Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Scan Guage For 6th Generation Corolla 1991

by bixxl, July 8, 2008 in Pre-1997 Toyota Corolla and Geo Prizm

Is there something that I can use to watch my fuel consumption, while I'm driving my corolla? by keeping it under 70mph and yes I use the ac. this 1.6 (japan take out motor) 5 speed get 37mpg. I would like to see if i can do better. thanks bixxl

Bikeman982

Is there something that I can use to watch my fuel consumption, while I'm driving my corolla? by keeping it under 70mph and yes I use the ac. this 1.6 (japan take out motor) 5 speed get 37mpg. I would like to see if i can do better. thanks bixxl
New Corollas have on-board computers that give MPG readouts continuously (don't they??).

I have seen a new Ford Fusion that has one. Maybe you can get one put in your car??

Scan gage works with ODBII cars.

Not sure you can do anything for a 91 for real time fuel economy.

Like gvr4ever mentioned - most of the scan gauges on the market are designed for OBD-II equipped cars (1996+ and some 1994-1995 models).

They do make little standalone accelerometer boxes that warn the driver if you are accelerating or braking beyond a preset threshold. But for $100-$200 for these "brains" - makes more sense to put it toward a good tune-up, fill the tires will more air, and whatever is leftover for more gas money. 37MPG on a 1.6L w/ 5-speed is about as good as it gets on a 6th gen. Only things left might be to drop the ride height to control how much air gets under the car and clean up the aero aspect of the car.

Also a word of potential issues - some data loggers for OBDI cars, also set the ECM into a "diagnostic mode" - car may run weird or worse than before. On some cars - it will disable ABS operation (if equipped) and or turn off built in protection features (rev limiters, temperature warning, ets.)Definitely not the right direction for getting better performance/fuel economy.

Bikeman982

The best way to compare economy is to maintain a log of gas and miles.

There may be times when you get better fuel economy and you can compare to when your fuel consumption is higher, to help it improve.

A good tune-up and conservative driving habits are by far a better investment for getting the most out of your gas consumer.

Topic List: Go to Pre-1997 Toyota Corolla and Geo Prizm