Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Corolla As Rental - Now I Want One

By Wheels, August 10, 2008

Hello all, new guy here.

Just want to tell you all how much I like Corollas now. I had never paid much attention to these cars before. They just seemed like inexpensive transportation. Then I had one as a rental last week while my '07 Scion tc was in the body shop. (Please don't assume, as I would, that because I have a tc that I'm in my 20s. I'm not. I've been driving for 40 years.) Anyway, I loved this Corolla. It was an '09 base model with the 1.8 motor. So it has less motor than my Scion (2.4 litre) but I liked it more. The seats were more comfortable and there was more head room. It gets better mileage than a Scion. I also loved the electric power steering.

I wish I had checked out the Corolla last year when I got the Scion. I guess I was trying to hold on to my fading youth by getting a more sporty car. But I'm ready for the Corolla. Too bad that it's too soon to switch. I would loose too much in depreciation on the Scion.

So I know what my next car will be, I just have to wait another year or two to get it.

Hello all, new guy here.

Just want to tell you all how much I like Corollas now. I had never paid much attention to these cars before. They just seemed like inexpensive transportation. Then I had one as a rental last week while my '07 Scion tc was in the body shop. (Please don't assume, as I would, that because I have a tc that I'm in my 20s. I'm not. I've been driving for 40 years.) Anyway, I loved this Corolla. It was an '09 base model with the 1.8 motor. So it has less motor than my Scion (2.4 litre) but I liked it more. The seats were more comfortable and there was more head room. It gets better mileage than a Scion. I also loved the electric power steering.

I wish I had checked out the Corolla last year when I got the Scion. I guess I was trying to hold on to my fading youth by getting a more sporty car. But I'm ready for the Corolla. Too bad that it's too soon to switch. I would loose too much in depreciation on the Scion.

So I know what my next car will be, I just have to wait another year or two to get it.

Nice man. What rental car place did you use to get the Corolla? I have to get a rental on the 25th -29th and I would like to test out one of the new Corollas too.

I rented from Enterprise. I'm in Maryland. Don't know if they do business in your state.

It was a smooth transaction paid for by the 'other' insurance company.

Bikeman982

Hello all, new guy here.

Must be nice to afford a new car every year or two!

Glad you like the Corolla - I was thinking of getting a Scion!

I have only been driving since 1969.

I haven't driven a new Corolla - if I did I would get spoiled and have to get one.

I'm sure you would like the new Corolla. I'm interested in higher gas mileage without actually going the hybred route.

The Corolla is slower than my Scion but I liked it more. It just felt right.

Bikeman982

I'm sure you would like the new Corolla. I'm interested in higher gas mileage without actually going the hybred route.The Corolla is slower than my Scion but I liked it more. It just felt right.
I am sure I would like the new Corolla, too.

I don't think the cost of a hybrid is low enough yet to offset the better gas mileage.

Maybe after there are more used ones available I will get one.

I think many Enterprise outfits are franchisees, and these can buy whatever they want to. So the models will differ from location to location.

I haven't yet driven a 2009 Corolla myself. Sounds much nicer than the related Matrix, which I drove (with the 2.4) and found quite disappointing.

Of course, impressions will vary. Best thing before buying a car is drive EVERYTHING you might buy.

Avis also gave me a choice of a Corolla or a Malibu.

Took the Malibu b/c it was a bigger car, but it overheated on my way up a hill!!

Should have taken the Corolla...

tdk.

Bikeman982

Avis also gave me a choice of a Corolla or a Malibu. Took the Malibu b/c it was a bigger car, but it overheated on my way up a hill!!

tdk.

Next time go with the Corolla!

Avis also gave me a choice of a Corolla or a Malibu. Took the Malibu b/c it was a bigger car, but it overheated on my way up a hill!!

tdk.

I bought an 08 new in 12/07 to avoid the first year of a new model like my 03 CE.

Really didn't like some of the changes like the removal of the rub strips on the doors. Met a new 09 LE owner yesterday. Her new Corolla got a door ding in its first week just where the rub strip used to be.

Also felt the HVAC controls were too gadgety like my son's 08 Scion XB.

Glad to have picked the 08.

Bikeman982

tdk.

I bought an 08 new in 12/07 to avoid the first year of a new model like my 03 CE.

Really didn't like some of the changes like the removal of the rub strips on the doors. Met a new 09 LE owner yesterday. Her new Corolla got a door ding in its first week just where the rub strip used to be.

Also felt the HVAC controls were too gadgety like my son's 08 Scion XB.

Glad to have picked the 08.

I have added rubber strips to a couple of my cars that did not have them.

They sure help in parking lots.

It is a smart move to not buy the first of a new model (gives them a chance to motify bad parts before the next year model).

Let someone else be the guinea pig to test it out in actual use.

I had a 98 Corolla that I was the 3rd ower. Needless to say it was getting pretty tired and i didnt want to throw the type of money it needed to make it right again, and it was an automatic and i really wanted a stick. I had to order my 07 to get the stick, but the toyota dealer let me have a demo until it came in. Took about 4 days. When i was in shopping mode i drove the scion tc. It was a nice car but for the added price, and i needed alittle bit more room i went with the corolla. The car is sweet, needless to say i have loads of fun in my little "work" car. Oh yeah, i get 40 mpg. LOL Just wait till you are not upside down and trade that tc in on an brand new corolla. You will not regret it.

Happy motoring default_smile

Bikeman982

I had a 98 Corolla that I was the 3rd ower. Needless to say it was getting pretty tired and i didnt want to throw the type of money it needed to make it right again, and it was an automatic and i really wanted a stick. I had to order my 07 to get the stick, but the toyota dealer let me have a demo until it came in. Took about 4 days. When i was in shopping mode i drove the scion tc. It was a nice car but for the added price, and i needed alittle bit more room i went with the corolla. The car is sweet, needless to say i have loads of fun in my little "work" car. Oh yeah, i get 40 mpg. LOL Just wait till you are not upside down and trade that tc in on an brand new corolla. You will not regret it.

Sounds like you are a very happy Corplla owner.

I'm sure you would like the new Corolla. I'm interested in higher gas mileage without actually going the hybred route.
That's exactly why I bought an '09 Corolla XLE a few months ago. A similarly-equipped Prius, with much less comfortable seats, was $8K more. I put on mostly highway miles with a bunch of short trips around town. After 1500 miles, I average about 35mpg town and 44mpg highway.

I can sure relate to that! I have a '98, and I recently put close to $2K in fixing assorted leaks and overdue maintenance, but in my case, it was worth it. Every time I look at my car, I'm glad I still have it.

That said, just a couple weeks ago I went to a Corolla dealer on a Sunday, found one on the lot that hadn't been locked, and got in it. Well, first of all, I was shocked at how much bigger this car has gotten - it's the size Camry USED to be. Sadly, the prices have risen as well. Where I got my CE with the power package for under $15K, there are Corollas on this lot over $20K. The one I was sitting in was just under $19K. Ridiculous pricing for a Corolla. Happily, I was pleased with the velour seating I was used to with my car in the new one, only it seems to be an even better grade. The Yaris sedan they gave me as a rental while mine was being worked on was the same size as my old-timer and had woven cloths seats, but they were quality cloth seats, not the bedsheet-thin Chevrolet kind. The Yaris was also a beautiful French blue I wish the Corollas came in. Oh, and call me spoiled, but the cup holders in the new model Corolla are in an intelligent spot - I got so frustrated with mine that I ended up ripping out the little shelf that pops out under the holes. It was too hard to get to the cigarette lighter to plug in my portable CD player. But don't even get me started on the Yaris' cup holders...

I think that if I do trade the old girl on a new one, I'll wait and get it secondhand, or find a program car like mine was.

By the way, good luck to you all on the Gulf Coast, praying for you all down there...

Topic List