Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

The Right To Travel And Licensing

By twinky64, April 16, 2008

Personally, I have no problem with the states requiring a driver's license, regulating the issuance thereof, and requiring the testing of drivers for their knowledge of the rules of the road and for their ability to actually drive the vehicle. This all falls under the concept of the state upholding it's responsibility to it's citizens for them to go about their daily duties in safety and without the hinderance of individuals who have no regard for their safety.

I believe in the concept of driving as a privilege, as opposed to a right. However, I believe that all citizens, if they are able to meet reasonable qualifications, should be granted the "right" to access this "privilege." And, among the qualifications which should be necessary, are legal residency within the state. In other words, no driver's licenses granted to illegal immigrants. Period. If they have a green card, they can be given a driver's license good for as long as their resident alien status is in effect. (Do "green cards" have expiration dates? I don't know.)

Without driver's licensing and sufficient regulation, the roads would eventually become unusable. Mad Max style. I believe driver's licensing and regulation of traffic is a legitimate function of government.

Bikeman982

Let anyone drive on public roads without any type of licensing and all the drunks, bad drivers, and other unqualified people will be out there with us driver's who had to pass a written test, eye exam, and driving test to be able to drive.

right to travel doesnt mean you have the right to be the one driving. you can walk, ride a bicycle, be a passenger, etc.

Bikeman982

Public transportation and carpooling are under-utilized.

I think that a "license" is effective. However, a license by definition gives one the ability to perform something illegally. When you purchase your vehicle, in california you practically donate your vehicle, or hand over, to the state. The state thus allows you to drive the vehicle at a cost. I do not agree with that bit.

If you buy your car, I think the car should belong to you, not the state.

Thus since your state owns your vehicle, you can drive it for an annual fee (dmv registration renewal) varying on the type of vehicle purchased. Outrageous i think. Your car isn't private property, its state property. Therefore, you cannot slap on just any ol' aftermarket, you have to pay more for an aftermarket to be "legal". SRI on ebay is $30. A CARB EO SRI is $180+. If you get pulled over, and the officer asks to search your vehicle, the officer pretty much has the right to search it; because its not yours, its the state's property. Which again gives them permission to impound your vehicle as well.

What is the point of paying driver's license renewal fee? They don't test you again to see if your eligible aside from a visual test. The only thing I can think of is collecting money. I would think that if registration, tickets, license renewal, and insurance, were taken out of the equation, the money going to the gov't would decrease by the hundreds of millions of dollars. (taking into consideration that say 150million people own a vehicle).

Aside from that, insurance is fine, it has good intentions never the less. And without traffic laws, driving would be chaotic and extremely dangerous. Though, I think the police is kinda abusing it a little. I don't believe somebody getting pulled over for driving 3 mph over the speed limit in a safe condition is doing society any better in my opinion. But then again, police is trained in proceedural law and thus if there was one road in Antarctica with a speed limit of 65mph and I was driving 70mph with absolutely nobody around me for 300miles, I bet money that the police officer would pull me over.

The right to travel: by foot, bus, train, passenger, etc; thats all great if they work in southern cali. If the bus system and train system is run by the counties and state correspondingly, and I pay my state taxes, why should I pay more to use public services? Its like going to a public elementary school or public high school and paying tuition. Or get this, its like going to California State University of Fullerton and paying tuition! default_ohmy (i thought it was a public school)

P.S. if anyone knows why I pay state public college tuition, please let me know. thanks

uh no, you're free to drive your car all you want for free on private roads. you need no plate or registration to do that. your driving on a public road is what costs money since it cost the state money to build and maintain that road. understand?

as for public school tuition, you pay for all the things the state is not paying for. the state only pays $XX.XX per student attending + a percentage of utilities, repairs, maintenance, staffing, books, computers, libraries, internet access, etc etc. your tuition is what makes the difference so the school can operate and provide a decent education. have you ever been to an inner city public school where no one pays tuition? send your child there for a semester and you'll gladly pay tuition.

uh no, you're free to drive your car all you want for free on private roads. you need no plate or registration to do that. your driving on a public road is what costs money since it cost the state money to build and maintain that road. understand?

as for public school tuition, you pay for all the things the state is not paying for. the state only pays $XX.XX per student attending + a percentage of utilities, repairs, maintenance, staffing, books, computers, libraries, internet access, etc etc. your tuition is what makes the difference so the school can operate and provide a decent education. have you ever been to an inner city public school where no one pays tuition? send your child there for a semester and you'll gladly pay tuition.

ah. I was under the impression that public roads are being paid for by me and my state taxes and everybody else's tax contributions.

Unfortunately, all cars that are sold at a dealership are already pre-registered. So even if your vehicle's registration expires, that just means the "lease" for you to drive the vehicle is expired. The state still owns your vehicle regardless of expired registration. I think in commufornia, you still have to register your vehicle even if you plan to drive it offroad only right?

So, I think the only way to get around this is to build your own vehicle and never register it and drive it on private roads.

By inner city public school you mean universities and colleges correct? If not, I've been attending elementary, jr. high, and high school with no tuition. Just fees if I don't return my books at the end of the year. I also think, and just my opinion, that all the public schools in california dont need $56billion for 9674 + 22 cal states. Thats $5 773 195.88 per school. But that's just my opinion.

my public high school had in district tuition which was like $600 per student per year, but its a pretty good school. as for public universities, do you know how much it costs to run one of those places? ALOT, do you know how much the state gives them? far less than ALOT. compared to a private university though it is dirt cheap!

• 1,424 posts

Your state has the strictest emissions mandates and regulations in the ENTIRE US.

Your state's ARB and legislature have made a valiant attempt in the past 25 years to clean your air (the dirtiest air in the country) by eliminating gross polluting cars.

The programs that keep you from having 41 stage I smog alerts like you did in the summer of 2000 are not cheap.

It seems to me that it is only fair that California makes the drivers bear the cost of these programs since it is their cars that are emitting the pollution that CARB is trying to clean up. Making your registration costs high is about the only fair way to do this.

In my honest opinion that is just one of the many things that you must endure if you live in California.

If you have such a problem with living in California, may I suggest that you move somewhere else once you graduate.

There are many states where the license, registration and plates fees are little more than the cost of the material used to make them and there are no emissions tests.

Ohio would be one such place. Our licenses cost less than $35 and are good for 4 years, In the same 4 year period, we would need 4 license plate renewals at ~$55 each. If I am doing my math correctly, it only costs me $255 every four years to have a driver's license and a set of plates and registration for my car. That is way less than one monthly lease payment for the car. When you consider how many salaries that money pays for and the how much the equipment used to make the licenses and steel used to make the plates costs, $255 every 4 years is a bargain.

Without licensing and registration it would be impossible to have even the level of order we have on the road today. If you didn't have a license, how could you demonstrate to an insurance company that you were a safe driver and therefore deserved to pay a lower premium. If you didn't have a registration/title (since a title is just a more formal registration) and your car was stolen, how would you prove to the insurer that you owned it?

Your state has the strictest emissions mandates and regulations in the ENTIRE US.

Your state's ARB and legislature have made a valiant attempt in the past 25 years to clean your air (the dirtiest air in the country) by eliminating gross polluting cars.

The programs that keep you from having 41 stage I smog alerts like you did in the summer of 2000 are not cheap.

It seems to me that it is only fair that California makes the drivers bear the cost of these programs since it is their cars that are emitting the pollution that CARB is trying to clean up. Making your registration costs high is about the only fair way to do this.

In my honest opinion that is just one of the many things that you must endure if you live in California.

If you have such a problem with living in California, may I suggest that you move somewhere else once you graduate.

There are many states where the license, registration and plates fees are little more than the cost of the material used to make them and there are no emissions tests.

Ohio would be one such place. Our licenses cost less than $35 and are good for 4 years, In the same 4 year period, we would need 4 license plate renewals at ~$55 each. If I am doing my math correctly, it only costs me $255 every four years to have a driver's license and a set of plates and registration for my car. That is way less than one monthly lease payment for the car. When you consider how many salaries that money pays for and the how much the equipment used to make the licenses and steel used to make the plates costs, $255 every 4 years is a bargain.

Without licensing and registration it would be impossible to have even the level of order we have on the road today. If you didn't have a license, how could you demonstrate to an insurance company that you were a safe driver and therefore deserved to pay a lower premium. If you didn't have a registration/title (since a title is just a more formal registration) and your car was stolen, how would you prove to the insurer that you owned it?

I think I might move out of state. California is the most greedy state and the most likely to sue as well. Lets say that somebody worked his/her entire life in california and wants to retire to florida. California, last I heard, is still going to try and tax your pensions, even though you are not a resident of the state anymore. California, or commufornia as I like to call it, is way too liberal for me.

Back to the issue, I pay $65 to renew my registration. If registration is so bona fide in the effort to prove ownership, why pay a fee? As a matter of fact, why cant you just prove ownership once and that's that? Why renew it? to make sure that you are still the owner? Why not register to the DMV instead of the state? The insurance company can still look up ownership in DMV records and not have your car registered to state, i.o.w. not owned by the state.

In terms of pollution, I'm soooooooo extremely happy contour that you didn't bring up global warming myth. I'll start another topic on that.

[i found a new alternative to relaxing music: not jazz, not classical, but something called ambient chill]

Topic List: Go to Everything Else