Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

8th Gen Suspension

by twinky64, May 8, 2008

Twink,

I may be wrong, but I believe those pics are of the rear brake line. i.e. brake fluid.

Disconnect the fittings (watch out for brake fluid!), and thats about it...

The brake cable is just for the e-brake. which should be routed directly to your drum.

btw, are you replacing the entire strut? or just the insert? (not that it really matters... just wondering)

good luck

tdk

Twink, I may be wrong, but I believe those pics are of the rear brake line. i.e. brake fluid.

Disconnect the fittings (watch out for brake fluid!), and thats about it...

The brake cable is just for the e-brake. which should be routed directly to your drum.

btw, are you replacing the entire strut? or just the insert? (not that it really matters... just wondering)

good luck

tdk

It is the rear strut I want to replace. The front struts have a slit where you can just slide out the brake cable. The rear struts are different = no slit.

So in order to replace my rear struts, I have to separate the brake hose entirely? Would that mean that I have to bleed the brake system in order to do that?

If so, Toyota ufcked up big imo.

Yup, you have to either completely disconnect the rear brake line - that means you will have to bleed the brakes, not a bad thing to do on a regular basis, or if you a dremel or similar cut off tool - slot the rear bracket that holds the brake line and make it slide out. Only reason why Toyota didn't slot the rear, there was a chance the line will pop out under normal conditions. Couple that have slotted their own, had the line slide out on its own. Fortunantely, they were able to catch it in time before any damage was done.

I just installed TRD lowering springs in my 8th gen corolla for $100. I love the ride, it doesn't bounce much on the freeway concrete buckles but hugs the road well enough that on slightly larger bumps on the road, my 98 reacts. I saw that the rears are progressive and the fronts are linear. I think this is due to that when the car is cornering, the rear squats a little more than the front to shift the weight rearward, lightening the front and thus turns can be carried out faster.

I realize that my 98 ce lacks a front sway bar. Now that I've lowered my car and I have a strut bar, is a front sway bar going to reduce my sway much more? I've noticed that my body sway has pretty much been cut in half compared with the stock setup.

Also, does anybody know where I can get spring insulators that sit on the strut plate? I'm getting some spring noise in the back because my insulators have expanded and pretty much worn out. BTW, I'm not talking about the strut mounts.

I think my spring insulator has gone bad, anybody know of any materials that can replace it since I can't find anybody that sells it? Does anybody know who sells spring insulators?

Should be able to get a spring isolator pad from the dealership or from an online retailer like RockAuto. Don't want to get any material to sit in there - as those isolators can take quite a pounding from the springs.

As for the front sway - definitely think about getting that installed in the future. On a FWD, Macpherson strut front suspension, a swaybar will greatly help quicker, transient steering behavior at higher speeds. Depending on your driving situation, might not hit a condition where you will see the lack of a front swaybar coming into play. Lowering your ride might have helped cut the car's roll center, since it will grip the road a bit better, you might have a higher probability of seeing a loose front end when you push the car to the limit. I'd hold off from some extreme manuvers until you get a front sway. Depends on what you ultimately want, handling wise - but my rule of thumb, is that most front Macpherson strut FWD cars should have a swaybar, just for safety reasons alone.

Should be able to get a spring isolator pad from the dealership or from an online retailer like RockAuto. Don't want to get any material to sit in there - as those isolators can take quite a pounding from the springs.

As for the front sway - definitely think about getting that installed in the future. On a FWD, Macpherson strut front suspension, a swaybar will greatly help quicker, transient steering behavior at higher speeds. Depending on your driving situation, might not hit a condition where you will see the lack of a front swaybar coming into play. Lowering your ride might have helped cut the car's roll center, since it will grip the road a bit better, you might have a higher probability of seeing a loose front end when you push the car to the limit. I'd hold off from some extreme manuvers until you get a front sway. Depends on what you ultimately want, handling wise - but my rule of thumb, is that most front Macpherson strut FWD cars should have a swaybar, just for safety reasons alone.

fish, do you happen to know the stock spring rate vs the trd spring rate? Have you experienced or heard any reviews of the Bilsteins on 8th gen corollas compared to KYB

I believe the OEM spring rates are something like 125lbs/in front and 100lbs/in in the rear. TRD springs are just slightly stiffer (~40% more) - something like 175lbs/in front and 140lbs/in in the rear. Can't remember for sure - but those numbers are probably pretty close.

As for Bilsteins vs KYB for a Corolla or something similar in our class - especially the Touring class of Bilstein struts - not a whole lot of difference between them and KYB GR2 struts, other than the price (roughly twice as much as the KYBs). Running their sport class of struts - from various Corolla and Camry owners, Bilsteins can be very harsh and unforgiving - ride wise. Now if you upgraded to a Miata or similar with a heavier spring - then you might get better results with the more tightly controlled Bilsteins. Those cases, the Bilsteins would greatly outperform the relatively soft KYBs. For our cars - stick with KYBs - best bang for the buck. If you need more control or adjustablility - then I wouldn't spend the extra money on stiffer springs and Bilsteins - but leap frog up to true coil-overs.

I believe the OEM spring rates are something like 125lbs/in front and 100lbs/in in the rear. TRD springs are just slightly stiffer (~40% more) - something like 175lbs/in front and 140lbs/in in the rear. Can't remember for sure - but those numbers are probably pretty close.

As for Bilsteins vs KYB for a Corolla or something similar in our class - especially the Touring class of Bilstein struts - not a whole lot of difference between them and KYB GR2 struts, other than the price (roughly twice as much as the KYBs). Running their sport class of struts - from various Corolla and Camry owners, Bilsteins can be very harsh and unforgiving - ride wise. Now if you upgraded to a Miata or similar with a heavier spring - then you might get better results with the more tightly controlled Bilsteins. Those cases, the Bilsteins would greatly outperform the relatively soft KYBs. For our cars - stick with KYBs - best bang for the buck. If you need more control or adjustablility - then I wouldn't spend the extra money on stiffer springs and Bilsteins - but leap frog up to true coil-overs.

How well do the KYB's work with lowering springs? Can the KYBs be paired with lowering springs or will they fail in 20-30k miles?

On my car - the GR2 on TRD Springs (Eibach Pro) have held up for about 90K miles or so. Actually, I still have them on - the struts haven't started leaking, but the ride has deteriorated considerably. Put them on at around 40K miles, I think, car has 152K miles on the clock. Pretty good life for struts on lower springs. The key is making sure the spring does not push the strut too far - if you stick with a spring with about an 1"-1.25" drop - then you should be fine with the KYB-GR2. With something like a Tein S.Tech spring, which when settled, is usually around 2"-2.5" drop - that will really shorted the life of the strut. I've seen guys go through a set of struts in less than a year.

In terms of construction durability, which is better for lowered springs on an 01 corolla: KYB GR-2 or Gabriel Ultra?

Here's my dilemma. I could get a set of KYB's for $250 and install them on lowering springs (1.5" drop all around). Or I can go to autozone and buy Gabriel Ultra struts with a lifetime warranty so if they do fail prematurely, I can just swap it out free of charge. I've heard that KYB builds struts better than Gabriel but and has a firmer valving system that Gabriel. So I would expect the KYB's to last longer than Gabriels but when they do go out, I'm going to have to buy new struts every time. On the other hand, when the Gabriels go out, I can replace them myself free of charge. Any thoughts? I'm looking for a firm ride and with the KYB's I think I will get the ride I want compared to the Gabriels right?

The KYB GR2 would be a little firmer than the Gabriel strut - just by going by other reviews floating around. As far as warranty concerns - that is cmpletely up to you. Personally, I would rather put on a better part and change it 60K-80K miles down the and pay to get new ones, rather than wait for a lesser part to die and bring it in for warranty exchange. Keep in mind, with poorly performing struts - sure you'll get a replacement strut for a the bad one - but what about the potential collateral damage to tires (uneven wear), other suspension and steering components (accelerated wear and tear), or even the potential for an accident from poor or unpredicatable performance. Not worth the LLT warrant, IMO.

Plus, if you plan a running a lower spring - want to match the damping of the strut with spring rates. KYB GR2 are considered a good OEM replacements, lttle firmer than the original KYBs on the Corolla. KYBs are also reputed to have better fitment on most cars - I can vouch for the KYBs, fitment was like OEM. I know some struts you have to bend a bracket or cut/shave a piece here or there to make it fit - not sure if that applies to Gabriel struts through. The concensus online is that Gabriel is a big name - well known, but unfortuantly, like other well know names - been riding their namesake, instead of putting out the quality products that initially got them there.

Twink,

Sounds like you are in the same boat as me.

I would prefer to get KYB. The only reason I am considering the Gabriels is that i may get rid of the vehicle, and wanted something really cheap.

either way,

good luck!

tdk.

Topic List