Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Red Coolant Versus Pink?

By jareer, May 10, 2008

I've searched the forum for this but can't seem to find the answer: I recently noticed that the level of coolant in the reservoir of my 2003 Corolla is pretty low, so I just picked up a gallon of red coolant at the dealership to add some extra mix to the reservoir. The only times the radiator was ever flushed was during dealer maintenance, so I've never handled it myself. The clerk at the window told me that she wasn't sure this was the right kind for my car since they "changed the formulation" around that year's model. She said that if I have red coolant in the radiator, then the gallon I picked up should be fine, but if it's more pinkish, then I need to exchange what I bought for the right kind. (I wasn't driving my Corolla when I went there so I had to return home and check). Well what I have is more pink than red, but if it's diluted 50-50 then that's probably what it ought to be.

Is there such a thing as pink versus red? Was there really a change in formulation around 2003? I thought that red coolant is just that, I didn't think there are different types of incompatible reds. Anybody have a clue? I'd appreciate it - thanks!

Max

Yes, there is a difference between Toyota Red and Toyota Pink. (Pink is extremely long-life) The clerk was right. If it were me, I'd flush, or at least drain, and fill with one or the other.

BTW, you'll probably get more answers to questions like these if you post in the regular "Corollas" area. "General Discussion" is for off-car-topic stuff (see other threads). Maybe they should rename this area "non-car related topics." default_smile

Yes, there is a difference between Toyota Red and Toyota Pink. (Pink is extremely long-life) The clerk was right. If it were me, I'd flush, or at least drain, and fill with one or the other.

BTW, you'll probably get more answers to questions like these if you post in the regular "Corollas" area. "General Discussion" is for off-car-topic stuff (see other threads). Maybe they should rename this area "non-car related topics." default_smile

Thanks for the info, and sorry about not realizing this isn't the best place to post; I'll post again in the correct forum (it's been years since I visited here!)

Max is right. Use red and all you have to do is drain from the radiator and refill. If you use pink you have to drain from there and the block drain, flush it, empty it again from both drains, then fill with pink. Easier to stay with red and you only have to drain it every 30k which for me is every 3yrs.

Topic List: Go to Everything Else