Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Oil Filter Shelf Life

By Larry Roll April 20, 2008

Three or four years ago, I bought a carton of the smaller Toyota oil filters, p/n 90915-YZZF2. Then, after using a couple, I lost them when I moved. I've been using the larger filter, p/n ...YZZF1, for the past year. Recently, I found the carton of F2's, there are 9 left. I used one for my last oil change a couple of weeks ago, but I'm wondering -- are there any shelf life issues for oil filters? About the only component on them I can see which could deteriorate over time might be the rubber "O" ring gasket, but the couple I've examined, including the one recently used, seem fine. Since I'm doing only 3 oil changes a year, I have at least another 3 year's supply of filters up my sleeve, plus one of the larger YZZF1's I still haven't used. Will these be OK to keep using? Or are there issues involving internal components/materials which may not age well? Comments, please.

i think as long as they havent rusted and the rubber is OK then you're fine. i'd trust a 10yr old toyota filter more than a new fram filter. i've taken several off cars....one had no oil in it (bad anti drain back valve) and others....and this really scares me...the filter media was loose and i could shake it around inside the filter!

True about the frams. I'd never use them. Too many horror stories. Sad that they make honda filters now. If you drive a honda make sure that filtek made the filter not fram.

The concerns about long term storage of filters are moisture, rust, dirt and bugs inside the filter since most people store their filters in the garage or shop where humidity is higher than in the home typically. I keep mine in the shop so I fill them with oil and smear some oil on the metal by the gasket and keep them in the box. Some people wrap their filters in plastic bags to keep the dirt and bugs out. Some people keep them in their homes but I prefer to keep automotive items in the shop.

Bikeman982

I think the filters would be safe to use, especially if they are still in the carton.

My carton of filters were kept in a box in an unused bedroom on the second level of my house, which I use as a store room. Temperature and humidity are same as in the rest of the house. The one YZZF1 filter is kept in the garage, but it is still less than a year old; I'll move it upstairs with the rest of the filters, but it still has the plastic seal on the open end (they all do) which is quite intact, so it still looks factory fresh -- again, as do they all. I'll just be sure to inspect each one carefully before using it. Like I said, I have at least a three year supply of filters! A neighbor of mine also has a 9th gen Corolla, I'll ask if he wants to buy a few of my filters.

A guy on another forum actually had a toyota filter explode on him so he's never using them again. Anyone heard of this happening with toyota filters much? It must be rare from what Ive seen. Its not rare with fram filters from what Ive seen though and now theyre making honda filters so I switched to wix for my honda.

Bikeman982

A guy on another forum actually had a toyota filter explode on him so he's never using them again. Anyone heard of this happening with toyota filters much? It must be rare from what Ive seen. Its not rare with fram filters from what Ive seen though and now theyre making honda filters so I switched to wix for my honda.
I never heard of one exploding, but I know some don't seal or filter well.

As long as they've been away from excessive moisture you should be fine. If you see no rust I wouldn't worry.

My carton of filters were kept in a box in an unused bedroom on the second level of my house, which I use as a store room. Temperature and humidity are same as in the rest of the house. The one YZZF1 filter is kept in the garage, but it is still less than a year old; I'll move it upstairs with the rest of the filters, but it still has the plastic seal on the open end (they all do) which is quite intact, so it still looks factory fresh -- again, as do they all. I'll just be sure to inspect each one carefully before using it. Like I said, I have at least a three year supply of filters! A neighbor of mine also has a 9th gen Corolla, I'll ask if he wants to buy a few of my filters.

A friend told me his Ford truck exploded one many years ago.

I think it was a Fram. Can't go wrong with a Wix. They also make NAPA.

Exploding oil filters? What might cause such a thing? Some sort of internal blockage which causes pressure to build up? That's the only thing I can think of. Possible cause: not changing the oil/filter often enough! Either that, or there was some sort of fatal manufacturing defect in that particular lot of filters.

Topic List: Go to Everything Else