1. 1. Road tripping economy

• 42+ MPG Excellent!
    • 39-41 MPG Very nice
    • 36-38 MPG Nice
    • 33-35 MPG Good
    • 30-32 MPG OK
    • under 30 - Hummmmm?

See every reply in these pages:

I just filled up. Around town, little AC, light freeway = 33.5 MPG.

I bought some Mobil 1 oil to try out. Switching from a Synthetic Blend that the PO used.

My wife is taking a road trip tomorrow. Road trip mileage to follow...

--Hugh

I bought some Mobil 1 oil to try out. Switching from a Synthetic Blend that the PO used.

My wife is taking a road trip tomorrow. Road trip mileage to follow...

--Hugh

I've had my 2004 Corolla 5 years this October, and I just turned a tick over 82,000 miles. Over those miles, I am averaging right at 33 miles per gallon, and that is mostly in-town, rush hour driving. When I do get the chance to take it on a trip, I've seen as high as 40-41 mpg for a tank.

My Corolla is a Corolla S, with the 5 speed and A/C. Still runs quite nicely.

• 1,424 posts

My Solara weighs ~3500 lbs with gas and myself in it. I drive about 80 mph on the freeway part of my daily commute, which is 90% of the total miles driven to work.

My car has a trip computer, and it tells me that I average 29.2 mpg on my daily commute. To test it's accuracy I did an actual calculation on my last fill up and got 28.7 mpg. It seems to me that the trip computer is about 98.3% accurate, which is close enough for me to trust it.

If I can slow down to 65 mph, I can push 32 mpg and I probably should since gas is $4 a gallon. I drive about 34 miles a day and so using 1.06 gallons a day verses 1.18 would save me about $13 a month in gas.

The Corolla was a lot better on gas since it got 38 mpg, but the Solara is more of what I'm interested in a car right now. My next car will be a hybrid ( for environmental and political reasons, not money savings).

-the99contour

Last fill-up - averaged about 34MPG >> 2002 Toyota Corolla S ~85 mile commute, mixed driving (DC Metro traffic)

Last road trip - averaged about a hair under 39MPG >> 2003 Toyota Matrix XRS ~ from Virginia to Ohio (averaged about 65MPH over a 365 mile trip)

Premium gas only in the Matrix, Corolla got regular gas for this tank (usually run premium as well - gets around 3-4MPG bump average, minimum)

My last tank was 43 MPG (10.506 gallons over 455.2 miles) in mixed driving conditions (probably 55% city). The average trip was 13 miles, so it was far from a "road trip" tank - just commute to work, babysitter, and back home. Slow starts, little braking, slower speeds, coasting, and tire pressures (well) above what the door frame says - basic hypermiling tools. Oh, and I have a ScanGauge. This is a stock '01 LE with 112k miles. This tank will probably be closer to 41 MPG thanks to the 100ºF+ days lately (I can't go without A/C on days like these).

--Hugh

Last weekend was a total of 1,000 k driving my stepdaughter to school and back. (She was teaching). I averaged 36 mpg CDN, which is about 43.5 US. I figure about 40% of that was city driving. I don't know if the Mobile 1 I use makes any difference in gas mileage or not though.

By the way...I had just finished waxing my car with "NXT" and seeing as it makes a difference in Nascar....it may make a difference in regular driving.?????

Bikeman982

I average 28 MPG, but that is combination highway and local roads.

Bikeman,

You must be using AC. It is 90' today at the beach...unseasonable for June.

"El huevo" comes home tomorrow. I changed to Mobil 1 just before the trip.

--Hugh

Last fill up was slightly under 27 mpg, which is typical. Just driving around town, stop and go. 2 or 3 days a week I might hit 50-55 mph for a minute or two. No highway driving. Only use AC maybe one trip a week. Speaking of which, I've never had the AC serviced since buying the car 11 years ago and it still blows cool enough.

I recently put in 32 litres (8.5 gallons), covering 417km (260 miles). So, we get 30.6 mpg. Now 58% of this (or 242km) was a return trip to Parkes with 4 other men aboard (for the June long weekend some work colleagues from around the state congregated in Dubbo for the weekend. We went to the picnic horse races in parkes). I certainly could feel the extra ~300+kg in braking and acceleration. anyway,this is 7.7ltr/100km which is good for a near 50/50 split of urban and highway driving.

Normally I can get 9.5L/100km in town (~25 mpg), true not great and I don't really rev it, I try to keep it under 2000-2200rpm. I use E10, but I have found I get similar mileage on regular unleaded. On a highway I can get 6.6L/100km (36 mpg).

For the record, conventional petrol in dubbo is, at current exchange rates, US$6 a gallon. $4 a gallon is so appealing.......

32 MPG during my commute. 38 with a short road trip (160 miles) and then normal commute. I've never taken the Corolla on a long/1 tank trip. I think 40 would be possible.

Just got finished with a tank of Exxon 87 on the Corolla - ran a bit weird the whole time, A/C on the entire time:

339.1 miles, 11.421 gallons = 29.69 MPG - lowest I've gotten in over 6 months. Doh!! Hot weather + bad gas = poor fuel economy. This time filled with premium and see what will happen.

Kind of got sticker shocked a bit - 11.421 gallons @ $4.449 (cheapest Shell station in the area) = $50.81 default_ohmy Better than the company truck and my neighbors with supersized SUVs - almost all have 25+ gallon tanks. Just filled the truck (Toyota Tundra), it was over $100 with regular (25 gallons, $4.339 at Texaco next to work = $108.48 !!!).

Bikeman982

Bikeman,

You must be using AC. It is 90' today at the beach...unseasonable for June.

"El huevo" comes home tomorrow. I changed to Mobil 1 just before the trip.

--Hugh

I don't normally use the A/C, but I drive with the windows open.

I have a very heavy foot and like to beat the next guy to the next light.

I also go a little faster than the average commuter.

If I drove at 65 MPH the mileage would go up, but it would be boring!

Road trip mileage to Tahoe and back was much less than ideal. Sacramento was 102 degrees, so my wife decided recirc the AC all the way there and back, so the road trip mileage includes AC and a steep grade. MPG on the way back was better on the downhill.

My results: 33.5 MPG around town (daily routine)

overall 37.5 MPG on a road trip with AC.

Not awesome, but better than any of my other cars.

--Hugh

Bikeman982

Road trip mileage to Tahoe and back was much less than ideal. Sacramento was 102 degrees, so my wife decided recirc the AC all the way there and back, so the road trip mileage includes AC and a steep grade. MPG on the way back was better on the downhill.

My results: 33.5 MPG around town (daily routine)

overall 37.5 MPG on a road trip with AC.

Not awesome, but better than any of my other cars.

--Hugh

Where do you live?

Sounds close to my neighborhood.

Has been waaaay too hot here lately.

Yeah, I take 17 to 880 to 680 to 80 and there you are. I'm in Santa Cruz, 90 minutes south of San Francisco. Gotta go through the valley to get to Tahoe. I was bummed when I heard my wife used the AC all the way up the grade to Tahoe, isn't that hard on a little car? Or maybe easier on a small lighter car than a large car.

I am pretty sure that I can get 40 on a road trip without AC using cruise control.

--Hugh

Bikeman982

Yeah, I take 17 to 880 to 680 to 80 and there you are. I'm in Santa Cruz, 90 minutes south of San Francisco. Gotta go through the valley to get to Tahoe. I was bummed when I heard my wife used the AC all the way up the grade to Tahoe, isn't that hard on a little car? Or maybe easier on a small lighter car than a large car.

I am pretty sure that I can get 40 on a road trip without AC using cruise control.

--Hugh

I have been to Santa Cruz a few times.

My daughter went to school at Bethany and my brother lives in Aptos.

Using the A/C won't hurt the car, but it does reduce the MPG.

Using cruise control helps get better MPG.

On both a '97 Prizm and a '00 Corolla I average 23- 27 MPG with a nearly 95-100% of stop-and-go city driving. Lots of stop lights and short trips under 5 miles round trip! Oh, and an occasional drive-thru here and there. All things considered, I think that is actually very good mileage!

On the open road with either one of them, I can easily get between 35-37 MPG without even trying. I can get very close to 40 MPG with a light foot and/or cruise control.

All in all, pretty respectable mileage, I believe........

Bikeman982

On both a '97 Prizm and a '00 Corolla I average 23- 27 MPG with a nearly 95-100% of stop-and-go city driving. Lots of stop lights and short trips under 5 miles round trip! Oh, and an occasional drive-thru here and there. All things considered, I think that is actually very good mileage!

On the open road with either one of them, I can easily get between 35-37 MPG without even trying. I can get very close to 40 MPG with a light foot and/or cruise control.

All in all, pretty respectable mileage, I believe........

Better than most cars and SUV's.

Guest srichey

Driving a 2009 base model. I'm only on my 2nd tank but I'm averaging about 32.5 right now. I live in San Diego, drive about 34 miles per day, 8 of those miles are in the city. It will be interesting to see where its at when i hit the 5k mark.

Bikeman982

Driving a 2009 base model. I'm only on my 2nd tank but I'm averaging about 32.5 right now. I live in San Diego, drive about 34 miles per day, 8 of those miles are in the city. It will be interesting to see where its at when i hit the 5k mark.
I am thinking of coming to San Diego.

What are some of the places I should check out??

I am thinking of coming to San Diego.

What are some of the places I should check out??

Petco is a great stadium to catch a ball game, it is down in the Gaslamp district. I went to Dicks Last Stand about 10 years ago. Food was so so, we went there for the beer and to throw wadded up napkins at other people.

Srichey: Which SD beaches are best to visit?

I now drive 150miles per day from Fullerton to Santa Clarita. Anyhow, I fill up every two days and this just in, 40mpg driving 70-75 and pushing in the clutch on hills. 208,700 miles on my 98

I got 37mpg this weekend. AC and 70mph the entire trip of 360 miles.

I need to leave sooner and go 60mph and try to break 40mpg.

--Hugh

1999 Corolla. 5-spd 84K

23-24 city. 2 mile commute and anywhere from 2-10 minute idle time with A/C running while waiting for my wife after work... Oh and I drive rather spiritedly...

35-38 Highway. 80mph and A/C running on the hills of Pennsylvania. thule roof rack with two bike carriers.

I use mobil 1, and have amsoil in the trans.

Topic List