Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Is Anyone Discussing The New 2009 Corolla?

by dave30076, July 13, 2008 in Toyota Corolla (2009 until 2018-19 “TNGA”)

If it's been mentioned elsewhere, I apologize. I haven't seen the topic in my chances to look.

I have a 2004 Corolla S, with a little over 84,000 miles. It'll be 5 years old this fall, and honestly, I have no intention of getting rid of it now...I plan to drive it for at least a couple more years. Still, I see the new Corollas around, and they're interesting. Honestly, though, I think the styling isn't changed enough, and there just aren't enough REAL performance options. The top model has a Camry engine with less than 170 horsepower. The Civic has a 200 hp model for probably about the same price. Also, I was at the dealership today (oil change), and the Scion Tc is priced about in lower to mid-level Corolla range, and it has that hotter engine for less than the Corolla costs (I think).

So...has it been discussed here? Anyone have one yet? Anyone have plans?

I've looked at the 10th gen Corollas - even though they look similar, there is a much higher sense of quality in the car - little more upscale. Not sure why Toyota is going in this direction - making the Corolla more like a little Camry. Sizewise, wheelbase is the same, but the car is slightly bigger all around compared to the 9th gen. Much quieter cabin, actually get a choice of engines with different trim. The 10th gen XRS will get spanked by the outgoing 9th gen XRS - performance wise. But the 2.4L "corporate engine" will probably see more aftermarket support than previous generations - since it is used in the Camry, Scion, Solara, and others - not a big powerhouse HP wise, but generates more torque compared to the previous 2ZZGE XRS and most of the Honda choices. The new 1.8L gains VVTi operation on both intake and exhaust cams. New Corollas are all about smooth operation, quiet, good economy - even its most sporting model I would consider lukewarm at most - think more affordable luxury, than economy car. Might be Toyota pushing the sporty models to the Scion and soon to be released Subaru/Toyota joint models. Not enough to get me to jump to a newer one yet - maybe when they release a RWD variant - then I might change my mind.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla (2009 until 2018-19 “TNGA”)