Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

How Do I Remove The 1995 Toyota Corolla Rear Light Cover?

by lmoore, July 12, 2008 in Pre-1997 Toyota Corolla and Geo Prizm

Can someone please tell me how to remove the rear, passenger side light attachment on the 1995 Toyota Corolla DX - 4 door sedan so that I can replace a bulb?

Bikeman982

Can someone please tell me how to remove the rear, passenger side light attachment on the 1995 Toyota Corolla DX - 4 door sedan so that I can replace a bulb?
Do you mean the tail light??

Open the trunk and take out the two 10MM bolts(screws).

Under the liner is another 10MM bolt that must be removed.

Then pull straight back.

That is how uou take it out to change a bulb.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for your reply. However, on my 1995 Toyota Corolla DX - 4 door sedan the right rear tail light cover has 2 screws on the outside of the cover - one at the left bottom and one at the left top. Inside the trunk there is one screw in the middle that passes through the metal housing in which the lights are enclosed and has a nut on the end. There are also 2 attachments coming from the right side of the light that have some kind of plastic seal on the ends, that that pass through inside the trunk. I don't know how the seals can be removed with out destroying them and even if I remove the seals I can't pull back on the light because those two attachments come in from the right side of the rear right tail light cover and stick about 1/2 inch through the trunk. Consequently, I will have to find some way to remove the side attachments before I can pull back after removing all the other screws.

Then pull straight back.

Hope this helps.

I'm going to say just be persistent. Those two shafts at the side should slide right out as they are part of the taillight assembly, and may just be temporarily caught somewhere.

If you have already removed the two bolts on the light's inside edge and the nut securing the threaded stud in the rear, there is nothing else to remove.

Bikeman982

Thank you for your reply. However, on my 1995 Toyota Corolla DX - 4 door sedan the right rear tail light cover has 2 screws on the outside of the cover - one at the left bottom and one at the left top. Inside the trunk there is one screw in the middle that passes through the metal housing in which the lights are enclosed and has a nut on the end. There are also 2 attachments coming from the right side of the light that have some kind of plastic seal on the ends, that that pass through inside the trunk. I don't know how the seals can be removed with out destroying them and even if I remove the seals I can't pull back on the light because those two attachments come in from the right side of the rear right tail light cover and stick about 1/2 inch through the trunk. Consequently, I will have to find some way to remove the side attachments before I can pull back after removing all the other screws.

Then pull straight back.

Hope this helps.

Those 2 attachments coming from the right side of the light are pressed in and the whole light is pulled out (pull straight back) to remove.

Here are two pictures (taken from the back of the light after removed from car).

Hopefully you can see the two holes for the screws, the bolt tab, and the two attachments that are pressed into the part on the car (you call them plastic seals).

Again, thank you for your help. However, all your attachments/studs are coming from the rear of the light cover while I have 2 studs that come in from the right side of the cover. How do I pull back with them sticking through the side? Please take a look at the pictures below to see what I am talking about:

Your Light Connection

My Light Connection

Those 2 attachments coming from the right side of the light are pressed in and the whole light is pulled out (pull straight back) to remove.

Here are two pictures (taken from the back of the light after removed from car.

Hopefully you can see the two holes for the screws, the bolt tab, and the two attachments that are pressed into the part on the car (you call them plastic seals).

Bikeman982

Again, thank you for your help. However, all your attachments/studs are coming from the rear of the light cover while I have 2 studs that come in from the right side of the cover. How do I pull back with them sticking through the side? Please take a look at the pictures below to see what I am talking about:

Your Light Connection

My Light Connection

Do you have a picture from another angle.

I am unable to determine how it is attached by your picture.

If it is the stock light, then what I have described is true.

If it has been modified, then I would need to see it myself to figure out how to detach.

I think the two studs are for something else and not the light assembly.

Here is another picture of my rear right tail light. The 2 studs coming from the right rear side do appear to be connected to the tail light. After I remove all the other screws, those 2 appear to be what is keeping the light attached. I am sure that the tail light has been removed before but I don't know if the connection was altered. However, as you will notice, I do not have the 2 studs coming in from the back of the cover as you do in the picture you have. Please take a look at the picture below...

Rear Right Tail Light

Your Light Connection

My Light Connection

Do you have a picture from another angle.

I am unable to determine how it is attached by your picture.

If it is the stock light, then what I have described is true.

If it has been modified, then I would need to see it myself to figure out how to detach.

I think the two studs are for something else and not the light assembly.

Here is another picture of my rear right tail light. The 2 studs coming from the right rear side do appear to be connected to the tail light. After I remove all the other screws, those 2 appear to be what is keeping the light attached. I am sure that the tail light has been removed before but I don't know if the connection was altered. However, as you will notice, I do not have the 2 studs coming in from the back of the cover as you do in the picture you have. Please take a look at the picture below...

Rear Right Tail Light

My car has the same plastic studs and I can assure you they do not hold the taillight assembly in place. I have removed my taillight many times. Sometimes they get caught and you have to wiggle them as you slide them out.

When I remove the one nut from the screw that is inside the trunk and remove the 2 screws attached from the outside of the light, it's the right side where the 2 studs are attached that I can not get to move. I will give it another try and see what happens. It could be sticking on that side for some other reason. However, those 2 studs are coming through the tail light fixture and I wouldn't want to just snap them if they are attached. Never the less, thanks to everyone for their help...

Rear Right Tail Light

My car has the same plastic studs and I can assure you they do not hold the taillight assembly in place. I have removed my taillight many times. Sometimes they get caught and you have to wiggle them as you slide them out.

Bikeman982

I would think that the two studs you have are just pressed in, otherwise you would see some way to remove them from the outside.

My guess is that they are for something other than the taillight.

Thanks! I'll give it a try...

I would think that the two studs you have are just pressed in, otherwise you would see some way to remove them from the outside.My guess is that they are for something other than the taillight.

Bikeman982

I would think that the two studs you have are just pressed in, otherwise you would see some way to remove them from the outside.My guess is that they are for something other than the taillight.

I have checked my car (instead of just looking at the light assemblies that I have removed from cars) and see that the two studs do not hold your light.

They actually hold the two clips that the light presses into. They are not removed when taking out the light assembly.

To remove -

Just undo the two screws from the back (after opening the trunk lid) then taking out the single 10mm nut (under the trunk lining, inside the trunk).

After that, just pull rearward and the light assembly will come out (until held by the wiring).

Installation is the reverse

As always, thanks to everyone for their help but if the 2 studs on the rear right side of my tail light do not have to be removed in order to remove the tail light then all I have is 1 screw inside the trunk and 2 screws on the tail light outside the trunk to remove. The reason I thought the 2 side studs inside the trunk were part of the tail light assembly was because everyone kept mentioning 3 screws inside the truck. However, when I remove the 2 outside screws and the 1 screw inside the trunk the light will not come off and it is hanging on the side where the 2 studs are located. Never the less, I will try again and see what happens - as soon as it cools off a bit outside.

I have checked my car (instead of just looking at the light assemblies that I have removed from cars) and see that the two studs do not hold your light.

They actually hold the two clips that the light presses into. They are not removed when taking out the light assembly.

To remove -

Just undo the two screws from the back (after opening the trunk lid) then taking out the single 10mm nut (under the trunk lining, inside the trunk).

After that, just pull rearward and the light assembly will come out (until held by the wiring).

Installation is the reverse

Bikeman982

Just pull - try not to crack the lens - do not use any tools - use your fingers.

It will pull straight out - trust me, I have done it numerous times.

Thanks! Will do...

Just pull - try not to crack the lens - do not use any tools - use your fingers.It will pull straight out - trust me, I have done it numerous times.

Bikeman982

Thanks! Will do...

Just pull - try not to crack the lens - do not use any tools - use your fingers.It will pull straight out - trust me, I have done it numerous times.

Let us know how it turns out.

Will do! Again, thanks to you and everyone for their help...

Bikeman982

Will do! Again, thanks to you and everyone for their help...

No problem.

We love to help others and also share information.

Everyone is different, but we have a Corolla in common.

Topic List: Go to Pre-1997 Toyota Corolla and Geo Prizm