Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

90 Corolla Ignition Features

by tashirosgt, June 1, 2008

I notice on my '90 Corolla ( 4AFE with AT) that when I turn the ignition key without pressing the gas pedal, I hear the fuel pump running but the starter does not cut on. This is all that heppens even if I turn the key all the way clockwise. When I press the gas pedal down, then turning the key triggers the starter and cranks the car. Is this a feature of the Corolla ignition? Or it is a sign of something wearing out?

Bikeman982

I had a 1990, and a 1991 Corolla and never had that problem.

I think the two systems are unrelated, although by pressing down on the gas pedal, you may be closing the throttle and putting the automatic choke on.

If the car were standard, then you would have a clutch interlock switch and the clutch pedal would have to be pressed down to allow curent to the starter circuit.

I think you have an electrical problem and should check out the starting system.

...............you may be closing the throttle and putting the automatic choke on.

Aren't 90's fuel injected? I thought '89 was the last year for a carburetor.

Yup - it is a fuelie - 4AFE engine designation (E) for electronic fuel injection.

But I've heard of this peculiar issue on other Toyotas - usually it is related to the ignition switch having intermittent contact. Could also be an issue with the throttle position sensor - could be drawing too much juice, cracking it a hair may drop the load slightly - enabling the starter to cut on (ignition switch realted) or an intermittent connection on the starter solenoid.

I would double check chassis ground connections and make sure you have a good connection to the battery - clean terminals, scrape corrosion away where neccessary. If that looks OK - I'd concentration on the switch. The actuation of the gas pedal is independant of the starting circuit - unless you have some wiring issues (aftermarket alarm system or similar).

Topic List