Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By datsa, August 11, 2008

Well, thanks to all for the advice on fixing the rear brakes. 1stToyotaParts was also a big help.

The only item on my list that I haven't fixed was the rear shocks. I was going to order some OEM shocks, but then thought about what newer technology shocks might do for my car. I use my car for ferrying around both people and things, and I'd like to make the ride smoother for rear seat passengers. Most of the roads where I live are quite potholed, criss-crossed by railroad tracks, and dips. The highways take heavy big rid traffic and are wavy and undulating (up and down), so that riding them is like riding a series of small ocean waves. If I drive too fast on these roads, my car can nose-dive ocassionally (what does this mean? front struts are wearing? it passed the bounce test, perhaps springs?)

Does anyone know where I can find specs on the stiffness vs. comfort, or just your opinion of the ride, of these shocks:

KYB GR-2

Monroe Sensa-trac

Monroe-matic

NAPA Response

The NAPA website has specs on their own and the Monroes, but I am having hard time finding specs on the KYB's.

Specifically, how does compressed length, travel length affect ride?

How do the gas pressures compare? I know that in general, that these are all low pressure shocks.

I have not found any high pressure shocks that specifically fit this vehicle, but I may be able to use another one that has a cross-reference. I emailed that supplier already with these questions.

I can't speak for the Napa shocks. Aside from that, I would choose the GR-2s. They are the only affordable shocks I've seen that are tubular, and not seam welded rounded flat metal.

I can't speak for the Napa shocks. Aside from that, I would choose the GR-2s. They are the only affordable shocks I've seen that are tubular, and not seam welded rounded flat metal.
I went to the local NAPA store with what I found online at NapaOnline. It appears that the NAPAs are rebadged, competitively-priced Monroe shocks. But taking your advice and the results of a bit of research on this site, I went with the KYB GR-2's in the rear. If they work out on the rear, I'll get GR-2-based struts for the front.

Were you able to find any reviews for the struts? Maybe tirerack or amazon would sell them and have user reviews. I guess you could try a google search for "NAPA Response review" ect and see what comes up.

Were you able to find any reviews for the struts? Maybe tirerack or amazon would sell them and have user reviews. I guess you could try a google search for "NAPA Response review" ect and see what comes up.
I went to various sites, TireRack, DiscountPerformanceAutoParts.com, PerformanceCenter.com, and ReplacementShocks.com among others. Some of these sites had very simple review feedback, and I found only three reviews for a late 1990's, early 00's Corollas LE on the GR-2's on TireRack (correct me if you find them), but more for Honda, Mercury, Acura, Chrysler, etc. reviews. In addition, I read almost all the reviews for the Gas-a-Just and Monomax shocks on TireRack and on other non-Corolla forums (like JeepForum.com) -- enough that I felt that it was okay to take a gamble on trying out GR-2's. I thought about getting the Gas-a-just shocks, but their price was more than my budget at this time.

My shocks haven't arrived yet, so I can't tell you about them. I'll let you know how they work out. If not, I'll get either the Monroe Sensa-trac or the OEM shocks -- 1stToyotaParts has the best price on OEM shocks.

Incase you havent tried them yet check out http://www.rockauto.com because they usually beat 1sttoyota in prices.

I just installed GR-2s on all 4 wheels and they it seems are great. More sportier and seems to be more stable then what I had before. Mind you, my previous shocks were completely dead, as they did not expand once compressed. It is crazy to think I was practically only riding on the spring as 3 out of 4 shocks were useless.

Incase you havent tried them yet check out http://www.rockauto.com because they usually beat 1sttoyota in prices.

Do you have a lot less body roll now during hard turns or is the difference small?

Yes, I have a lot less body roll in turns. I can take turns faster with more control. I also feel like my brakes and overall stability has improved.

One thing is that my car has no sway/stabalizer bar. Overall I am very satisfied. I paid extra for good shocks and I learned to instal them myslef on through this form and by googling. Well worth it.

Do you have a lot less body roll now during hard turns or is the difference small?

I'll have to get the GR2's then once my struts take a crap. I dont like this sloppy suspension.

One thing is that my car has no sway/stabalizer bar.
I wonder if a strut bar, in addition to a sway bar, would make handling better.

I went to the junkyard the other day (looking for a jack part for my other car VW, which is kaput) and saw two Corolla GTSs with strut bars; I measured their lengths but they seemed too long to fit my Corolla. In retrospect, I should have snagged one, and then cut it down the middle and then weld it to make it fit. I know I could get an aftermarket strut bar, but the thought of having an OEM one seemed to good to pass up at the time. Needless to say, I did not buy the strut bar. They're probably gone now.

Strut bar will sharpen steering, especially with wider wheels, but otherwise - does not help handling that much.

I would passed on the GTS bars - welding them to fit doesn't make too much sense (weakens the metal, too much hassle for return in performance). Though, you could have probably resold them online for a slight profit and used that money to get a new strut bar.

Topic List