Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Prizm Vandalized

by K_Watson, April 13, 2008

K_Watson

I opened my hood today to find my Prizm had been vandalized. My hood insulation had been ripped out, my felt battery protector shredded, spark plug wires sliced up, trash on my engine, and feces all over the engine bay.

I took pictures of the damage and set off to catch the culprit. After an extensive search and an exhaustive 20 min chase I apprehended the vandal. However, she was so scared and cried a lot so I took pity on her, and released her after a short drive.

The vandal...

http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/8670/dscn0477jg8.jpg

The damage...

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/1337/dscn0473ry8.jpg

http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/9090/dscn0475vr2.jpg

it may be cute and funny, but i've seen mouse and rat damage really wrack up some bills for people! if it had chewed through a wire vital to your vvti system, cooling fan, or something else vital it could have caused a long headache for you.

K_Watson

Yes it could have been rather aggravating if she had done more damage but luckily I cought it early. Look at the third picture and see what is right below her "nest". It could have been really bad.

When was the last time you drove the car? It didn't happen over night did it?

Bikeman982

Obviously the car is not driven very much and it is parked in a bad location.

At least the vandal did not break a window to get in or steal your wheels.

K_Watson

Actually it is driven every day, parked in a garage, and it happened in only a few nights.

Wow - overnight, that little guy sounds like it was very busy. I get that sometimes as well, but usually with these little guys and over a few week period of inactivity.

http://www.just-a-webpage.com/rantings/wp-...12/chipmunk.jpg

For little buggers - they can do a heck of a lot of damage in a short period of time. I actually fired one out of my tailpipe when I started one of my older cars up from being "pickled" over the wintertime. Engine was turning over kind of weird - so I hooked a booster to the car and gave it a couple more pumps of gas (carb - Quadrajet), got it to light and POP - thing shot out of the tailpipe and bounced off the back part of the garage.

Bikeman982

Maybe you need to sprinkle some rodent repellent on your motor??

Max

Varmints. One of 'em made a nest on my cabin air filter last year. Thought I'd never get all the junk out of the general vicinity of the filter. And yes, it's a daily driver kept in an attached garage.

Yes it could have been rather aggravating if she had done more damage but luckily I cought it early. Look at the third picture and see what is right below her "nest". It could have been really bad.

or pretty funny....imagine how high a mouse would jump if you hit it with 45,000 volts! it might have made a dent in your hood!!

Bikeman982

Varmints. One of 'em made a nest on my cabin air filter last year. Thought I'd never get all the junk out of the general vicinity of the filter. And yes, it's a daily driver kept in an attached garage.
Must have some holes in the garage!!

Take the car for a nice long drive. The instigator will find a heat shield or serpentine belt eventually. Problem solved. Just make sure you get a couple scented tree thingies for your interior. They run about 99 cents a pop. Good luck.

Now, for me personally, I wouldn't have the heart to that. I'd probably release it somewhere down the road and it would scurry back a few miles just so it can find it's way right back into my doghouse again. default_laugh

Bikeman982

I have known cats that have found the warmth of an engine, only to be wrapped up in a belt when the car was started.

I know a stray cat that took a nap in a truck's engine bay. scared the heck outta him. owner of the truck ended up keeping the cat and now that cat is petrified of going outside. as soon as he gets 1 inch outside the door, his nails come out and he tries as hard as he can to get back inside.

Oh, and sorry for bringing an old thread back from the dead. had a good subject line that caught my eye

Bikeman982

I was expecting hoodlums, or juevenile delinquents, not rodents acting on instincts!!

My brother lived in VA and was having trouble with squirrels gnawing through the plastic Camry radiator tanks.

Jay in MA

I was expecting hoodlums, or juevenile delinquents, not rodents acting on instincts!!

Bikeman982

My brother lived in VA and was having trouble with squirrels gnawing through the plastic Camry radiator tanks.

Jay in MA

Didn't the hot radiator fluid bother them??

I never asked but assume that it occurred when the car was cool.

Jay in MA

Bikeman982

I never asked but assume that it occurred when the car was cool.

Jay in MA

Even cold coolant can be deadly, if consumed.

Topic List