Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

1995 1.6l Problems Keeping Running

by wlink1, August 12, 2008 in Pre-1997 Toyota Corolla and Geo Prizm

I have recently purchased a 1995 1.6L and it had a bad throttle position sensor, so I replaced the sensor, then I got map sensor code so I replaced it today and disconnected the battery for approx 20mins. started it back up and car still runs like crap. If you try to take off fast it just dies and then is hard to start, rough idle??

I have recently purchased a 1995 1.6L and it had a bad throttle position sensor, so I replaced the sensor, then I got map sensor code so I replaced it today and disconnected the battery for approx 20mins. started it back up and car still runs like crap. If you try to take off fast it just dies and then is hard to start, rough idle??

If you recently got this car with no maintenance history, I recommand you do a tuneup for your car. Maybe your throttle body or air filter is dirty? Replace or repair the easiest and cheapest items first would be the first thing I do.

Bikeman982

Definitely a good tune-up will help.

Try changing the spark plugs and also checking the compression.

changed plugs, wires, cap, rotor button. It will now idle in park or neutral but when you shift into gear it starts shaking and wants to die but when and if you can get it going it does fine except for on hills and if you have to stop. also stil has problem if you try and gas it just dies, you have to realy ease into the throttle

sort of sounds like low fuel pressure problem. its not easy to get a fuel pressure gauge onto these cars, infact to get one on....you're 1/2 way done with changing the fuel filter. speaking of, you should change that also.

you may end up needing a fuel pump, not a hard one to change thankfully.

yeah was going to change the fuel filter and possibly check/clean the IAC and then if all else replace fuel pump

Bikeman982

yeah was going to change the fuel filter and possibly check/clean the IAC and then if all else replace fuel pump
Fuel pump is located under the rear seat and fairly easy to change.

bad distributor was the problem

Bikeman982

bad distributor was the problem
Was it the cap?? Or the rotor inside??

Topic List: Go to Pre-1997 Toyota Corolla and Geo Prizm