Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Forced Induction Vs. Fuel Economy

By twinky64, April 5, 2008

Would placing a supercharger or a turbocharger on a vehicle make the vehicle more fuel efficient (cruising at 65mph) if the engine has no internal work done? (ie. fuel injectors, etc.)

I say yes because the added forced air into the cylinder produces a bigger bang per fuel injected. Although it takes power to spin an sc or tc, the power back from them would more than compensate for it.

Would placing a supercharger or a turbocharger on a vehicle make the vehicle more fuel efficient (cruising at 65mph) if the engine has no internal work done? (ie. fuel injectors, etc.)

I say yes because the added forced air into the cylinder produces a bigger bang per fuel injected. Although it takes power to spin an sc or tc, the power back from them would more than compensate for it.

Sorry but that won't be the case with a supercharger no matter what because it's power runs off the engine. For example all the TRD supercharger you can get tell you that there is going to be a loss of MPG. Now for a turbocharger I have never heard of anyone getting better mpg's. Now the main cause of the loss of mpg's is because of the lead foot everyone gets when adding one or the other.

Forced induction any fuel economy do npt go hand and hand. Even if you do not have a lead foot, just the fact that there is more "air" being shoved into the cylinders + plus the associated increase in fuel, means that you will indeed use more fuel, even at cruising speeds. True, there is more power available, so you have the ability to do more - but that advantage is wiped away at a steady state cruise.

Now if you said, which car would give you better fuel economy if running from a dead stop to 100MPH, up a continuous grade, while pulling a trailer - then maybe it will be a different story for the forced induction cars.

Topic List: Go to Everything Else