass, etc. If all you do is go in and tell the service writer, "the car makes a noise" you won't get good service from most any dealer.

Bikeman982

I hate dealers, too.

I went to a Ford dealership with the intention of buying a new minivan.

The saleman refused to negotiate (barter) and I ended up walking away, while he was still talking.

I have received numerous invitations to go back, but never did.

I bought a new minivan from a dealer that was further away.

They had much better service and salespeople.

The first dealership has since gone out of business.

Max

Often that chatter happens with windshield wipers that don't get much use. The blade bends as it sits against the glass.

Topic List: Go to Everything Else