Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Shuttering

by heathbo, April 9, 2008

I don't know whats going on. My 2000 corolla starts to shutter and shake around 60 mph. It gets progressively worse the faster I go. When I decelerate to 55 everything is fine. My car just passed the 121,000 mark.

Bikeman982

We have had a few posts with similar problems.

Could be tires/wheels/etc.

Might even be bent rims, tie rod ends, front alignment, tire air pressure, etc.

Also may be a steering problem - lots of possible causes.

Did it just start doing it, or has it been doing it for a while??

What was the last thing worked on the car??

Have you had an accident, front end work done, tires rotated or changed??

Max

Shuddering/shaking at higher speeds that stops when you slow down is usually a wheel balance issue. Start there. It's a cheap and easy fix.

Bikeman982

Shuddering/shaking at higher speeds that stops when you slow down is usually a wheel balance issue. Start there. It's a cheap and easy fix.
Sometimes the weights that are put on to balance the wheels fall off and throw the wheels out of balance.

That causes them shake at speed.

I had the exact same problem when I ordered and installed new steel rims that had the wrong center bore; that is the hole in the center was too big. When I went over 60 mph, there was a shimmy and shake until I slowed down. I returned the rims and installed the correct center bore rims; that fixed the problem, thanks to my tire guy from the 'hood.

I have been enjoying the last 3000 miles of driving as I FINALLY achieved no steering wheel vibrations during freeway driving (thankyou America's Tire!). So I rotated my tires yesterday and LO AND BEHOLD super shaky steering wheel at freeway speeds. My question is how on earth can this happen?

Max

Happens to me every time I rotate but don't balance. Not sure why. In my case, I'm thinking the tires are aging and they're out of round. Any chance you have the same issue?

I have been enjoying the last 3000 miles of driving as I FINALLY achieved no steering wheel vibrations during freeway driving (thankyou America's Tire!). So I rotated my tires yesterday and LO AND BEHOLD super shaky steering wheel at freeway speeds. My question is how on earth can this happen?
bad tire or bent wheel, it had been rotated to the rear and now is at the front again.

rotate front to back one wheel at a time till it stops. i had the same thing going on, turned out to be a broken belt in a tire that was causing a bulge. only caused problems when the wheel was in the front, in the rear i felt nothing.

Happens to me every time I rotate but don't balance. Not sure why. In my case, I'm thinking the tires are aging and they're out of round. Any chance you have the same issue?
I bought new tires back in august. I do not think or highly unlikely that my tires are deforming due to use as of yet. They are still pretty much brand new

SHUTTERING.....NO...NO...NO.....I WANT TO OPEN YOUR EYES TO ANOTHER ISSUE...YES IT COULD BE WHEELS,BALANCE...ETC.....FOR ME IT WAS NONE OF THOSE...I USED THE SAME WORDS TO MY MECHENIC...SHUTTERING WHEN I HIT OVER 55 MPH. ..IT WAS AN INJECTOR NOT FIRING RIGHT UNDER STRESS OF EXCELERATION. IT WAS POWER ISSUE HE FIXED FOR 125$$$... UNDER HARD EXCELARATION..........................

Max

Welcome to the forum, Saber. Glad you got your injector fixed, but I doubt Twinky or I have that problem, since wheel balancing makes the vibrating stop.

Hello All again. 2000 Corolla CE, runs like a charm with 146,000 miles, 33 mph (mostly highway) except; I have had new brake pads installed in the front and new tires, balanced on all four corners. After the brake job, I have shaking right through the steering wheel at speeds of 55 mph and up. This shaking comes and goes at highway cruising. When I brake at these speeds there is no increase in the shaking as I would expect if I had warped rotors. There are no noises that come with bad struts or bad control arms or steering rack leaking. Any ideas??? Help!

Also, is there really any cure for a cracked windshield?

I don't know whats going on. My 2000 corolla starts to shutter and shake around 60 mph. It gets progressively worse the faster I go. When I decelerate to 55 everything is fine. My car just passed the 121,000 mark.

try a tire rotation

Topic List