Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Home Security Systems

By TRCar54, May 9, 2008

Hi,

Does anyone have any first hand knowledge and experience with home security systems that they could share with me? I've never had one so I'm not all that familiar with what works, what doesn't and how components should be placed.

My system will probably consist of the following:

• Keypad

• Siren in attic near soffit vents

• Recessed magnetic contacts for 3 doors

• Two motion sensors in living area

• One motion sensor in garage

• Remote keypad in master bedroom

• Remington 1100 semi-automatic with polychoke

I've been advised that most people today go with wireless units and that Ademco (Honeywell) Lynx and GE Simon are pretty good systems.

I've also read that wireless units have more false alerts.

Thanks much for the feedback.

Jay in MA

• 1,424 posts

I personally would pay for a low cost hardwired system before I would put in a wireless system.

Wireless home security is like a wireless radar detector, the batteries will die at an inopportune time it won't work like it should.

Additionally since they can only operate in accordance to FCC part 15 class B regulations, they are subject to and must accept any interference which can and will cause false alarms.

Just my .02

-the99contour

Ive had better success with giant dogs than any home security system which have all been headaches for me. Once I got a 195lb newfoundland the breakins stopped. Had him for 12yrs with no breakins in my home or vehicles, then I got a 185lb english mastiff and I have had him for 11yrs without one breakin either. You will probably spend as much for the dogs as the security system after all expenses food vet bills ect but the security systems only bring headaches to where the dogs add much joy and laughs to your life as well as security.

Max

I have a hard-wired ADT system. If the electric goes out, the battery-backup kicks in. It's fine, no problems, no false alarms, but the sign out front and the window stickers may be the best deterrent. That and motion-detector lighting will accomplish a lot.

Many thanks to all of you for your input. I am inclined to go wired.....I agree that there are probably far fewer problems and where I won't be arming windows it shouldn't be very difficult in a ranch style home with full basement.

I think the signs probably do help a lot.

No more dogs for a while but you chose a couple of good dogs for sure.....would the Newfie actually bite anyone? default_biggrin

If anyone else has input, please do chime in.

Thanks again folks,

Jay in MA

Absolutely he'd bite. He chased several people out of the yard at different times thru his life and growled at others outside the fence or vehicle. He was an alfa which can help although my mastiff is no alpha yet he is more fierce than the newf was.

Mastiffs are very friendly also but mine is very protective and unfriendly except with family, small kids and other animals. He chased a lawn crew of six into the back of their pickup scared to death once when they showed up unannounced. They never did that again and I dont blame them he's a monster when angry. He puts on a good show in my van when I take him with me too. Everyone in the whole parking lot hears him and see's my van shaking and they appear stunned and know he means business. One time a man said thats a vicious dog you have there and I told him jokingly no he's just a teddy bear. The guy said bull**** you hear that base in his voice? He's shakin that van back and forth he aint playin! I got a good laugh out of that.

Bottom line I can leave the windows cracked open and no one will have the grapes to reach in and take something since they usually walk as far away from it as possible to avoid him and thats just the way I like it. default_wink

Great dogs. I love the size and muscle mass of the Mastiff breed. I once approached a car with a woman in the front and a Mastiff (not sure which type) in the back seat with his head on her shoulder. His head appeared to be twice the size of hers. I was surprised at how well tempered he was. He had no problem with me approaching. He might have taken on a different tone if I were aggressive though. I try not to approach dogs that are in vehicles. I found that even Golden Retrievers can be defensive.

A friend of mine had an American Bulldog...very impressive but you had to be careful around him as he got older. I think he was around 120 pounds....solid muscle.

Jay in MA

Absolutely he'd bite. He chased several people out of the yard at different times thru his life and growled at others outside the fence or vehicle. He was an alfa which can help although my mastiff is no alpha yet he is more fierce than the newf was.

Mastiffs are very friendly also but mine is very protective and unfriendly except with family, small kids and other animals. He chased a lawn crew of six into the back of their pickup scared to death once when they showed up unannounced. They never did that again and I dont blame them he's a monster when angry. He puts on a good show in my van when I take him with me too. Everyone in the whole parking lot hears him and see's my van shaking and they appear stunned and know he means business. One time a man said thats a vicious dog you have there and I told him jokingly no he's just a teddy bear. The guy said bull**** you hear that base in his voice? He's shakin that van back and forth he aint playin! I got a good laugh out of that.

Bottom line I can leave the windows cracked open and no one will have the grapes to reach in and take something since they usually walk as far away from it as possible to avoid him and thats just the way I like it. default_wink

Yes mastiff's heads can be as big and even bigger than basketballs Ive seen it with my own eyes with one that had a head bigger than my mastiff that must have been 12"+ wide and Im not exaggerating, and several strangers have commented that mine has a head as big as a basketball. Its funny, people always start out saying how big he is and then that doesnt seem to quite describe him good enough so then they say how huge he is. He leaves an impression. The newf with his long coat always got comments from strangers about looking like a bear lol.

My personal preference for a home security system is my M1911A1 .45 ACP automatic, loaded with 230-grain Speer Gold Dot Hollow Points. Thankfully, I've never needed to use it.

K_Watson

My personal preference for a home security system is my M1911A1 .45 ACP automatic, loaded with 230-grain Speer Gold Dot Hollow Points. Thankfully, I've never needed to use it.

Amen, mine is a Ruger 9mm with Federal HPs.

........works for me. default_cool

Amen, mine is a Ruger 9mm with Federal HPs.

Larry do you have the long medium or short barrel on your 1911? You like how it shoots? My uncle has a 1991 .45 long barrel (govt) but I havent shot it yet. Ive heard it shoots great but I see that it will be more of a pain to field strip than my .45 tuarus pt945. The 1991 is much heavier than my .45 so recoil shouldnt bad but its not bad on mine either and it shoots great with 230gr rounds. Btw if you dont know the date of your 1911 you can call colt and they'll tell you for free.

Topic List: Go to Everything Else