Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By BobLevine, August 2, 2008

Well, I was hoping to keep the OEM Integrity tires on my 08 CE at least 12K as I did with my, now traded, 03 CE.

After 7K, got a slow leak and the TPMS alerted me very quickly. Tire was 5 psi below its mates with no puncturing object in view.

Ok, it was time. Got a load of air at Shell and went to BJ's club which had a $60 instant discount on any set of 4 Michelins. Since I drive almost 100% city, I chose the 80K rated X-Radials. Went up to the LE size of 195-65 R15 to get the footprint that you get on the LE model. This is a direct replacement.

BJ's price with the coupon was $397 including free rotation, flat repair, rebalance, and road hazard coverage. Since I have the TPMS sensors, BJ's saved giving 4 new valve stems.

Oh yes, I said after driving out. Much better feel and smoother.

I suggest dumping the OEM tires ASAP. Pity Toyota still uses this tire.

Bikeman982

Well, I was hoping to keep the OEM Integrity tires on my 08 CE at least 12K as I did with my, now traded, 03 CE.

After 7K, got a slow leak and the TPMS alerted me very quickly. Tire was 5 psi below its mates with no puncturing object in view.

Ok, it was time. Got a load of air at Shell and went to BJ's club which had a $60 instant discount on any set of 4 Michelins. Since I drive almost 100% city, I chose the 80K rated X-Radials. Went up to the LE size of 195-65 R15 to get the footprint that you get on the LE model. This is a direct replacement.

BJ's price with the coupon was $397 including free rotation, flat repair, rebalance, and road hazard coverage. Since I have the TPMS sensors, BJ's saved giving 4 new valve stems.

I think Michelins are a much better tire for all around comfort and performance.

Max

Great choice, Bob, That'll be my next tire. My Bridgestone Turanza LS-Ts have been great, but they've been discontinued.

I too, can't wait to replace the OEM tires on my 07. I'll be getting a set of Yokohama YK520s for the Corolla.

I put a set of Yokos on my wife's Honda Odyssey and love them, as well as some on my 02 Nissan Frontier. Check 'em out, they're well regarded.

George

I think Michelins are a much better tire for all around comfort and performance.
I'd have to agree! Yokohama and Michelin are both Excellent tires!

Good call, Bob. Those Goodyear Integrity tires are just AWFUL. I have a 2004 Corolla S, and I actually nursed those awful tires to a bit over 40,000 miles. I changed to Pirelli P4, paid about $60 per tire (think it was around $300 with taxes and the alignment), and I have about 48,000 miles on them, and have probably another 15,000+ miles of treadwear. Plus, no squealing at low speeds, better rain handling, and better dry handling.

I have to wonder if Toyota gets a super deal on those awful tires. They're pathetic, and I hope they don't pay any more than $10 a tire for them. Too bad they pass them on to us.

The difference in quiet and in ride going over speed bumps is astounding.

Yea Michelin Man.

Bikeman982

I am sure Toyota gets a deal on the Integrity tires, since they buy them in bulk.

Aftermarket tires will give better comfort and performance.

Michelin and B.F. Goodrich, as well as many others are good.

• 149 posts

I'm not so sure that Goodyear is at fault in this. One of the tire engineers posting on BITOG says that it is the car manufacturers who dictate the standards for the OEM tires and the tire companies build the tire to suit the car company. The after-market Integrity tires are not the same as the OEM tires, they are built to Goodyear specs.

When I upgraded my wheels and tires I went with a 17x7 with Yokohama's, the ride is smooth and i love the bite when in curves. I was suprised that the lower profile of the 17's were as smooth as they are. I will stick with the Yokohama's, affordable and all around nice tire.

Yes, I can totally understand dumping the Goodyear Integritys. They came as OEM on my 2005, and never lasted. I got to around 70,000 kilometers on them, and had to replace them once the wear indicators were showing. I replaced them with the Michelin Harmony brand. A huge improvement. Much more expensive, but if anything, one shouldn't skimp on tires. I certainly won't.....and didn't.

For anyone stuck with Integritys, try pumping them to 44psi. Some on cleanmpg says this make a huge difference in gas mileage and tire life.

• 1,424 posts

I have Michelin Energy tires on my Solara and they are the same OE tires that were used on my grandmother's Lincoln Continentals. They are very quiet, exhibit good traction in all weather except ICE, and wear for a very long time. They are not cheap, but I've had cars with OE Michelins that were replaced with other brands later on and in my opinion cars just feel safer with Michelins than with mid priced tires.

Michelin has the most well suited and appropriate slogan of any company that I can think of. "Michelin, because so much is riding on your tires."

IIRC, Michelin also makes B.F. Goodrich tires, which I also regard as good tires (provided that you purchase the right ones)

I rate the Integritys not just as crap, but down right dangerous. They are the worse tires I have ever driven on. They are pure crapola.

You could probably get a huge upgrade by getting no name generic performance upgrades.

I rate the Integritys not just as crap, but down right dangerous. They are the worse tires I have ever driven on. They are pure crapola.

You could probably get a huge upgrade by getting no name generic performance upgrades.

Having had two sets previously (on the cars when I bought them), I thought the same thing until I bought an '09 Corolla with Bridgestone EL400s. The road feel and handling of the EL400s is abysmal in all conditions and almost make the Intregitys seem like performance tires.

Topic List