Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2005 Ce Clank Noise After Moving A Few Feet

by jasontoy, October 29, 2004

Is this normal for a clank noise after driving a few feet. It only happens the first time you put it in drive or reverse than you can drive all day without it happenning. I was thinking maybe the sensor for the auto door locks or a sensor for the seatbelts....Anybody out there with a 2005 please get in your car put the window down in a quiet are and listen for the clank noise. I only have 250 miles and the car runs great. Hate to bring it back to the dealer....thanx...j

Clanking noise inside or outside the cabin? Since you mentioned that it only happens the first time you put it in gear. Sounds like your parking brake or drum brakes are popping free, perfectly normal. With 250 miles on the clock - the brake pads/shoes are probably just starting to bed in.

thanx for the reply. it is outside the cabin...after driving a few feet. I know my Brothers Tundra has a BRUMPHHH noise but this is very different..it is a clank.metal on metal noise....stuff like this really bothers me...most people with the radio on would never notice it....

My '05 Corolla does a similar thing. It is a moderately loud click-chirp-hiss sound, I think from the front right. It happens only after the car has been off, then started, and driven 1-10 feet. You can drive it all day and not hear it again unless you shut the engine off for a couple minutes.

The dealer couldn't tell me what the sound is. My first uneducated guess is that it's the ABS setup (behind the right headlight). If your car doesn't have ABS, then I can eliminate that theory.

Could be the one of the vacuum switching valves close to or around the air intake. Most of the 2003+ Corollas have a "ticking" or "hissing" sound coming from this area after startup. Also pretty normal. I can't hear mine (2002) - but I guess when they went with a composite intake runners vs aluminum intake runners - the noise seemed to gotten louder with the new Corollas.

XOR--.....YES! Thats the noise.....Now I can sleep nights. I do have ABS, and it does come from the right front corner! I thought I was going crazy.....I don't mind the noise as long as it is a normal toyota thing.....thanks for confirming it.............j

Jasontoy - Well, maybe we confirmed it's normal and we're not crazy. But, it's only a possibility that it's the ABS. Maybe I can convince my wife to creep the car forward with the hood open while I try to hear where the noise is coming from, hopefully without smashing my toes.

XOR- If you get any more info on this pleae let me know. I will do the same...thanx j..would you happen to know how or where to disconect the buzzer for the seatbelt, it drives me crazy.........

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)