Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By Jason Downs July 25, 2008

Last night I finally got my tensioner swapped out.

I am so happy to have finally rid myself of that aweful noise that I just had to share... It's so nice driving a relatively quiet car again!   default_biggrin

default_biggrin Good deal - I was the same way with the Matrix - as soon as I was able to work on it, made the car much more enjoyable to drive. Neighbors probably appreciated the peace and quiet as well (usually leave 5AM to beat most of the traffic to work).

What kind of noise is associated with a bad tensioner? My Corolla makes a noise at low RPM in 1st gear, but I wouldn't associate the noise with belts.

Squeaking, chirping, rattling - usually on first startups and while idling. Can continue while driving, regardless of RPMs or gear, can get louder when there is more of a load on the engine or if accessories come on, loading the engine. Combination of glazed, contaminated belt and faulty or leaking belt tensioner "shock" or damaged pulley bearing. Most prevalent on the earlier 9th generation Corolla/Matrix - there was a redesign in 2005, 2006? that seems to have helped. Some have found that switching to a different belt - like a Goodyear Gatorback serpentine belt - greatly reduces the noise.

Last night I finally got my tensioner swapped out.

Did you replace it yourself?

Squeaking, chirping, rattling - usually on first startups and while idling. Can continue while driving, regardless of RPMs or gear, can get louder when there is more of a load on the engine or if accessories come on, loading the engine. Combination of glazed, contaminated belt and faulty or leaking belt tensioner "shock" or damaged pulley bearing. Most prevalent on the earlier 9th generation Corolla/Matrix - there was a redesign in 2005, 2006? that seems to have helped. Some have found that switching to a different belt - like a Goodyear Gatorback serpentine belt - greatly reduces the noise.

It's definitely mostly a rattling noise, and it doesn't make it in idle, which makes diagnosis a lot more difficult (impossible for one person if you don't have a dyno).

I had help, but it wasn't a big deal.

It's definitely mostly a rattling noise, and it doesn't make it in idle, which makes diagnosis a lot more difficult (impossible for one person if you don't have a dyno).

Yeah, mine didn't do it in idle, either.  Just low gear, especially if the AC was engaged.

When we pulled the old tensioner off, the shock portion of it was completely dead.

I had help, but it wasn't a big deal.

Yeah, mine didn't do it in idle, either. Just low gear, especially if the AC was engaged.

When we pulled the old tensioner off, the shock portion of it was completely dead.

Mine was really bad in damp weather. New part did the trick.

My 2003 Corolla with 45K miles also makes a loud squeak sound (due to belt slipping?) during the first few minutes of driving when humidity is high. I'm planning to change the original belt soon because it shows a lot of cracks on the ridges. The fact that the belt starts to have cracks this early makes me wonder whether I have a faulty tensioner as well. I assume a good tensioner should compensate for the tension lost due to the cracks. How to check/test whether the tensioner is bad? Where did you order the part? What brand and price? How difficult is the job?

Thanks!

My 2003 Corolla with 45K miles also makes a loud squeak sound (due to belt slipping?) during the first few minutes of driving when humidity is high. I'm planning to change the original belt soon because it shows a lot of cracks on the ridges. The fact that the belt starts to have cracks this early makes me wonder whether I have a faulty tensioner as well. I assume a good tensioner should compensate for the tension lost due to the cracks. How to check/test whether the tensioner is bad? Where did you order the part? What brand and price? How difficult is the job?

Thanks!

Do a search - you'll see other stories similar to yours.

I replaced my belt in my 04 (was doing the same thing your's is) I put in a gatorback and it has been quiet ever since. I was going to do the tensioner thing too, but since replacing the belt or taking it off is so simple, I figure I would try the belt first before I starting replacing parts. Since the startup was quiet, nothing else was needed to be fixed. My tensioner was tough to 'move'. I guess that should of been my sign that it was still good.

You'll notice a lot posters mention how Toyota OM belts glaze quickly/easily.

regarding your cracking-- the warmer and or dryer your part of the country- the quicker cracking can/will happen. cracking is a natural occurrence with a used/warn belt. The belt costs around $25-27 and can be ordered online or purchased locally. try advance auto parts, rock auto, or any other websites mentioned on this site. call your local auto parts places for price quotes.

its refreshing to hear about people fixing their cars BEFORE they break default_laugh

driving home last night i was next to a car which had

squeeling brakes

check engine light on

change oil now indicator flashing

and you know she'll blame the car when it breaks down...and then probably default on her car loan too.

check engine light onchange oil now indicator flashing
Pay attention to the road! default_laugh

check engine light onchange oil now indicator flashing

Pay attention to the road! default_laugh

i was busy being a passenger default_laugh

i was actually riding to autozone for some fuel line to re-patch a quick fix on my car thats been there for about 4 years.

the fitting on the bottom of the fuel filter had seized into the filter, and the line seized to the fitting. so i had to cut the line, get the thing apart off the car, and then i lacked the time and patience to repair the steel line under the car. so i put some bubble flares on the line and used some rubber fuel hose to patch the 2 together.

well silly me, i used plain fuel line. like the non pressure stuff for carbs and fuel returns. over the years it rotted on me, last night getting into my car i smelt a lil fuel and check it. yep, it was a little damp. so i got some fuel injection line, rubber line with a special liner inside to keep the fuel in better. problem solved! for atleast another 4 years.

Thanks a lot for the suggestion! I will change the belt first, and see how it goes.

Thanks!

Do a search - you'll see other stories similar to yours.

I replaced my belt in my 04 (was doing the same thing your's is) I put in a gatorback and it has been quiet ever since. I was going to do the tensioner thing too, but since replacing the belt or taking it off is so simple, I figure I would try the belt first before I starting replacing parts. Since the startup was quiet, nothing else was needed to be fixed. My tensioner was tough to 'move'. I guess that should of been my sign that it was still good.

You'll notice a lot posters mention how Toyota OM belts glaze quickly/easily.

regarding your cracking-- the warmer and or dryer your part of the country- the quicker cracking can/will happen. cracking is a natural occurrence with a used/warn belt. The belt costs around $25-27 and can be ordered online or purchased locally. try advance auto parts, rock auto, or any other websites mentioned on this site. call your local auto parts places for price quotes.

Topic List