Bikeman982

Here are some "before" pictures -

https://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h256/Bik...gs/P6160470.jpg

https://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h256/Bik...gs/P6160471.jpg

https://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h256/Bik...gs/P6160472.jpg

https://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h256/Bik...gs/P6160473.jpg

https://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h256/Bik...gs/P6160474.jpg

Do you think it is repairable??

Looks like hood, fender, radiator, A/C condenser and lines and receiver/drier, passenger drive axle, tie rod, tie rod end, bumper and associated bumper parts, etc. require change.

The big question - can the body sheet metal that is crushed be fixed??

Ouch, I don't know about that one Bike. Do you have any shots, straight down the sides of the car? Passenger side door looks like it will need some work - did you notice if any of the body gaps are off (one side has bigger gaps than the other). How about the bottom, subframe damage? Cracks in transaxle, engine, damaged oil pan?

Hard to tell from the photo, but I'd be willing to bet that that body is not 100% squared up. Have to put that on a chassis jig and straighten the unitbody. I've seen some people do it themselves with a couple of stout trees, some chains, and a come-along - but that will only get you sort of straightened out. I don't mind much of the replacing the body, but if the subframe is bent, the panel will not lineup or hang correctly. Minor body work is one thing - but if the frame needs to be pulled, that is just asking for problems.

Must have been one heck of a hit - looks like the passengerside steering arm from the rack is completely sheared off - bent all crazy, like a used pipe cleaner.

As for straightening sheet metal - you can, if it is not creased badly. You can straighten almost anything metal, but in the process, you might see the panel "shrink, from its original dimension". Need a bunch of body working tools to do a decent job - spoons, dollies, hammers, picks, etc. - not very cheap, either. Be cheaper and a better use of your time to just replace the crushed bits - the ones that are bent, you can work with and get much better results.

If I came across a car like that - I wouldn't be thinking, "can this be fixed" - I'd think along the lines of "this would make an OK parts car".

Bikeman982

Ouch, I don't know about that one Bike. Do you have any shots, straight down the sides of the car? Passenger side door looks like it will need some work - did you notice if any of the body gaps are off (one side has bigger gaps than the other). How about the bottom, subframe damage? Cracks in transaxle, engine, damaged oil pan?

Hard to tell from the photo, but I'd be willing to bet that that body is not 100% squared up. Have to put that on a chassis jig and straighten the unitbody. I've seen some people do it themselves with a couple of stout trees, some chains, and a come-along - but that will only get you sort of straightened out. I don't mind much of the replacing the body, but if the subframe is bent, the panel will not lineup or hang correctly. Minor body work is one thing - but if the frame needs to be pulled, that is just asking for problems.

Must have been one heck of a hit - looks like the passengerside steering arm from the rack is completely sheared off - bent all crazy, like a used pipe cleaner.

As for straightening sheet metal - you can, if it is not creased badly. You can straighten almost anything metal, but in the process, you might see the panel "shrink, from its original dimension". Need a bunch of body working tools to do a decent job - spoons, dollies, hammers, picks, etc. - not very cheap, either. Be cheaper and a better use of your time to just replace the crushed bits - the ones that are bent, you can work with and get much better results.

If I came across a car like that - I wouldn't be thinking, "can this be fixed" - I'd think along the lines of "this would make an OK parts car".

I know the car would be better off sold as parts, but the owner really likes it and wants it fixed - and is willing to pay for parts and labor.

I don't have any side shots, but the damage is just to the front passenger door (where the fender pushed it). The rest is front end damage.

It appears that the car must have already been in another accident because the whole front was aftermarket/replacement parts.

They were primer and not painted. Also the radiator support was aftermarket, as well as the front lights.

The owner dissassembled the front before I got there (took off wheel and wheel bearing, etc.)

I am going to replace the passenger side front door (I have one from the local junkyard).

The chasis and frame all look straight - no gaps or alignment issues.

The engine and tranny are still intact, although the radiator leaks (I will replace it).

I am planning on using a "saws all" to cut out the crumpled metal and then weld/bolt or otherwise attach replacement metal.

The frame and chasis were not damaged at all and the hardest part will be cutting off the old stuff.

The tie rod/steering arm was broken off and I have obtained the entire piece from the local junkyard.

I went back to the local junkyard (after not visiting for about two months) and there are several donor cars now.

There are two 1993, a 1994, a 1995, 1997 and (for the first time ever), I saw a 1998. (anyone need any 8th generation parts??)

Plenty of spare parts!!

Ever change airbags?? Any associated problems (other than "star" tool required)?

I didn't buy the car, so no money spent there. It is a challenge I accept.

I have the parts - I can rebuild it!!

I know the car would be better off sold as parts, but the owner really likes it and wants it fixed...

I think "like" might be a bit of an understatement. Just curious, what would you estimate to the cost of fixing this thing based on what you know about the car?

I'd make darn sure that strut tower isn't bent even the slightest bit, before I put any time into it. I've looked at several with similar damage locally, and the strut tower was bent in each case. Proceed with extreme caution.

Bikeman982

I estimate $620.00 for parts and whatever I charge for the labor (probably $500), so a total of $1120.00.

The strut looks fine - what do you mean by strut "tower". Is that where the strut mounts to the body??

That area is fine - the car hit something low on the ground and destroyed the rim and also the tie rod and front end parts.

With cars with popped airbags - you also have to replace the airbag sensors - I think on the 7th gen, they are near the fenders. Usually, they get damaged in an accident that is strong enough to pop the airbags. More power to you Bike, that looks like a lot of work. One of those projects that have a lot of "hidden" damage. But if the owner is that attached to the car and willing to pay for your time and labor, have at it. Though I'd ask for the money up front - that is a lot of parts needed there.

I've seen worse cars get fixed than that. The real question is do you really want to fix it. It is going to take alot of time and some money to get it on the road again. If you were planning on paying someone to do most of the work and this car is just going to be a work car then I wouldn't waste my time on it. However, if this is going to be your weekend project car then I would say go for it really everything can be fixed. But do know that what you see is most likely to be just the beginning.

Bikeman982

With cars with popped airbags - you also have to replace the airbag sensors - I think on the 7th gen, they are near the fenders. Usually, they get damaged in an accident that is strong enough to pop the airbags. More power to you Bike, that looks like a lot of work. One of those projects that have a lot of "hidden" damage. But if the owner is that attached to the car and willing to pay for your time and labor, have at it. Though I'd ask for the money up front - that is a lot of parts needed there.
I also got from the junkyard the airbag sensor that is located under the fender. I plan to put it back on the fender when installing the parts.

I already received money for the parts ($800) and have obtained just about everything but the airbags.

It is only an hour or so a day, or a weekend project.

There is no great urgency on getting it fixed.

The owner will pay me and it removes the need for me to buy the car and then have to resell it after I have it fixed.

More to follow.

I think the car is fixable, but, it's about as close to a washout as you could get.

I'm not sure if you could do it yourself as a project car, though. My guess is that you will need to have to do things that you might not have the equipment for.

I have a friend that rebuilds wrecks for a living and the general rule of thumb is, if there is frame damage or serious side or rear damage, that car would probably end up as a parts car.

At any rate, best of luck to you with it!!!

timkedz

Bikeman982

I think the car is fixable, but, it's about as close to a washout as you could get.

I'm not sure if you could do it yourself as a project car, though. My guess is that you will need to have to do things that you might not have the equipment for.

I have a friend that rebuilds wrecks for a living and the general rule of thumb is, if there is frame damage or serious side or rear damage, that car would probably end up as a parts car.

At any rate, best of luck to you with it!!!

timkedz

Thanks,

That is what I go by as a general rule as well.

I cut out the worst part already.

The sheet metal was crumpled, but there is no frame damage.

I will post some more pictures later.

Bikeman982

I got a driver's side air bag from the local junkyard.

It came from a car that had the same interior color code and should match perfectly.

The bag used "star" screws to hold it in and required a "star" tool to take it off.

I still need to get the passenger's side air bag, but it was not available on the 1993 year models.

I need to find a 1994 or newer with the same colored interior.

More to follow.

Bikeman982

Hopefully I will be working on the car again this week and I will post how it goes.

I still need to pull the part of the driver's drive shaft assembly that goes into the tranny and the tie rod.

After that, the rest is putting things on - such as the upper radiator mount and the sheet metal that replaces the crushed part (I cut it off).

I will try and get pictures as it progresses.

More to follow.

I'd let it go. The frame is beyond bent. It's crushed and separated. If it was off a little, it wouldn't be a big deal, but that is trashed. I guess anything could be fixed, but if your honest it the ins, it will get a salvage tittle, not be worth as much, and ins usually charges more to insure a car with a salvage tittle. Also, that is tore up so bad, even if it was fixed, I doubt that it would be as strong and not as safe as before.

Corolla's are a dime a dozen. Why would you want to fix that one?

Bike said before the car had sentimental value to its owner, and he's just commissioned to fix it.

Bikeman982

Bike said before the car had sentimental value to its owner, and he's just commissioned to fix it.

True - if it was mine, I would part it out.

The owner is willing to pay and I am willing to fix.

It will probably cost more than the car is worth and more than it would cost to replace with another car.

It is a project in work for me and has no time limit.

I expect it will take at least two more weeks to repair.

More to follow.

Bikeman982

No work done on it today.

I am still looking for some parts and also wondering how I am going to attach the upper radiator support.

I cut the sheet metal away from the old one and also cut one from a junkyard donor car.

I suppose I could weld it (if I knew how to weld and had a welder), or rivet it (same), or drill and bolt it together (good possibility it is doable by me).

More to follow.

Bikeman982

The owner believes the control arm is bent, so tomorrow I will head to the local junkyard to look for more parts.

I hope to get a passenger's side airbag and a control arm.

More to follow.

Bikeman982

Today I went to the local junkyard and took the control arm off a control brace (already removed from a car).

I also took a passenger's side airbag from another car (front end was totalled but bag not deployed).

The glove box was also usable and I took that as well.

It was 20 percent off because of the holiday and the three parts were only $72.

More to follow.

Bikeman982

I already took the passenger's side front door off and have another one to put on (different color).

Unfortunately the door panel and handles were already gone when I found the door at the local junkyard.

Maybe I can swap the old parts onto the junkyard door?

The door came from a DX (which had power door locks/window).

The car does not have that and the window regulator might need changing as well.

More to follow.

Bikeman982

Yesterday I put the front passenger's side door on (from the junkyard).

It lined up perfectly and looks good (except color is slightly different).

I also took out the rest of the passenger's side driveshaft and also the bent tie rod.

Today I bought a door trim panel and another upper radiator support.

The previous replacement upper radiator support did not have enough of the sheet metal attached to replace the damaged car sheet metal.

More to follow.

Bikeman982

Check out my other post which has pictures of the upper radiator support.

I will try to attach it to the car tomorrow. That might be the biggest challenge of the repair.

Bikeman982

I painted the upper radiator support and hope it is attachable to my project car,

After that, it will be A/C parts and radiator, etc.

Bikeman982

I have not worked on the car for a while and hope to get to it tomorrow.

More to follow.

Bikeman982

Here are some of the latest pictures -

https://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h256/Bik...gs/P7310599.jpg

https://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h256/Bik...gs/P7310600.jpg

https://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h256/Bik...gs/P7310601.jpg

https://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h256/Bik...gs/P7310602.jpg

https://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h256/Bik...gs/P7310603.jpg

https://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h256/Bik...gs/P7310604.jpg

I riveted the upper radiator support to the car.

It still needs to be fastened where the windshield washer reservoir sits.

The lower radiator support turns out to be bent as well, but I will use it anyway.

I have since put the A/C condenser in and am changing the dented lines.

Pictures posted removed due to not working then re-posted - What's up with that???

Is it Photobucket or this site??

More to follow.

Topic List